[SOLVED] 6900xt bad performance

Mar 4, 2021
My friend and I both managed to get a hold of an MSI gaming X Trio 6900xt.
When we installed it we noticed that the performance is very bad, even worse than my 5700xt in some cases.
our main problem is frame drops in Apex Legends, the game we are both addicted to. I have a 750W power supply and he has an 850W, I have an all AMD build with a 3700x and he has an i9 9900k. His performance is even worse than mine in some cases, I updated all drivers and even tried overclocking to no luck. Did we just get duds or is there something we can do?

Solution
A smart man once said "if you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the solution"

The 750w psu was passable. It'd work. The chances of it being the underlying cause might have been slim, but slim is a vast % higher than None.

While it might suck that Op went and spent hard earned cash on a more appropriate psu, the result is twofold. First being the obvious, Op now has a more appropriate psu, that's better built, has better protections, has enough wattage to cover spikes and not risk bluescreen due to undervolt or overcurrent situations. In a much better place physically as far as health and safety of the pc is concerned.

Secondly, power delivery is now off the table. Eliminated as a...
Feb 16, 2021
I'll provide a potential fix if you haven't already that 5 other people will comment on here with as well. When upgrading to the new GPU, did you use DDU to do a clean driver wipe, and then install the new drivers with elevated permissions<- run as admin?

Last edited:

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
AMD to AMD doesn't require DDU. If the latest driver was installed a DDU shouldn't be necessary since the 6900 and 5700 use the same driver. When I upgraded from my 5700xt to 6800xt all I did was swap the cards out and everything just worked.

However, if the latest drivers were not installed then a driver update is all that is needed. If this was done then please list your full system specs so we can try to provide better answers.

Mar 4, 2021
Full system specs
-R73700x
-6900xt gaming x trio
-x570 Aorus pro wifi
-EVGA 750w psu
-2 m.2 1 tb ssds
-1 2tb hdd

I did a full driver wipe as well as updating the GPU drivers and chipset drivers

Mar 4, 2021
UPDATE:

So I fixed the ram issue, but the GPU still doesn't seem to be matching the performance I see from other people with similar work stations
APEX still won't go above 144 and will dip down to 90 at some times, no Vsynch or anything. Cyber Punk will only run at 70 at best.
I am just not getting the same performance from this card as anyone else

Your power supply does not meet the basic requirements for the 6900xt.

Also unless your system is exactly the same hardware, monitor resolution, and exactly the same graphic settings in game then it's impossible to get exactly the same performance.

You say you're getting 70fps in Cyberpunk...but with what settings ? If you're trying to run Cyberpunk maxed out at 4k then 70fps is not bad...if you're talking 1080p at med quality then it's not so good.

If you're comparing your 3700x to something like a 5600x in benchmarks you're going to be slower.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021
Your power supply does not meet the basic requirements for the 6900xt.

Also unless your system is exactly the same hardware, monitor resolution, and exactly the same graphic settings in game then it's impossible to get exactly the same performance.

You say you're getting 70fps in Cyberpunk...but with what settings ? If you're trying to run Cyberpunk maxed out at 4k then 70fps is not bad...if you're talking 1080p at med quality then it's not so good.

If you're comparing your 3700x to something like a 5600x in benchmarks you're going to be slower.
1080P only

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Have you tried this?
Made think of it when you said you were capped at 144

1. Close Apex Legends (you cannot access launch options if the game is running)
  2. Open Origin.
  3. Go to My Game Library and left click on Apex Legends.
  4. Click the 'Settings' cog (Under 'Play')
  5. Click 'Game Properties'
  6. Navigate to the 'Advanced Launch Options' tab.
  7. In the command line, type: +fps_max unlimited.

Mar 4, 2021
Have you tried this?
Made think of it when you said you were capped at 144

1. Close Apex Legends (you cannot access launch options if the game is running)
  2. Open Origin.
  3. Go to My Game Library and left click on Apex Legends.
  4. Click the 'Settings' cog (Under 'Play')
  5. Click 'Game Properties'
  6. Navigate to the 'Advanced Launch Options' tab.
  7. In the command line, type: +fps_max unlimited.
playing on steam