Question 750W PSU can't handle RTX 3080?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2020
Hi! So like the title states, I'm under the impression that my Corsair RM750x is not able to keep up with the addition of my new Zotac RTX 3080 Trinity. I've posted this issue in other forums but haven't gotten to a reasonable conclusion as of yet. The main issue I'm facing is that my computer will completely power cycle at random when under load. I've attempted to solve this with fresh driver installations, Bios settings reset and more. I tried plugging my computer directly into the wall because I thought maybe my surge protector was getting saturated even though it's rated for 1875 Watts. At first I thought this solved my issue as I went a full 24 hours without a shutdown, then it happened again... I tried reproducing the issue to test certain fixes but I have been unable to do so. My computer has only shutdown during gaming at random times. I cannot get it to shutdown in a benchmark. For reference, these are the benchmarks I've run: Time Spy Extreme, Heaven, FurMark, OCCT Power Test, and I also ran Cinebench and Prime95 to make sure I wasn't imagining it was a GPU related issue. Like previously stated, I couldn't get any of these to shutdown my PC. So, part of me is unsure if this is even a PSU related issue. The solutions I have been recommended have all been for the case of people BSODing or crashing to desktop for I suppose GPU instability at 2+ GHz or driver issues. I haven't had this issue so I don't believe I'm facing the same problem as those folks. I would also Like to note that my PC previously worked fine with my Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC. Here is a list of my core specs:
  • CPU: I7-9700k (stock clocks)
  • AIO: Corsair H100i RGB Platinum SE
  • GPU: Zotac RTX 3080 Trinity (Stock Clocks)
  • RAM: 48 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 MHz
  • MOBO: MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC
  • PSU: Corsair RM750x
I should also note that I don't think it's an overheating issue considering that with a good aggressive fan curve, my 3080 doesn't go above 74 C (which still baffles me as some folks claim they don't go above 65 C with stock settings on the same card as me). My CPU temps I believe are also not the issue, although it does run quite hot (70 - 85 C under load) despite regular remounting of the water block with thermal paste reapplication, but I suppose that's an issue for another thread. If you have any insight into this issue beyond the basics, I would greatly appreciate your help, I would like to know as definitively as I can if it IS or IS NOT my PSU that is causing the issue before I go out and replace it. I know it can't be said for sure if that's so, but I'm sure my problem can be narrowed down greatly.

Reactions: joshuacant

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure I completely understand what you're asking. But I have 2 cables coming out of the PSU going to the 2 parts of the dongle connection which goes into the GPU itself. Hope that clarifies it for you.
What i wanted to know, just wanted to be sure you use two cables.

simple question not trying to hijack nothing, im new here smh.
Make a thread here,
https://forums.tomshardware.com/forums/systems.7/post-thread
or here,
https://forums.tomshardware.com/forums/graphics-cards.9/post-thread

Nov 16, 2020
While you cannot know for sure until you try, 750W is the minimum recommended PSU.
I've just put in an order for Corsair's RM850x through BestBuy (It was $100 more on Amazon which is insanity). I will report back here once I install the new PSU and do some testing. I've found that I see at least one shutdown per day, hopefully that will change. I also hope that Corsairs modular cables are the same between products so I can just leave the old cables... I really don't want to route the cables again.

Hi:

Any updates on your new PSU? I'm running a similar build with an EVGA 3080 and I've had instability issues trying to run the OC scanner on EVGA and Nvidia programs. It just restarts my computer when it reaches a certain clock speed. I have a 750 rmx and a 9700K. The EVGA tech support guy said it coulddd be the PSU.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
It just restarts my computer when it reaches a certain clock speed. I have a 750 rmx and a 9700K. The EVGA tech support guy said it coulddd be the PSU.
It's not. Due to nature of PSU incompatibility with RTX3080 - tripping of over-current protection on RTX3080's very high transient power spikes, if that occurs - PC wouldn't just restart, it would shutdown and wouldn't not start again unless you cycle the power switch on PSU. If it just restarts then it's likely not a PSU.

Oct 29, 2020
Hello there! I have the same problem with random reboots while gaming and only while gaming. My system is a Seasonic GX-750 driving a MSI RTX 2070 Super Ventus OC and i7-8700. I emailed Seasonic support with the following question:

"I have a Seasonic Focus GX-750 driving a RTX 2070 Super and i7-8700. I sometimes get random reboots when gaming. My question is: If the Seasonic OPP, OCP or OTP trips will the PC immediately restart by itself or the user need to restart the PC?"

Seasonic Support replied as follows:
"If a safety kicks in, your will computer will shutdown. You will need to start it again. In case it's the OTP, you will have to wait for the internal temperature to lower down before to be able to start your PSU again. For your issue, it can be various reasons to cause such issue. We would recommend to check your RAM as well as your motherboard for example."

So it appears that if your PC reboots instead of shutting down, the problem is not the PSU. Hope this helps to identify the component responsible. In my case I suspect my new GPU as the problem started after upgrading from a GTX1050Ti.

Nov 21, 2020
Hello All!

I have exactly same issue after installing my gigabyte 3080 vision.

I had a EVGA 850W

I have ordered a new corsair 1000W , did you affected guys still having the issue when PSU replaced have been done?

Thanks

Oh wow, that's a great PSU. While it's possible that you got a broken PSU, lack of wattage was definitely not part of your problem. Personally, I would have exchanged the power supply from where you purchased it, or submitted a warranty claim to EVGA, and requested an advanced RMA; they send you a new unit, before you send them the broken one. In order to do this, they will require a credit card number on-file as collateral. FYI: I'm pretty sure that Super Flower manufactured the G3's. They are one of the top power supply manufacturers in the world. Ironically I had a EVGA P2 850 that malfunctioned 2-3 years ago, but received a replacement unit through advanced RMA.

Anyway, good luck on the replacement, although I don't think it was necessary. I think that you simply received a poor unit, if indeed the problem was power related.

Nov 21, 2020
@rcald2000 it is... but unfortunately there are many people with the same PSU and with the same issues with the RTX 3080. It is related with the transient spikes coming from the RTX and the response of the PSU. It's the <Mod Edit> of this new RTX series, the PSU by itself is OK, all voltages and temps are fine...

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 4, 2020
I'm having similar problems as well...when turning on the pc it has the normal beep (pause) then 4 fast beeps and then boots up normally until I start a game or benchmark then it reboots all the time. I replaced my gtx 980ti with a zotac rtx 3080.
I7 6700k
asus maximus VIII hero
16 gb g. Skillz ripsaw
zotac rtx 3090 (shouldve waited but was only available for MSRP)
Thermaltake Toughpower 750W...its a 5 yr old system lol. I've ordered a EVGA g+ 1000w from bestbuy and wont be here until Wednesday.
read on another post to disable CSM on bios but will wait for new PSU first.

Just following up on jonnyguru's and Milocore's previous responses. So am I correct in assuming that the problem with some PSUs inability to consistently power the RTX 3080 isn't related to the maximum power capability, but rather the transient response? "How long it takes for the power supply to catch up with the change in load. "

If that is indeed the case, does there exist a minimum recommended transient response (ms) for Nvidia Ampere GPUS? Thank you for in advance for your response.

Just following up on jonnyguru's and Milocore's previous responses. So am I correct in assuming that the problem with some PSUs inability to consistently power the RTX 3080 isn't related to the maximum power capability, but rather the transient response? "How long it takes for the power supply to catch up with the change in load. "

If that is indeed the case, does there exist a minimum recommended transient response (ms) for Nvidia Ampere GPUS? Thank you for in advance for your response.

Transient response time is in the Intel spec.

That said, Intel spec still isn't even enough.

I believe they're working on it in the PCI-SIG PCIe 5.0 spec right now.

Right now, it comes down to: Do we know someone that has a working unit vs. several people tried it and it didn't work.

So at the end of the day, it's probably just a good idea to buy a 1000W PSU and call it a day.

Jan 16, 2021
@rcald2000
The exact issue - when playing I will randomly get a hard shut down of the computer. There is no error message, or indication this is going to happen. Sometimes it's in the 1st game I'm playing, sometimes it's an hour into playing. Out of nowhere, the entire PC shuts down, monitors, tower, etc. The light around the power button on top of my case stays lit, and a light on the MoBo stays on, but everything else shuts down. I have to push the power button to boot the pc back up, it does not restart on it's own.

I am having an identical issue to this. PC shuts off in certain games, doesn't reboot on its own, and the power button light remains on even though the PC is off.

Specs:

EVGA SuperNova GA 750W
EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080
AMD Ryzen 5800X
Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570
32 GB Crucial Balistix DDR4 3200 MHz

I really do think this is a major problem with 3000 series power spikes and the GA line of EVGA PSUs. Will be swapping to an 850W Seasonic to see if that fixes the problem.

maqjav

Reputable
May 16, 2017
Hello.
I'm also finding exactly the same error, while playing RDR2 sometimes the screen goes black, the computer lights are on, but nothing responds. After a hard reset the computer tries several times to boot until it does.

Specs:
EVGA SuperNova GA 750W
MSI RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X OC
AMD Ryzen 5900X
32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz

The PSU has 2 months old, and the NVIDIA only 1 month, so please post if your issue is gone after switching the PSU.

Thanks.

Hello.
I'm also finding exactly the same error, while playing RDR2 sometimes the screen goes black, the computer lights are on, but nothing responds. After a hard reset the computer tries several times to boot until it does.

Specs:
EVGA SuperNova GA 750W
MSI RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X OC
AMD Ryzen 5900X
32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz

The PSU has 2 months old, and the NVIDIA only 1 month, so please post if your issue is gone after switching the PSU.

Thanks.

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face. The GA 750W is not compatible with the 3080 and 3090 graphic cards. Period.

Not sure why people are pairing up high end $700+ (assuming you can actually get it at retail price) graphics card with cheap, entry level $100 power supplies.

Priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.