Question 7.1 Surround Sound Headsets Not Working Correctly

capyxcix

Prominent
Oct 15, 2018
I recently got the Razer Nari Wireless headset. When I got it all setup the sound was very hollow sounding. I kept trying to mess with the settings to get it to sound right but nothing worked. I did a bunch of research to find a lot of other people having similar issues. I ended up returning the headset and opted to get the Sennheiser 373D headset. When I got the headset setup I went to test it and the same thing happened. The sound was very hollow and had no bass. I also noticed the 7.1 surround sound was not working. All the channels were able to output sound but it was in a the exact same sounds coming from each side. I followed the steps in the manual on how to set the headset up too.

capyxcix

Prominent
Oct 15, 2018
https://en-au.sennheiser.com/gaming-headset-pc-373d

Have you installed the software for it?

Fyi, most 7.1 headphones including yours is emulated 7.1. See the FAQs from the site above.

Emulated via software/presets to sound similar to 7.1 but not actually real 7.1 so you won't see this option in Windows. YouTube surround tests (afaik) are all fake as well.

I have installed the software already the only thing I haven't been able to try is updating the firmware. The updater is currently messed up and is saying there is no connection to the remote host. Apparently a bunch of other people are getting this too. I'm not sure if there is a firmware update.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Might want to ask Sennheiser directly about the updater. I don't think it's firmware though. The FAQ covers sound quality concerns and modes to use.

Surround headsets aren't really the best in sound quality due to the smaller drivers.

capyxcix

Prominent
Oct 15, 2018
I emailed them and I am just waiting to hear back. The thing with the headset is though. It is so hard to understand anything coming through it. Also my current headset (Logitech g633) sounds 100 times better and that shouldn't be the case especially compared to Sennheiser.

capyxcix

Prominent
Oct 15, 2018
Oh ok. Could be defective, see what they say. Or could be a conflict between Logitech/Sennheiser software.
I just did some more testing and the mic doesn't seem to work. I tried it on my tower and laptop. It finds that there is a mic and I set it as the default but all the audio still comes from the built in mic on the laptop.