[SOLVED] 65" UHD TV or VR Headset?

xibalban

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012
Hello fellas,

I live in a shared apartment and my space is pretty limited. I like watching movies during the weekends/evenings mostly off Netflix or Youtube. I was thinking of getting a 65" UHD TV for a theatre like ambience (I know you can't simulate a theatre without costly setup, but as much as possible). But, the other problem is I'm not supposed to make much noise, as the apartment is shared.

Can I go for a VR headset instead, and will I be able to hook it up to my iPhone or something to stream videos from? I would like to explore VR experiences too like Google earth on VR, sports simulation, etc. My primary use would still be streaming videos and to simulate a theatre-like feel, if that's possible.

Please suggest which VR set would really work for me. I thank you in advance and wish you all a Happy New Year.

Cheers!!

Solution
yeah. if all you're wanting mostly is for TV movie watching, get whatever 4K TV you want, then get a firestick 4K and a pair of decent bluetooth headphones to connect wirelessly.

I have been using a pair of Bluedio T4S headphones for a long time now and they are great. have good sound, high volume, and great battery life.

There's newer versions now. You can get up to the T7 (Turbine 7th Generation)
The T7 on Amazon is $40.
The T5 is $30
The T4S is still about $50 though.
(T4S being better than T4 since there was an manufacturing issue with the T4 and they quickly replaced it with the T4S)

regardless, you can get decent over ear bluetooth headphones with good sound and battery for about $40 from them.

And the firestick 4K is...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
If you forgo the use of a smart tv built in apps and get a firestick 4K, you can connect bluetooth headphones to the firestick and make it so nobody but you hears the audio of movies and stuff.

as for VR, the type of VR you are talking about is usually done on the cheap using a cheap head mount that you put your phone into and look at it's screen.

not real VR and not expensive.

You don't connect phone to real VR headsets. Those are for PC use or standalone if using something like the Oculus Quest.

xibalban

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012
If you forgo the use of a smart tv built in apps and get a firestick 4K, you can connect bluetooth headphones to the firestick and make it so nobody but you hears the audio of movies and stuff.

as for VR, the type of VR you are talking about is usually done on the cheap using a cheap head mount that you put your phone into and look at it's screen.

not real VR and not expensive.

You don't connect phone to real VR headsets. Those are for PC use or standalone if using something like the Oculus Quest.
Thanks for the response. So, essentially, you're telling me that a VR setup is an overkill for me and it's better to just go for the TV. Advice well taken.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
yeah. if all you're wanting mostly is for TV movie watching, get whatever 4K TV you want, then get a firestick 4K and a pair of decent bluetooth headphones to connect wirelessly.

I have been using a pair of Bluedio T4S headphones for a long time now and they are great. have good sound, high volume, and great battery life.

There's newer versions now. You can get up to the T7 (Turbine 7th Generation)
The T7 on Amazon is $40.
The T5 is $30
The T4S is still about $50 though.
(T4S being better than T4 since there was an manufacturing issue with the T4 and they quickly replaced it with the T4S)

regardless, you can get decent over ear bluetooth headphones with good sound and battery for about $40 from them.

And the firestick 4K is currently on discount from $50 to only $25 so now is the best time to get one of those.

As for doing stuff like google earth and whatnot, i've never messed with that so I'm not sure if it's a thing you do on your phone, but for any phone based "VR" you can just get a fairly cheap "VR" phone headset that you put your phone inside of the face plate in order to mess around with that.

Solution

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
With vr you can sit in a fake theatre and watch your tv or movie, it is believable in the same way a lot of vr stuff is but dont think I ever watched anything all the way through like that. I had a original oculus rift and the smaller theatre screen resolution you look at doesnt compare to a 4k tv for simply 2d film watching.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I'll just say that I tried watching a movie using my Lenovo Headset. I got about 60 minutes in before it became a distraction and about 90 minutes in before it just became too uncomfortable to continue. Personally, I'd stick with the option given above with the nice HDTV and bluetooth headphones.

-Wolf sends

xibalban

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012
Thanks guys for sharing your experiences, and the valuable feedback and suggestions.

You get these 4K TV sets with Roku built-in and I was kinda thinking I'd purchase one. How does fire stick compare to roku?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Thanks guys for sharing your experiences, and the valuable feedback and suggestions.

You get these 4K TV sets with Roku built-in and I was kinda thinking I'd purchase one. How does fire stick compare to roku?
I would personally just get a fire stick 4k. I have a Roku enabled smart TV but I literally never use that part of it and just use my 4k stick because it's simpler.

It's Android based so you get better versions and updates to the apps.
It has all the Amazon stuff in it too if you're a prime user.
And I can connect my Bluetooth headphones to it for wireless listening while kicking back on my bed across the room.

Then there's the ability to use Kodi as a media center application to turn it into an HTPC like device.

xibalban

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012
I would personally just get a fire stick 4k. I have a Roku enabled smart TV but I literally never use that part of it and just use my 4k stick because it's simpler.

It's Android based so you get better versions and updates to the apps.
It has all the Amazon stuff in it too if you're a prime user.
And I can connect my Bluetooth headphones to it for wireless listening while kicking back on my bed across the room.

Then there's the ability to use Kodi as a media center application to turn it into an HTPC like device.
I did a comparison of built-in Roku 4K TV vs the 4K Amazon Stick, and it all went down as a personal preference with both the devices being equally good at what they do. Roku also allows connection to wired headsets using its remote which has 3.5 mm headphones port, or by using the Roku remote app on the phone (the feature is called private listening). I personally dislike being locked to the Amazon ecosystem (and the personalized ads that it puts up on my TV), so eventually, I settled down with Roku TV. I haven't yet shopped though, as there are a bunch of brands to choose from Vizio, TCL, Sharp and the like.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
not sure what you are talking about with personalized ads..... haven't ever noticed anything like an ad when using my stick.

only thing I can possibly consider and ad is at the very top under home where it cycles through a few movies and tv shows that you can stream either from Prime video, or from some other streaming free streaming app service.

But it's not intrusive and feels no different than when at the top of Netflix when they cycle images and stuff of shows they think you might want to check out.

But you do you I guess.

I didn't know that the remote itself had a 3.5mm jack on it. Must be a brand new feature.

I did know about using the app on your phone for streaming audio, but I didn't mention it or consider an option from the Roku since I've used it myself and don't like it.

Audio is transferred over your home network to your phone and this has latency issues as well as the audio cutting out and getting funky quite regularly, and this is even with my TV hard lined with ethernet and my phone connected to the 5Ghz WiFi literally in the same room as the router.

That's why I didn't say anything because I consider that to be a bad experience compared to just connecting my fire stick to 5GHz WiFi and using Bluetooth headphones for a proper wireless and audio experience.

But like I said, you do you.
A TV with Roku built in will offer good streaming experience by default.
Viewing experience will vary depending on which TV you get and it's overall quality.

And as for the targeted ads thing, again, I've never experienced anything after all this time, and if there is an ad, it's so off to the side and insignificant that I never even noticed.

Especially when all I'm doing on the stick is clicking down a twice and over to the right if need be to get to whatever streaming app I want to use.

Glad we've been able to help you decide on what you want to do and figure things out though. Take care :)

xibalban

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012
not sure what you are talking about with personalized ads..... haven't ever noticed anything like an ad when using my stick.

only thing I can possibly consider and ad is at the very top under home where it cycles through a few movies and tv shows that you can stream either from Prime video, or from some other streaming free streaming app service.

But it's not intrusive and feels no different than when at the top of Netflix when they cycle images and stuff of shows they think you might want to check out.

But you do you I guess.

I didn't know that the remote itself had a 3.5mm jack on it. Must be a brand new feature.

I did know about using the app on your phone for streaming audio, but I didn't mention it or consider an option from the Roku since I've used it myself and don't like it.

Audio is transferred over your home network to your phone and this has latency issues as well as the audio cutting out and getting funky quite regularly, and this is even with my TV hard lined with ethernet and my phone connected to the 5Ghz WiFi literally in the same room as the router.

That's why I didn't say anything because I consider that to be a bad experience compared to just connecting my fire stick to 5GHz WiFi and using Bluetooth headphones for a proper wireless and audio experience.

But like I said, you do you.
A TV with Roku built in will offer good streaming experience by default.
Viewing experience will vary depending on which TV you get and it's overall quality.

And as for the targeted ads thing, again, I've never experienced anything after all this time, and if there is an ad, it's so off to the side and insignificant that I never even noticed.

Especially when all I'm doing on the stick is clicking down a twice and over to the right if need be to get to whatever streaming app I want to use.

Glad we've been able to help you decide on what you want to do and figure things out though. Take care :)
I have noted your points. There are other subtle factors for me choosing an in-built Roku TV like:
  1. Single remote for all purposes (like switching between terrestrial TV and streaming)
  2. Less power supplies and cables dangling everywhere, as the stick requires a separate power cable and occupies an HDMI port.
  3. There are so many videos on Youtube titled - "how to remove annoying ads on amazon stick".
Thanks anyways.