My current spec:

PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W 80 Plus Platinum
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Board: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
Fan: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 2x140mm
HDD: WD 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 NVMe Black SN850 Heatsink
RAM: G.SKILL 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz CL16 Ripjaws V Black
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact TG

I want to change the graphics to RTX 4070 TI.
On the manufacturer's website, the specification shows:
- Total power consumption (W): 285
- PSU Power Required (W): 700

1. Is the current power supply sufficient? Connection problems? Burning cables problem? I presume that the problem was / applies to the 4090 which consumes a lot of energy.
  2. Won't the CPU be a bottleneck in such a specification with a new card?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Considering there are a number of AIB partners out there, which RTX4070Ti are you looking at? How old is the PSU in your build? If you haven't purchased the PSU yet, look at a higher wattage, similar build quality unit, for the sake of headroom.

Connection problems? Burning cables problem? I presume that the problem was / applies to the 4090 which consumes a lot of energy.
If you're looking at the RTX4090, then a PSU that is at least 1.2KW is suggested. To follow through, the burning issues were caused due to an improper seating of the cable into the connector of the GPU. If you put the cable in until you can physically hear a latch or click take place, then you were in the clear! The RTX4090 is at the top of the food chain, it's the flagship GPU, so yes it'll be the most power hungry of the cards that come out.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023
Jan 9, 2023
Considering there are a number of AIB partners out there, which RTX4070Ti are you looking at?
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12GB GDDR6X
or
ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 Ti TUF OC 12GB GDDR6X

How old is the PSU in your build?
20 months. Almost 2 years.

Total: 295+350 = 645W
So you may choose to keep the same SMPS or change to as suggested.
I'll probably stay with what I have. Thanks for the advice.

Should be fine but connect the PSU with as much seperate cables as possible to the GPU because the Straight Power 11 has a stupidly low current on each 12v rail. Check the manual of the PSU how to.

Thanks for the advice. I will pay attention to this during assembly.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
I think your power supply should be adequate, but if money isn't an issue, I'd consider upgrading to a quality 850 watt unit which would give you a little more overhead.

Maximum efficiency for a power supply is generally found at around 50% of it's rated load. So the more overhead you have for your power supply, the cheaper it is to run. Of course, you're talking differences of a few pennies to maybe a few dollars a month, depending on the load. You never want to run any closer than 10% of a power supply's max, and honestly I won't go over 20%. So if your system pulls 650 watts, that's 780 watts with a minimal 20% overhead. 750 watts isn't quite where I like to be for safety. 850 would be a much better match for a system capable of pulling close to 650 watts. And 1000 wouldn't be considered "out of the ordinary". But 850 would be my own personal minimum for your system.

As far as a cpu being a "bottleneck", this is always a bit of nonsense, really. Reason being, certain games depend more on the GPU, and certain games depend more on the CPU. CPU intensive games will suffer in frame rates if your cpu isn't up to the task, regardless of the video card and vice versa. If one is at 100%, chances are pretty good the other isn't. You're never going to find a "perfect balance" in GPU and CPU capability unless your computer is designed around a single game and only a single game. The best path is, as always, do what you can afford to do, and don't worry about what you can't.

Jan 9, 2023
If it was me I would sell that power supply get a 1000 watt Corsair and use the Corsair Cable to direct connect to that GPU. (that is what I'm doing)

Looking at all the answers I am leaning towards buying 1000w.
Will this be ok?
RMx Series™ RM1000x — 1000 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU (EU)
Or should i go for platinium version?
HXi Series™ HX1000i High-Performance ATX Power Supply — 1000 Watt 80 Plus® PLATINUM Certified PSU (EU Plug)
What's the difference between ? Does it matter in my setup?

What do You mean by this below?
...use the Corsair Cable to direct connect to that GPU...

It is somehow related to this?

Should be fine but connect the PSU with as much seperate cables as possible to the GPU because the Straight Power 11 has a stupidly low current on each 12v rail. Check the manual of the PSU how to.

Here are links do to cables and back of PSU.
Which cables should i use? Or should i buy some special additional cables?

I think your power supply should be adequate, but if money isn't an issue, I'd consider upgrading to a quality 850 watt unit which would give you a little more overhead.

Money is not a problem. However, I play only on Full HD 1920 × 1080 on a 144hz monitor. Looking at the card rankings here on TH, verifying the FPS (assuming I'll be playing on Ray Tracing (Ultra)), I've come to the conclusion that the RTX 4070 TI will be perfectly adequate.

I just don't want to waste money. That's why I'm asking my tiresome questions here on the forum :)

Maximum efficiency for a power supply is generally found at around 50% of it's rated load. So the more overhead you have for your power supply, the cheaper it is to run. Of course, you're talking differences of a few pennies to maybe a few dollars a month, depending on the load. You never want to run any closer than 10% of a power supply's max, and honestly I won't go over 20%. So if your system pulls 650 watts, that's 780 watts with a minimal 20% overhead. 750 watts isn't quite where I like to be for safety. 850 would be a much better match for a system capable of pulling close to 650 watts. And 1000 wouldn't be considered "out of the ordinary". But 850 would be my own personal minimum for your system.

That's why i am going for 1000. Thank you for your answer.

As far as a cpu being a "bottleneck", this is always a bit of nonsense, really. Reason being, certain games depend more on the GPU, and certain games depend more on the CPU. CPU intensive games will suffer in frame rates if your cpu isn't up to the task, regardless of the video card and vice versa. If one is at 100%, chances are pretty good the other isn't. You're never going to find a "perfect balance" in GPU and CPU capability unless your computer is designed around a single game and only a single game. The best path is, as always, do what you can afford to do, and don't worry about what you can't.

I will be playing games like: Cyberpunk 2077, Wicher 3 Next-Gen, Red Dead Redemption 2, Valheim, Souls like games,

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X -- 125W
Board: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS - 90W
Fan: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 2x140mm - 30Wx2
HDD: WD 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 NVMe Black SN850 Heatsink - 10W
RAM: G.SKILL 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz CL16 Ripjaws V Black - 10W
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact TG
RTX 4070Ti - 350W ~ it uses 49% less power than 3090TI

Everything on higher side

Total: 295+350 = 645W

So you may choose to keep the same SMPS or change to as suggested.
58 watts off on the fans!
Input power (max.) 0.96 W
Now your down to 587

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
Either one of those Corsair power supplies would be perfectly adequate. Platinum is going to save you a few pennies a day on electricity, of course it's difficult to say at what point a platinum rated power supply pays for the difference in cost between it and a gold-rated in electricity savings. If there's a web article pointing to such a study, perhaps one of the folks here has seen it. I wouldn't kick either power supply out of bed for eating crackers, regardless. Whether or not the additional cost is justifiable is solely up to you, my friend. I'll never recommend against buying the best quality power supply you can get your hands on and afford. ;)

KyaraM

Admirable
Mar 11, 2022
I run a 3070Ti with the same PSU, only difference is that mine is gold rated instead of platinum. System draws about 300-450W while gaming, and my CPU potentially draws more power (a 12700K). The two GPUs shouldn't be too dissimilar, and the 4070Ti seems to run below its power target from what I have seen, so it should work. You don't need a new a PSU and 1000W is overkill. Btw, according to BeQuiet!, the PSU should be able to draw up to 820W for short periods of time to protect against transients.

Jan 9, 2023
All right. Seeing various opinions, calculations, suggestions, I don't know what to think anymore. :)
So, I verified exactly how much power the current configuration consumes.
I bought a digital wattmeter through which I passed the power cable only from the central unit.
And here are the results:
  • Idle on windows: 65W.
  • Writing this message with multiple tabs enabled in chrome: 90W.
  • Playing Cyberpunk 2077 (Ray tracing: Ultra, DLSS: Off): 250W.
  • 3DMARK Time Spy: MAX 285W.
Considering maximum values: 285W - 165W (RTX260) + 350W (RTX4070TI) = 470W.
In this case, the PSU will be used (at a peak) of 66%. A margin of 34% seems like a large margin.

Jan 9, 2023

I found an equivalent 12VHPWR Adapter Cable from be quiet!
The description shows that it is compatible with the Straight Power 11 series ≥ 750W that I have.

To sum up:
  • I will buy a card (4070TI) and a cable.
  • I will stay with the current PSU for now.
  • I will set the wattmeter to cut off the power if the unit draws more than 700W.
  • If above happens, or if there will be any performance/stability issues, I'll just buy a more powerful beQuiet 1000W/1200W
Thanks everyone for input/responses. You've cleared a lot of my doubts and I've learned a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.