650w Power Cord for 850w PSU?

gesseler555

Prominent
Sep 13, 2018
Hey, I live in India and I recently bought a Corsair RM850x fully modular PSU but when I opened it up I found what could be a bit of a mix-up, the power cord for the PSU provided in the box appeared to have the UK plug type (with flat 3-pin connectors in a plug marked to be 13A). But the plug connectors in my region are rounded, with the sockets for high-end appliances rated to be what I think is 15A (anyone from India here might clarify, I'm not much of an expert in this).

What I want to ask is, I do have my older Antec VP650P (650w) PSU which has the correct power cord for my region, so can I just use this cord for the RM850x? And is the connector at the PSU end universal for all power supplies? I'm asking cuz just because something appears to fit might not always mean that its meant to be used that way.

Also, the wattage difference between the PSUs...is a power cord which came with a 650w PSU only good enough for something of that wattage? The new PSU in my case can pull upto 200w more from the wall** than what my old one was rated for.

** in my case, an APC uninterrupted power supply.

Or should I just ask Corsair/my seller for a new plug? I'm asking because I just got a brand new 1080Ti and I don't want to subject it (or my hard drives, Mobo and CPU for that matter) to any unwarranted experimentation on my part. And I don't want to use adapters for this very reason.