[SOLVED] 75hz monitor locked at 60hz

Aug 3, 2019
Display is a Sceptre E248W-19203R (1080p, supposedly 75hz, only HDMI and VGA) connected to a GTX 1070ti via HDMI.

When I try to change the refresh rate in the Nvidia control panel, there is only a 60hz and 59hz option in the "Ultra HD, HD, SD" resolution list, and there is no 1080p option under the "PC" list. Setting 75hz in the custom resolution menu leads to the screen going black every few seconds.

Solution
Is your HDMI a high speed cable or HDMI 2,0? If not then that's probably why. Your current HDMI cable probably doesn't support more than 60hz.

You're better off getting a displayport cable, they're much better. I use this one and it's excellent, very good quality and cheap. - Displayport cable.

Edit - Just realised you said VGA and HDMI only. You could get a DP to HDMI which will also do the job, if not just get a HDMI 2,0 high speed cable and that should fix your problem.

fermonos

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
Is your HDMI a high speed cable or HDMI 2,0? If not then that's probably why. Your current HDMI cable probably doesn't support more than 60hz.

You're better off getting a displayport cable, they're much better. I use this one and it's excellent, very good quality and cheap. - Displayport cable.

Edit - Just realised you said VGA and HDMI only. You could get a DP to HDMI which will also do the job, if not just get a HDMI 2,0 high speed cable and that should fix your problem.

Solution
Aug 3, 2019

This was exactly it, thank you so much! I tried using an HDMI to DisplayPort cable (so HDMI on one end, DisplayPort on the other), and the 1080p 75hz option became available to me in the Nvidia control panel. I was using a converter dongle before, but the actual cable worked.