Element2k3

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Hello guys!

at the moment I'm running an E6600 with two 6800GT (one is softquadro) but next week I'm buying a q6600 and as soon it will be available in the stores the 8800gt. The only thing I'm not sure about is the motherboard! The 680i would give me the chance to use the new cpu and motherboard till the 8800gt arrives. On the other side I could do the same with the p35/x38. The problem is: I use dual monitor but in this case I could run it only on one single card..........(not nice when you run maya and got to animate!)
so, my main problem is: can I run the two 6800 gt on a p35/x38 board? I know sli doesn't (and I don't need it) work because it is not a nforce board.........and to be honest, I do not care because dual monitor doesn't work on sli anyway (I know...it works if you use the dual/tripple head). For me it's only important that I still can attach the 2 monitors on 2 different cards. Anyone got some experience on that one?

thanks to all

If you are going to run SLI, you must use an nVidia chipset. From a manufacturer-supportable standpoint, this is the end of discussion.

Yes, there are hacked drivers on the web if you have an Intel 975 chipset. But many would consider running hacked drivers from "Some Guy On The Web" to be a not particularly intelligent act....

If you want an Intel chipset, you'll need to go with either an ATI/Crossfire setup. Or a single, superior GPU (8800GTX/Ultra).

Element2k3

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
but isn't sli only if you connect the two cards with a sli bridge? so in theory shouldn't the 2 cards work independent from each other and independent if it is a crossfire or sli board?

It's a legal question, and not a theoretical.

You cannot have SLI on an Intel chipset because SLI is the legal property of nVidia, and nVidia do not permit Intel to use SLI.

aoe

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007

Whilst I don't have any personal experience on this, I'm confident you are correct. You should have no problems running 2 nVidia cards on either P35 or x38. The boards don't support SLi, but I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to run the 2 cards non-SLi to support multiple monitors.

messerchmidt

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
i love how the morality police always jump in and frame it as a legal question. No one cares what nvidia allows....

sli will work on non-nvidia chipsets, BUT it is going to be a hassle. Intel >nvidia in terms of chipsets though so it is a trade-off. I would personally got for an x38 and deal with the problem. However, if you do not want to go through that, get yourself a firesale priced i680...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You can use any chipset you like for independant cards as long as the board has enough x16 slots.

Look - The OP asked why there isn't SLI available on Intel chipsets, and I told him. No more, no less. It has nothing to do with policing, or morals, or whatever random individuals care to read into it. SLI is nVidia's intellectual property, and they aren't sharing. Their drivers are specifically written to abort the install on any Mobo that doesn't have an nVidia chipset. That's the reality. Regarding the technical aspects of accomplishing same, I don't suppose you can write your own?

I am well aware there is a set of hacked SLI drivers for the 975 chipset available on the web. You have some for the P35? The X38 perhaps? How about compatability updates for different games? How about when there's a new video driver?

Element2k3

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
@Crashman

thanks, that's the best news :) By x16 slots do you mean "real" ones like the 680i has or would be a P35 that has 2 slots x16 but the second one only goes x4?

I don't need sli because I do not play games and do not plan to do it either.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007

No he didn't, read the post again. He just asked if his two 6800 gt's could be run on p35/x38 without SLI for a dual monitor setup. He even said he didn't need SLI.

So yes, it will work fine. I would probably go for the Intel chipset unless you need SLI anyway.

Element2k3

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
cheers :)

now the question is if the x38 will work better with the two 6800gt or if the p35 will be enough. cause I know that x38 has real dual x16 where the p35 only one and the second one runs in x4. this would be interesting also in case the 8800gt isn't running well enough maya with 2 monitors on attached to one card (so I still would install one of the 6800 gt).

wingsofzion

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
A lil off the subject but maybe this may shed some light on those bringing up the legality question. It seems that Nvidia is helping Intel prep their mobo's to run SLI legally. No idea if many of you follow tech news but Intel is currently developing a gamer board codenamed Skull Trail. It's supposed to be a dual cpu board that takes advantage of all of the X38's new features and better support for the future 45nm chips and both Nvidia SLI and ATI Crossfire. When demoing this mobo guess what was running on it... two Nvidia cards in SLI. When asked about this Intel replied "Nvidia helped us with the demo". So the big question here is if Nvidia doesn’t allow Intel to run SLI, why help Intel publically showcase a new mobo running their cards in SLI? The only thing that ever stopped SLI from being run on Intel boards was the fact that there was only one PCI-E slot running at 16x. With the X38 boards breaking those rules now Nvidia's 680i and future 7xxi boards are a bit in trouble market wise.

The only way Nvidia can stop Intel boards from running SLI is to somehow make it not run on mobo's that don’t have a Nvidia chipset onboard. Other than that since such a method does not exist and Nvidia is actually helping Intel with allowing their mobo's run their cards in SLI, the legality issue is becoming a bit irrelevant. Look at it from a business stand point. Nvidia had a great market position by creating their own SLI chipset and licenses this to mobo makers to create their 5xxi and 6xxi boards cause there were no mobo's in the market besides those with their chipset that had the ability to run two cards at full 16x. Now with PCI 2.0 and the X38 breaking those rules Nvidia no longer has that hold. So what's the smart move to make here? Obviously that would be to allow Intel to integrate SLI into their mobo's. What's stops Intel from doing so anyway? Legally they have no right to "advertise" SLI capability without permission from Nvidia because they lack a official SLI license like they do with ATI's Crossfire. And beside the license of course they have to integrate SLI software like maybe Ntune with the mobo's driver disc and such.

So is Nvidia screwed? And what about the new 780i series? No, Nvidia isn’t screwed cause by allowing Intel to license SLI they basically are now making profit off of EVERY Intel chipset board that supports SLI, just like ATI is making buckets of money off of every Crossfire Enabled Intel boards out in the market. And what about the upcoming 780i series? Nvidia can afford to let SLI go cause now they will, with the 780 series, be the first to bring out 3-way SLI, three PCI-2.0 slots all running at 16x. Nvidia is simply replacing one marketplace lead with another. They can just let Intel have SLI and market their 3-way for the next few years like they did with SLI. You guys have to understand is that these companies aren't ran by idiots and Nvidia is always finding a way to lead the pack with some sort of "exclusive" technology. So back to the whole "legality" issue I would predict by this summer I wouldn't be surprised to see new Intel boards (maybe the X48's?) advertising SLI support cause it seems the X38 boards are simply testing the waters to see how well their boards work with cards, either ATI or Nvidia, at 16x. Nvidia will be cool cause they will have 3-way SLI out and focus on that. Everyone makes money and everyone will be happy. Now is 3-way SLI a good thing? And who on earth will run 3 cards in SLI? Well didn’t we all say that almost 3 years ago when thinking of the absurd possibility of running 2 cards back to back? Think about it guys.

Some links to help some get certain things in better perspective:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_SkullTrail
http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=4516
http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/09/21/intel-shows-off-skulltrail
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/09/19/idf_intel_x38_october/

And also one important note i should say about Intel's Skull Trail is this. The board is not going to be a common board among the market place cause who here can afford to buy and let alone run a dual CPU mobo. It's simply a board that shows what is possible and what the X38 series and beyond will look like. It opens the doors to the possibility that SLI will soon be licensed by Intel and that if so it's technically possible as well with the present technology on boards in the market today.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007

Personally I would go with the P35 because it's cheaper and from what I've read the extra bandwidth that you get from both being x16 doesn't really make much difference in real world computing. I would certainly try using the 8800gt and the 6800gt together, should work fine.

Yes, you can run two or more independent video cards. It does not matter if it is pcie-X16, X4, or even just pci. In the bios, you will have to identiry the primary card. It is best if all the cards use the same driver and support software.

I would go with a P35 board. The bugs have been worked out, they are cheaper, and none of today's vga cards push the limits of pcie1.0.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Agreed... plus the fact that you arent going to be gaming your using multiple monitors the 6800GT will never flood the 4x with enough bandwidth to make it a speed issue

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Legal issues, licensing, and other half-arsed conversations asside, that's the only thing nVidia does. It makes its graphics card drivers not run SLI mode unless it finds an approved chipset. NVidia is already allowing SLI on notebooks using different drivers...but those are likely written to include only specified notebook chipsets.

And now we could discuss Skulltrail, which is supposed to have an SLI chipset component onboard that does absolutely nothing except give the driver something to validate. Oh, and suck power.

Intel doesn't have to license SLI for SLI to work, nVidia just has to enable it in the drivers. Any agreement between Intel and nVidia to include SLI support on an Intel chipset would not require Intel to license any hardware, it would simply involve Intel paying nVidia for the driver change. For others to say "Intel can't do it...license...blah blah" is meaningless, because Intel isn't the responsible party. Intel chipsets support SLI mode, nVidia graphics drivers won't let them, and the only corporation responsible is nVidia.

NVidia could easily "license" the tech...by charging Intel a certain amount of money PER NORTHBRIDGE for every chipset nVidia adds to the driver's approved-hardware list. But they's probably want more than Intel would like to pay.