Question 7700 worth to upgrade

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
hi. unfortunately my current cpu (i3 6100) is holding back my gpu (1660TI) and i was looking to upgrade it. now the best cpu that my mobo supports is 7700 and since it has only 4 cores i was wondering would it be enough for playing latest titles with at least 60 fps on ultra for a couple of years?

Paired with that graphics card? Yes, the 7700 (Or better would be the 7700k, depending on your board model) would be a nice upgrade from that i3-6100. The 7700 doesn't just have four cores, it has four cores and four hyperthreads, and those make a big difference over only having four cores in some cases. Well, in most cases actually.

If you had a higher tiered graphics card I'd probably say no, that's not a wise upgrade. But with that middling card model and the fact that you are coming from an i3, I think you'll see a terrific increase in CPU performance.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
A i7 7700 is a 20+ FPS upgrade over a i3 6100 but no your not going to get Ultra 60+ FPS but you can Average 60 FPS.. big difference. You should be fine with mixed settings for 2 years but anything after than the hyperthreading will hold it back.

That depends on the resolution. At 720p, yeah, he probably would get 60fps ultra. At 1080p, no, not with that graphics card, on every title. Some games, certainly. Very demanding games, not even on current ones much less those undoubtedly more demanding than what we have now and are coming down the pipeline over the course of the next few cycles.

I'm also not sure about the "after 2 years the hyperthreading will hold it back" because honestly there are lot of people doing well with much older i7's and big graphics cards. I do agree that it is likely that systems with more cores AND threads, increasingly, will do better as time goes on because developers are constantly adding to the list of titles that have good multithreaded support as compared to in the past several years so we will likely ACTUALLY start seeing some separation between low thread models and those with many more cores and/or hyperthreading. Even so, unless you are also recording, encoding, streaming or performing some other kind of heavy multitasking WITH your game engine running, I doubt you'll find that any 4/8 or higher processor from Kaby on will suffer terribly compared to newer models for at least the next two to three years.

Intel has nothing miraculous in the pipe and AMD is still trying to play catch up on IPC, so while there will be improvements, they will likely be small and incremental, and it will likely take some time for even Skylake era processors to become irrelevant. There are people here playing with Ivy bridge CPUs and BIG cards, with no complaints.

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
I also have another option which is i3 8100 that has the same cores and hyperthreades but with much cheaper price but i dont know how it performs in compare to 7700. However i still need to buy a 300 mobo to support it which is gonna cost me the same. There is also i5 8400 that much stronger but its out of my budget range so i discount it at least for now.

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
Paired with that graphics card? Yes, the 7700 (Or better would be the 7700k, depending on your board model) would be a nice upgrade from that i3-6100. The 7700 doesn't just have four cores, it has four cores and four hyperthreads, and those make a big difference over only having four cores in some cases. Well, in most cases actually.

If you had a higher tiered graphics card I'd probably say no, that's not a wise upgrade. But with that middling card model and the fact that you are coming from an i3, I think you'll see a terrific increase in CPU performance.
the thing is i want use full potential of my gpu and cpu at the same time. so looking for best match atr mid range price. any suggestion will be appreciated

i3-8100 will not work with your system. That requires a 300 series board. Even though it is still LGA 1151, it is not compatible with 100 and 200 series motherboard nor are 300 series motherboards compatible with 8th or 9th gen LGA 1151 processors. So, that's not an option for you without also buying a motherboard, and you wouldn't really gain anything by doing that anyhow. There is not enough single core performance gain from 7th to 8th gen to make moving from one gen to the other if the core count is the same worth doing.

Your CPU and a 7700k is a perfectly fine match. There is no reason for you not to expect decent performance from that combination. It will be fine. For what it's worth, my 6700k that's a gen behind that 7700k, still works perfectly fine with any GPU I pair it with. While a higher core 8th or 9th gen might offer some performance gains, it's likely they are gains which are UNNECESSARY for the hardware. It doesn't matter how much processing power you have if your graphics card can't keep up and if you go beyond a 7th gen i7 or 8th/9th gen i5 with that 1660 TI you will probably end up with a CPU that is only using about 50% of it's compute capability anyhow.

Stay with the plan you have, you will not be unhappy unless it's due to the graphics card not being strong enough. Heck, even with something like a 2060 or last gen 1070 TI/1080/1080 TI, those 7700k processors did well enough. Since you can't upgrade to anything else that's got better performance anyhow without also buying a new motherboard AND paying significantly more for it, I don't see any other reasonably acceptable option anyhow.

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
i3-8100 will not work with your system. That requires a 300 series board. Even though it is still LGA 1151, it is not compatible with 100 and 200 series motherboard nor are 300 series motherboards compatible with 8th or 9th gen LGA 1151 processors. So, that's not an option for you without also buying a motherboard, and you wouldn't really gain anything by doing that anyhow. There is not enough single core performance gain from 7th to 8th gen to make moving from one gen to the other if the core count is the same worth doing.

Your CPU and a 7700k is a perfectly fine match. There is no reason for you not to expect decent performance from that combination. It will be fine. For what it's worth, my 6700k that's a gen behind that 7700k, still works perfectly fine with any GPU I pair it with. While a higher core 8th or 9th gen might offer some performance gains, it's likely they are gains which are UNNECESSARY for the hardware. It doesn't matter how much processing power you have if your graphics card can't keep up and if you go beyond a 7th gen i7 or 8th/9th gen i5 with that 1660 TI you will probably end up with a CPU that is only using about 50% of it's compute capability anyhow.

Stay with the plan you have, you will not be unhappy unless it's due to the graphics card not being strong enough. Heck, even with something like a 2060 or last gen 1070 TI/1080/1080 TI, those 7700k processors did well enough. Since you can't upgrade to anything else that's got better performance anyhow without also buying a new motherboard AND paying significantly more for it, I don't see any other reasonably acceptable option anyhow.
Did u even read what I said. 8100 has 4 cores same as the 7700. not my 6100 which is 6 gen not 7. Then i said it requires a 300 mobo which apparently u didnt read that either. And at the first i said the best cpu my mobo supports is 7700 there is a reason why i didnt say 7700k and thats because my mobo is h110 plus non overclockable and its waste of money to buy a k version.

Did u even read what I said. 8100 has 4 cores same as the 7700. not my 6100 which is 6 gen not 7. Then i said it requires a 300 mobo which apparently u didnt read that either. And at the first i said the best cpu my mobo supports is 7700 there is a reason why i didnt say 7700k and thats because my mobo is h110 plus non overclockable and its waste of money to buy a k version.
What is the make/model of your H110 motherboard?
If it supports a i7-7700, it likely will also support a i7-7700K, it is just that you can not overclock the "K"
The i7-7700 runs at 3.6 clock with a 4.2 turbo.
The i7-7700K at stock runs at 4.2 with a 4.5 turbo; significantly better and a very nice upgrade.

I did NOT see the part about the 300 series board, so apologies for that, but there's no need to became an asshat over simply making sure you understood the implication. You'd be surprised how many people think that because 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th gen Intel CPUs are all the same socket, that they are compatible. So, take it easy man.

As for the K version, even though your board does not support overclocking, that does not make the K version a waste of money. For one, the K samples are binned better, so they tend to have better thermal properties than the non K versions. For another, they generally support higher base and turbo clocks, so you still gain some performance beyond what the non-k SKU would offer you. No need to go all captain crazy pants over a missed statement.

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
I did NOT see the part about the 300 series board, so apologies for that, but there's no need to became an asshat over simply making sure you understood the implication. You'd be surprised how many people think that because 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th gen Intel CPUs are all the same socket, that they are compatible. So, take it easy man.

As for the K version, even though your board does not support overclocking, that does not make the K version a waste of money. For one, the K samples are binned better, so they tend to have better thermal properties than the non K versions. For another, they generally support higher base and turbo clocks, so you still gain some performance beyond what the non-k SKU would offer you. No need to go all captain crazy pants over a missed statement.
im not going crazy maybe its because i dont talk english very much so i cant say what i really mean. Whatever after watching 100 videos about 8400 paired with 1660TI it seems to be pretty good combine and its gonna cost me less than going for 7700k and im also getting new mobo with more features. isnt that correct? im listening if there is a better option

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
What is the make/model of your H110 motherboard?
If it supports a i7-7700, it likely will also support a i7-7700K, it is just that you can not overclock the "K"
The i7-7700 runs at 3.6 clock with a 4.2 turbo.
The i7-7700K at stock runs at 4.2 with a 4.5 turbo; significantly better and a very nice upgrade.
its asus H110 plus that supports 6 and 7 gen non overclockable and im trying to get rid of bottlenecking not get new one( mobo bottlenecks cpu)