6700k C states enable or disable for OC?

Sumover

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
I have a 6700k and my MB is asus z170 deluxe. I have a modest overlock that is stable as far as I know at 4.5ghz at 1.31 vcore. Should I have c states enabled? Speedstep? Currently it says (auto) by both but idk what that means.

Also would manual or adaptive vcore be best?
Thanks a ton :)

Solution
Yes once you are stable at whatever overclock you want set it back to adaptive and leave the cstate enabled. Thats the normal for skylake. Just find the lowest stable voltage at whatever clock speeds you want in MANUAL mode then once you find those re enable adaptive mode, save your bios and voila. There is absolutely no reason to have your cpu running at max clock speeds all the time. Running it in low power mode is completely fine and I'd recommend it also. It's just not needed to be at full clock speeds 24/7 or all the time your pc is on.

First off an overclocked processor does not use maximum power constantly. I'm on a overclock processor right now and it step the frequency down when the CPU isn't under heavy usage. This is called Intel Speed Step and it's been around for awhile.

Disabling C-States can help with stability but it isn't likely to help if you aren't doing anything extreme. Disabling C-States will prevent your processor from going into a low power state and will significantly increase idle power consumption.

Both manual and adaptive are good options regardless of what Gingerbread says. Both are recommended in the official overclocking guides for the 3570k, 4790k, 4690k, ect.

You might want to take a look at this Skylake guide

http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

Manual is the best when overclocking, and when it's at idle, you still have a cooler so it won't run hot also don't worry, having it at 1.31v doesn't mean it will be on 100% usage all the time and run at 65 degrees constantly. When it's idle it should run at no more than 30 degrees is my guess. What is your current CPU clock and what is your cooling, also temp under full loads and temp when idle?

I'd recommend adaptive over manual. Manual is more for extreme overclocks where voltage spikes can cause a crash.

Yes once you are stable at whatever overclock you want set it back to adaptive and leave the cstate enabled. Thats the normal for skylake. Just find the lowest stable voltage at whatever clock speeds you want in MANUAL mode then once you find those re enable adaptive mode, save your bios and voila. There is absolutely no reason to have your cpu running at max clock speeds all the time. Running it in low power mode is completely fine and I'd recommend it also. It's just not needed to be at full clock speeds 24/7 or all the time your pc is on.

Solution

Eventine

Prominent
Mar 9, 2019
Sorry to bring back the post. I have a i5-6600k. Nevere OC THIS cpu till now, but now I need some more power. I looked and read all the guides and posts, but I have an issue: I tryed every combination of ratio and Vcore, but If I go over 3900MHZ (nominal value), my pc crashes. The strange thing is that it crashes NOT DURING the stress tests, but after (when the test is over, i.e. when there is a change of performance request). So I tryed to disable C-state and select the Performance mode in windows (minimal performance 100% CPU). Now it seams stable, even at 4500MHZ and 1.35V. Can you help me understand if I did something wrong and how I can fix this problem to not make the cpu run at 4500MHz all the time?