6900k Overclock Sudden Over 1000 Wattage Spike - What should I do?

USASherlock

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
I have a 6900k that I overclocked to 4.2 Ghz. It is working great with low temperatures. I just had this wattage spike out of no where. I have it connected to UPS. I haven't looked on there yet or really set the UPS up for logging so I don't know if this is an error in Open Hardware.

The Wattage read 1227.1 W. I overclocked using MSI BIOS adaptive 1.2 V but it ends up at 1.3 V.

As far as cooling I have this in another room with 5 delta fans off a NZXT fan controller, 1600 W EVGA P2 power supply, h100i push pull with the deltas, artic silver 5 on, and 780T case. I wasn't really doing much when that Wattage spiked. It was for a split second. Also under load, it will tick above the TDP to 143 W.

What is going on here?
Is there a way to prevent the 1227.1 W spike using the BIOS?
Do I not have enough voltage for adaptive if it is jumping to 1.3?

Any recommendations?

Thank you for all the assistance and in the past.

Wattage%20Spike_zpsb7kxs6pe.png

cpu%20z_zpseawdckun.png

Update: It happened again but this time I was doing some encoding. Maybe the processor was stressed and just jumped to keep the 4200 MHz. It went to 947 W. I really don't know. On a side note, I have opened that attic door on this closet as it encodes and its running 60 C with the cold winter air. Kind of fun.

Anyway I still don't know what to make of this. I hope one of you all do. One other piece of info is I have the tower now flat rather than standing up. It is to save space and for some reason I had to reapply thermal past when it was standing. I had the AIO tight and loose. May be the spikes in Wattage. I just don't know. I still get the spikes but no need to reapply the thermal. Hope I run into someone else doing this. Oh, and 4.3 Ghz just really messes with the thermal, even with the winter air. I just leave it at 4.2 after the reapplication of thermal.

ccampy

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
There's no way your cpu is using 1227w
That kind of wattage would near instantly cook the Vrms and fry your cpu and likely motherboard
On top of that the CPU 8 pin connectors wouldn't be able to handle that kind of current

Id day it just a software bug

USASherlock

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015

Ccampy and PC-4Life thank you for your response. I want to lean towards that. I also agree that sending that much power (not an expert) seems like it would fry something. I was hesitant to think it was a glitch because when I look at the Intel XTU it give you the option to have the Turbo Wattage be around a thousand. In my mind Intel's XTU having that option normalized the possibility of this occurring. I am not using the XTU, its just from my experience with opening it and looking at the options.

One thing that seems to support both of your beliefs is that when this occurs my Temperatures are not at 105 C or even spiking. I would expect if the motherboard or chip some how got a hold of that much wattage there would at least be a spike of some really high temp. As you can see above the highest wattage and highest temps are recorded in Open Hardware. This suggests that there has not been a Temperature spike with the 1227 W recorded power.

Once again, CCAMPY and PC-4LIFE I appreciate your insight. I really do not want to destroy this thing. I have tried to keep this chip as cool as possible with the overclock, even been a bit ridiculous with the Deltas.