[SOLVED] 650w PSU i9 10900k 1.35v + noctua nh-d15 not enough wattage?

bishopi5

Distinguished
I have been having some weird troubles with my new build, Random power offs and freezes, i was told 650w is more then enough but after some hard research it seems my system can drawy 450w+ without the CPU cooler... Which is HUGE, after googling a bit i found some info and most twin tower coolers are like 200w? Noctua just wont show me how much wattage the noctua nh-d15 is, but if its 200watts i imagine my PSU is to weak? I don't know much about power suppllies so i would love some help.

Thanks in advance

PSU : CoolerMaster V650

Solution
First of all, temper your expectations for maximum all core overclocks.
Historical binning statistics indicate that only one % of 10900K processors can do a stable 5.1:
https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

For gaming, the cpu demand will come primarily from the single master thread.
I might experiment with overclocking individual cores separately.
Perhaps two cores at 5.3 and the rest much lower.
I have been having some weird troubles with my new build, Random power offs and freezes, i was told 650w is more then enough but after some hard research it seems my system can drawy 450w+ without the CPU cooler... Which is HUGE, after googling a bit i found some info and most twin tower coolers are like 200w? Noctua just wont show me how much wattage the noctua nh-d15 is, but if its 200watts i imagine my PSU is to weak? I don't know much about power suppllies so i would love some help.

Thanks in advance

No the cooler wattage is how much heat it can dissipate. The cooler can take 200W of heat energy from the cpu. As long as you’re not stupidly overclocking the chip you’ll be fine with 650W. Have you overclocked the CPU at all? What memory do you have? Make sure everything is plugged in at the PSU and the components.

bishopi5

Distinguished
It is overclocked and its why i paid $170 for the cooler, its running at 1.35v and everything is installed correctly.

Are you sure 650w is enough? Gold rated says 92% effeciency so i imagine that means it can't even run at 650 for long, its a new system im not sure what else could be making it shut down randomly

The 10900k can draw some pretty crazy watts overclocked from what im seeing

Memory is corsair vengeance pro rgb 3200 16gb (8+8)

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Thanks in advance

The cooler has just 2 fans that need power about 1 Watt per fan.
https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a15-pwm/specification

About 200 watts for the video card.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/gigabyte-gtx-1070-xtreme-gaming/24.html

Gold rated says 92% effeciency so i imagine that means it can't even run at 650 for long,
That's not how it works. A good 650w psu can deliver 650w for a very long time at a particular temperature. When it delivers 650w it draws 707w from the wallsocket with 92% of efficiency.

When you have a random shutdown do you have to disconnect the psu from the wallsocket or can you restart immediatly. Or does the system restarts itself?

A cooler needs minimal power for the fans; only a handful of watts.
Your NH-D15 is one of the best such coolers around.
Because it is so good, the motherboard knows that it can increase the power draw to the cpu to let it turbo up higher than normal.
Your 1070 only needs a single 8 pin connector which, along with the power from the pcie slot only amounts to 225w max.

Overclocking is good if you have multithreaded batch apps where increasing the performance of all cores is needed.
Today, the advances in turbo management seem to me to reduce the benefit of overclocking.
Motherboard turbo management will increase the performance of a few cores above what you would get by overclocking all cores.

I think I would run without overclocking and see how you do.

bishopi5

Distinguished
This GTX 1070 needs an 8pin + 6pin

I did try without the overclock and is considerably less FPS but this is because i play on 1080p on extemely unoptimised games, Most of the load is on the CPU

I will try with stock settings even if it stopped losing power it would hardly fix my issue, i bought the chip and the cooler and the motherboard to overclock.

First of all, temper your expectations for maximum all core overclocks.
Historical binning statistics indicate that only one % of 10900K processors can do a stable 5.1:

For gaming, the cpu demand will come primarily from the single master thread.
I might experiment with overclocking individual cores separately.
Perhaps two cores at 5.3 and the rest much lower.

Solution

bishopi5

Distinguished
Ok im trying default settings now but it this does stop it shutting down surely something is wrong? This CPU can run at 1.35 volts quite safely and the temps are great and the PSU is more then enough.

I thought "Unstable" overclock is just blue screens and what not, not complete random sudden shut downs

Yes it restarts itself after few seconds

bishopi5

Distinguished
ok guys so continuing my thread

I have built many computers and overclocked for years, as stated in the thread my coolermaster v650 is plenty for my system, I have NEVER experienced this overclocking, no matter much voltage or how unstable always just freezes / BSODS / no boot

But my computer restarts randomly when i have it overclocked, makes no sense to me, at stock settings my i9-10900k runs over 1.335 volts, if i run 5.2 on all cores at 1.35 or 1.375 i get random restarts, like complete shutdowns then it turns itself on after 2 seconds, This happens randomly once or twice a day, gaming or idle, im yet to see it happen at stock settings in bios, i have ordered a UPS but its only 390 / 700VA im hoping its enough it should come tomorrow, just to rule out my house wiring. Any help would be appreciated i bought this rig to overclock

MOBO : MSI MAG z490 TOMAHAWK
CPU : i9 10900k
SSD : 970PLUS NVME 1tb
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PRO RGB 3200 16gb (8x8)
CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15

ok guys so continuing my thread

I have built many computers and overclocked for years, as stated in the thread my coolermaster v650 is plenty for my system, I have NEVER experienced this overclocking, no matter much voltage or how unstable always just freezes / BSODS / no boot

But my computer restarts randomly when i have it overclocked, makes no sense to me, at stock settings my i9-10900k runs over 1.335 volts, if i run 5.2 on all cores at 1.35 or 1.375 i get random restarts, like complete shutdowns then it turns itself on after 2 seconds, This happens randomly once or twice a day, gaming or idle, im yet to see it happen at stock settings in bios, i have ordered a UPS but its only 390 / 700VA im hoping its enough it should come tomorrow, just to rule out my house wiring. Any help would be appreciated i bought this rig to overclock

MOBO : MSI MAG z490 TOMAHAWK
CPU : i9 10900k
SSD : 970PLUS NVME 1tb
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PRO RGB 3200 16gb (8x8)
CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15
You can have milder OCs instead, you don't have to have it at 5.2, right?

bishopi5

Distinguished
Well considering most people even with pretty bad silicon are getting 5.3/5.2 it would be hard to settle for 5.1

But that is beside the point what im really trying to find out is if its actually possible to have random power off's (idle or load) once or twice a day because of an unstable OC?

I have never in my life experienced this and just hoping somoene has had this issue before or can explain why this could be happening, 1.35v is not much for this chip and its rock solid in cinebench until cores start hitting 100c so seems very stable, not even using AVX offset

bishopi5

Distinguished
Those voltages are way below what i know people are using for similar clocks thats why i didn't pay much attention to that page, maybe i just don't understand die sense vcore, to me its saying 21% of chips can reach 5.1 but thats under stupid low voltages, 1.190v load is way to low, none the less, no one is answering my question

Assume my overclock is unstable.... Has ANYONE ever experienced this? is it normal. Please

Last edited:

bishopi5

Distinguished
If you're not getting shut downs when your CPU isn't OC'd then the most logical explanation is that the OC is causing it.

Yes its obvious its related to the overclock but as mentioned im trying to find out why it would be shutting down randomly, i know this is not normal behavior for overclocking, im using safe voltages and its stable in cinebench with no AVX offset, it never shuts down at full load its completely random

Again, most people aren't. The link was provided above.

Isnt this the exact same site? claiming 21% need 1.375 with LL3 to hit mild overclock not even an all core clock. (5.3 on 3, 5.2 on 6, 5.1 on 10)

I must not understand die sense vcore at all

https://siliconlottery.com/products/10900k51g?variant=32671332728918

Last edited: