[SOLVED] 665P or 860 EVO

I'm building a PC for my cousin, and he's not that amazing with computers, so I decided to get him a 1 TB drive instead of an ssd and an HDD since he won't know how to manage them.
I also found that a 1tb hdd and 512 gig ssd are about the same in price as a 1tb ssd, which is enough for him.

And I was comparing the 2 most logical SSDs I could find in stock, the intel 665P which is NVME, but QLC, and the 860 EVO which is sata, but TLC. both cost within 2$ of each other.
I don't care much for longevity, since we won't be deleting and reinstalling the drive often.

As for performance, I'm split.
On one hand, the intel is NVME, so it has much more sequential performance, but QLC is slightly slower in random operations.
The samsung is sata so much much slower sequential, but slightly faster in randoms.
Now, the kicker is that I'm pretty sure the intel one uses it's some of it's space as SLC cache, which would make it for most operations much faster in randoms.

I know the difference in real world, especially for a child that only used an old dell before is basically 0, but I still want to get my money's worth.
Which one do you think is the better one?

Solution
You can't go wrong with either one.
From the users perspective they will no discernable differences in use. Not may people use the high sequential transfer rates where they would notice. a 1gb file transfers in 2 seconds the evo and 1 second on the 665 if the source can transfer that fast. Your speed is always limited by the slowest device in the chain so for him its most likely the speed of the internet (and 100Mb internet is only about 10MB once you convert bits to Bytes...

popatim

Titan
You can't go wrong with either one.
From the users perspective they will no discernable differences in use. Not may people use the high sequential transfer rates where they would notice. a 1gb file transfers in 2 seconds the evo and 1 second on the 665 if the source can transfer that fast. Your speed is always limited by the slowest device in the chain so for him its most likely the speed of the internet (and 100Mb internet is only about 10MB once you convert bits to Bytes...

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I have a 660p, along with several 840/850/860 EVO (list below)

In my actual use, I cannot tell the difference.
If it were regular large sequential copying between 2 similar NVMe drives, the difference would be apparent.
For most people and their use? Not going to see any difference.

The rest of the system, and the user, comes into play.

My typical use case of Adobe Lightroom...takes exactly the same time to write out to either the 660p or any of the EVOs. Yes, I did a specific controlled timed test on this.
Not just "feels the same".