Question 6TB - WD Black vs Blue for my purposes?

PewterScreaminMach

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
I currently have two 1TB Western Digital Black hard drives that I've been very happy with for around a decade (both mainly for games and photo/video storage, also have a 256GB SSD for OS).

No issues at all except that the time has come to upgrade one of them for more storage. The new setup will be:

• 256GB EVO for OS
  • 1TB WD Black for installing games (occasionally play games like Total War Warhammer II, Witcher 3, etc)
  • 6TB WD Blue or Black for photo and video storage

I occasionally use Photoshop as a hobbyist but it's not an every day kind of thing; maybe once a week. I also only play games occasionally, as I have a one year old and not much free time.

While I love my current Black hard drives and like the idea of 7200 RPM vs 5400 RPM, my current thought is that I don't need the extra speed for my usage since I'll generally just be storing photos and videos and occasionally loading them into Photoshop. The big advantages to the Blue are that it's significantly quieter (computer is in living room), runs cooler, uses close to 50% less power, and is a whole lot cheaper (around $90).

So, I'm leaning towards the Blue but having a hard time pulling the trigger knowing how good the Black drives have been to me over the years. And who doesn't want more speed? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I would get the blue. I think that for larger files the difference in speed is not that great. That fact that the 7200 spins up quickly makes a greater difference with smaller files.

For the 6TB models, the sustained transfer sppeds are 175 MB/sec Blue and 218 MB/sec Black.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2796-wd-blue-vs-black-vs-red-in-2017

You do get a 5 versus 2 year warranty with the blacks from the date of manufacture (not purchase) I believe.

Last edited: