Question 6900xt stuttering ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlesdubenaud12

Honorable
Dec 29, 2018
Hi guys, first of all :
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/41467986
Psu : 650W Gold
Screen : 144hz 1ms 1080p
Allright, last week i happily got my hand on an rx6900 xt as an upgrade for my aorus 1080ti - 11gb.

I'm mostly playing warzone, semi-competitive ( few tournaments here and there ).
Now my trouble is since i installed my new Gpu i feel like i'm not having the fps for my buck here. i'm mostly running around 140 fps with frequent drops around 50-60 fps (i was doing 90-110 solid and smooth fps with my 1080).
Also i feel like my game is running like a square wheeled car. like it's not smooth and fluid but stuttering and rocky.

I installed my drivers back with DDU and clean install. updated my bios to the lastest. tried activating / deactivating XMP profile.

I'm feeling lost here and i don't know where to look at ? Cpu bottleneck? Psu too weak? ( would give blue screen and crash no ? ) Any way program i could run that would help me ?

Thanks for you help !

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If the PSU cannot deliver the power the GPU is asking for the performance will suffer.

This is not true.

If your PSU is insufficient for your setup the software will either be unstable or the system will straight up crash. PSU has no affect on fps, stuttering, etc.

@charlesdubenaud12 Im sorry you spent money on a new PSU, while its good to have a bigger good one for sure, its not the fix for your issue. Have you worked on what @InvalidError said regarding the memory? IMO thats where your issue is.

Please don't spend any more money on parts until you resolve this.

Reactions: charlesdubenaud12
D

Deleted member 2720853

Focus Plus Gold has transient issues, I would not recommend it. I'd rather recommend the Focus GX-850.
Nevermind I only read the URL. The link redirects to a Focus GX-850 proper.

It's a good thing you got a new, higher capacity PSU. That GPU can be a power guzzler sometimes:

BrGtiyl.png

D

Deleted member 2720853

That looks so wrong. How can a 2x8 pin power gpu draw 601 w. Especially when the power limit via bios is 330w. I never seen spikes of 600w on mine.
Both Ampere and RDNA2 GPUs can spike this high. 3070 and below not so much, 3080 and up definitely. Same with 6800 XT and up.

Also connectors being overloaded is nothing new. This is only a single recorded 600W spike in an otherwise ~400W bench.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Both Ampere and RDNA2 GPUs can spike this high. 3070 and below not so much, 3080 and up definitely. Same with 6800 XT and up.

Also connectors being overloaded is nothing new. This is only a single recorded 600W spike in an otherwise ~400W bench.

Still if his PSU could not absorb those spikes the system would crash. I do agree a better higher power PSU was the right choice here in the long run, but not the fix for his issue. His current PSU was a good one that could handle those types of spikes, as it didn't crash. That said you don't want to live on hitting your PSU with spikes like that often, it won't last forever.

I've been in the same spot with my Vega 64LC which can spike similarly.

Reactions: charlesdubenaud12
D

Deleted member 2720853

Still if his PSU could not absorb those spikes the system would crash. I do agree a better higher power PSU was the right choice here in the long run, but not the fix for his issue. His current PSU was a good one that could handle those types of spikes, as it didn't crash. That said you don't want to live on hitting your PSU with spikes like that often, it won't last forever.

I've been in the same spot with my Vega 64LC which can spike similarly.
Yeah I'm not saying his GPU will have 600W spikes. Just that him getting a higher capacity PSU, while not fixing this issue, was a good move in the long run.

charlesdubenaud12

Honorable
Dec 29, 2018
Did you ever get to the bottom of the poor RAM performance in userbenchmark as pointed out by InvalidError?

Download CPU-Z and look under the memory tab at Channels and see if it’s running single or dual.
Did you ever get to the bottom of the poor RAM performance in userbenchmark as pointed out by InvalidError?

Download CPU-Z and look under the memory tab at Channels and see if it’s running single or dual.
Will do as soon as my shift end ! I'll keep you updated

This is not true.

If your PSU is insufficient for your setup the software will either be unstable or the system will straight up crash. PSU has no affect on fps, stuttering, etc.

@charlesdubenaud12 Im sorry you spent money on a new PSU, while its good to have a bigger good one for sure, its not the fix for your issue. Have you worked on what @InvalidError said regarding the memory? IMO thats where your issue is.

Do me a favor and set your GPU power limit to 50% and tell me that half the wattage going to the card wont affect the clock speeds / performance. If your graphics card requires 300 watts power and the PSU is only capable of delivering 2/3rds of that performance will chug. I am not saying there wont be any CTD or powering off of the system but the closer the wattage to the GPU's requirement the lower the chance that a crash or system instability occurs. I have on multiple occasions solved issues very similar to this by suggesting a higher wattage PSU. Just because it was not the solution here does not mean that it couldn't have been.

I am also not saying that I am right, I am not omnipotent. Please explain to me how I am wrong in a more technical sense.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Come on guys, this one is dead simple, he's knocking the very edge of what his CPU can push, the max frames I see the 3700x & 3800x do in Warzone is about 160 fps tops and that's in pretty closed areas.

My bet would be that if you limited your max FPS to 120, you'd return to smooth frametimes again, also, make sure your sticks are in the proper dimm slots, you're suffering from high latency, which usually means either no XMP enabled or you're running single channel.

Come on guys, this one is dead simple, he's knocking the very edge of what his CPU can push, the max frames I see the 3700x & 3800x do in Warzone is about 160 fps tops and that's in pretty closed areas.

My bet would be that if you limited your max FPS to 120, you'd return to smooth frametimes again, also, make sure your sticks are in the proper dimm slots, you're suffering from high latency, which usually means either no XMP enabled or you're running single channel.
I have a 3900x and a 3080 and I get 170+ fps with nearly maxed settings. He should be able to get similar performance especially if he has ray tracing set off (I have it on).

johnsoner13

Respectable
If your graphics card requires 300 watts power and the PSU is only capable of delivering 2/3rds of that performance will chug.
No, it will most likely just crash/bsod/restart. It doesnt just adjust to sip less power while losing performance. Per your logic, a 200W PSU will run a stock 6900XT but just make it run slower because it’ll undervolt itself. Which isnt true obviously. Correct me if im wrong though im no tech guru :)

No, it will most likely just crash/bsod/restart. It doesnt just adjust to sip less power while losing performance. Per your logic, a 200W PSU will run a stock 6900XT but just make it run slower because it’ll undervolt itself. Which isnt true obviously. Correct me if im wrong though im no tech guru :)
I am no PSU guru either, I obviously could be misinformed. In my experience with a few cases similar to this in the past replacing the PSU with a decent recommended wattage brand has solved the issue.

charlesdubenaud12

Honorable
Dec 29, 2018
This is not true.

Hey there, sorry about the delay, worked a damn long shift haha..

So first thing first, effectively there was a default with my ram in the bios settings, i was getting 2400mhz (1200 ) on both.. So i tried to change the xmp profile and reboot and now the pc stopped to boot. i was stuck with the RAM led on MB at first, then took both ram off and then got stuck with cpu.. so i erased the bios of the MB and took off cpu and put it back it and TaDAM! pc was restarting.. so now updated the MB, rechanged the xmp profile to 3000mhz ( the ram i have now ) and here's my new benchmark :

MSI B450-A PRO (MS-7B86) Performance Results - UserBenchmark

Reactions: helper800
Do me a favor and set your GPU power limit to 50% and tell me that half the wattage going to the card wont affect the clock speeds / performance.
That is not the same scenario. By setting the GPU to 50% power limit you have given the gpu a power limit it will not go beyond. However if a psu is insufficient the gpu does not know. The gpu will continue to take as much power as it wants, if the psu cannot supply that amount of power the voltage will go out of spec and the system becomes unstable. The psu has no way of limiting the amount of power the gpu tries to draw.

InvalidError

Titan
So first thing first, effectively there was a default with my ram in the bios settings, i was getting 2400mhz (1200 ) on both..
Well, that would be kind of a problem :)

Whatever speed you set it at, it will be the same for both. CPU memory controllers only use one frequency and one set of timings across all installed DIMMs.

If you haven't tried the 3200MT/s XMP profile after the BIOS update, you may want to try it again and cross your fingers that the update has improved compatibility. Keep in mind that the system may reset a few times while attempting to re-train the memory controller.

charlesdubenaud12

Honorable
Dec 29, 2018
Well, that would be kind of a problem :)

Whatever speed you set it at, it will be the same for both. CPU memory controllers only use one frequency and one set of timings across all installed DIMMs.

If you haven't tried the 3200MT/s XMP profile after the BIOS update, you may want to try it again and cross your fingers that the update has improved compatibility. Keep in mind that the system may reset a few times while attempting to re-train the memory controller.
tried it at 3200 with game mod activated ? my cpu fan is running crazy but the pc booted..
My current ram is 3000 mhz so running it at 3200 is no problem ?
i seems to hit a higher fps tho 130-160 ish ..

If i was to get let's say 2x8Gb 3600 or 4000 mhz, would it give me more fps ? fix the problem? Thanks ! :)

InvalidError

Titan
My current ram is 3000 mhz so running it at 3200 is no problem ?
If i was to get let's say 2x8Gb 3600 or 4000 mhz, would it give me more fps ? fix the problem? Thanks ! :)
Thought I read 3200MT/s somewhere. If your RAM is 3000MT/s and you don't want to deal with experimenting to find stable limits, then never mind that. If you don't mind some experimenting and testing, then you may want to try one notch up on memory frequency and/or tweaking timings down by one or two.

As for upgrading the memory to something faster, there is such a thing as diminishing returns and the returns diminish quite a bit beyond 3200MT/s with 3600MT/s being the limit where the incremental performance may still justify the incremental price. 3600MT/s is also about as fast as Ryzen 3000 CPUs can comfortably push their memory controller before the fabric clock may need to get dropped to 1/2.

If you are going to upgrade your RAM, I'd recommend stepping up to 2x16GB to eliminate swapping and reloading from SSD/HDD as a possible cause for stutters.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Do me a favor and set your GPU power limit to 50% and tell me that half the wattage going to the card wont affect the clock speeds / performance. If your graphics card requires 300 watts power and the PSU is only capable of delivering 2/3rds of that performance will chug. I am not saying there wont be any CTD or powering off of the system but the closer the wattage to the GPU's requirement the lower the chance that a crash or system instability occurs. I have on multiple occasions solved issues very similar to this by suggesting a higher wattage PSU. Just because it was not the solution here does not mean that it couldn't have been.

I am also not saying that I am right, I am not omnipotent. Please explain to me how I am wrong in a more technical sense.

I don't need to do your experiment to know that your information is completely and utterly wrong. Setting the GPU power limit to 50% is completely different than having a PSU that cannot provide enough stable power for the GPU and the ability to absorb its spikes.

The GPU has no idea what the wattage rating of your PSU is. If it is running at full capacity it will take whatever it wants, if your PSU cannot provide that, the system will crash (unless you have a garbage PSU with no protections then you're looking at blowing some stuff up while you're at it). This is completely the opposite of setting the GPU power limit which is effectively telling it "you can only take X amount of power".

So no, its not the solution here, nor could it have been, and it never is. If a PSU solved any sort of perceived similar issue in the past its because there was an actual failure in the PSU due to it being low quality or not having proper protections.

I don't need to do your experiment to know that your information is completely and utterly wrong. Setting the GPU power limit to 50% is completely different than having a PSU that cannot provide enough stable power for the GPU and the ability to absorb its spikes.

The GPU has no idea what the wattage rating of your PSU is. If it is running at full capacity it will take whatever it wants, if your PSU cannot provide that, the system will crash (unless you have a garbage PSU with no protections then you're looking at blowing some stuff up while you're at it). This is completely the opposite of setting the GPU power limit which is effectively telling it "you can only take X amount of power".

So no, its not the solution here, nor could it have been, and it never is. If a PSU solved any sort of perceived similar issue in the past its because there was an actual failure in the PSU due to it being low quality or not having proper protections.
Okay, thanks for the info, like I said I am not familiar with all the ins and outs of PSUs. So are we going to downvote everyone who suggested its a PSU issue or just me because I had faulty reasoning, which apparently is everyone who suggested it?

Status
Not open for further replies.