Question 6700 XT Radeon Software

jmacintosh

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
My most recent config is in the signature below.

Last night I installed a little upgrade in the GPU department...
PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Gaming Graphics Card with 12GB GDDR6 Memory

AMD had a great software program that let me tweak many setting on my old video card, the XFX Radeon R9 280X 3 GB Video Card. One of the features was Eye-finity, which allowed you to set up profiles for different settings... Like setting up certain games to play across two monitors, while setting some up to play on one screen only.

So I install the new card last night, and of course I go on AMD's website for drivers, Everything downloads and the card runs... however...
I have lost that neat software. apparently the new driver software uninstalled it. I can understand considering the dramatic upgrade, but now I have no software similar to what I previously had, and the restore points only go back to the install of the card. All my other previous restore points were wiped. At this stage, I can't even set up a game to play across to screens. Now I have seen a few windows 8 systems that control that ability right from the graphics properties screens. Is it because Win 7 doesn't have such an option under the graphics properties, and there is no support for Win 7 by AMD for these newer cards? It would appear the Adrenaline software is dumbed down for Win 7. Is this plausible?

Anyone else running win 7 with such a modern card?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Understood, to a point. The objectionable things can all be dealt with, while having a more secure OS with Win 10.

Sticking with Win 7 is likely to have some limitations with driver support, as you have found.

You might try a 3rd party tool, like MSI's Afterburner to tweak GPU settings.

jmacintosh

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Understood, to a point. The objectionable things can all be dealt with, while having a more secure OS with Win 10.

Sticking with Win 7 is likely to have some limitations with driver support, as you have found.

You might try a 3rd party tool, like MSI's Afterburner to tweak GPU settings.
My experience with any windows systems beyond 7 seems to be very bloated and laggy. Is it my imagination or are they just very cumbersome OS's? The lack of control is a put off as well over alot of what I deem to be unnecessary functions. well, ones that are actually non critical.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
My experience with any windows systems beyond 7 seems to be very bloated and laggy. Is it my imagination or are they just very cumbersome OS's? The lack of control is a put off as well over alot of what I deem to be unnecessary functions. well, ones that are actually non critical.
I would suggest it is your imagination. Win 10 is no more laggy that Win 7. Performance is excellent when configured properly, including updates to the OS and device drivers. It is certainly more secure than the no longer supported Win 7.

There are lots of urban legends out there with very little truth to many of them.

Still, your choice. You just need to be willing to live with more limitations as other things move forward.