7820HK Won't Overclock, The Clock Speed Max Out at 2.9GHz

BIOB

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
I am using a AW15 R3. I tried using BIOS and Throttlestop, the results are the same, it just won't go over 2.9GHz.

Solution
The Set Multiplier feature of ThrottleStop adjusts the multiplier request register in the CPU. You definitely do not want 29 in that register or it will limit your CPU speed. ThrottleStop needs to be turned on so it can start writing the correct value to that register.

I would also be using the Windows High Performance power profile until you get things figured out. The Min and Max processor state should be set to 100% in this profile.

unclewebb

Sep 11, 2007
According to Intel, 2.90 GHz is the base frequency for a Core i7-7820HK.

http://ark.intel.com/products/97464/Intel-Core-i7-7820HK-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

To go beyond this speed, Intel Turbo Boost needs to be enabled and fully functional. If you want some help, post some pictures of ThrottleStop. Post a picture of the main window, the TPL window and the FIVR window as well as a screenshot of the C State window when your CPU is idle. Run a single thread test of the built in TS Bench test so I can see what multiplier ThrottleStop is reporting. Make sure Disable Turbo is not checked.

BIOB

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017

http://imgur.com/a/MaDtr, here are the pictures. When idle, the clock speed is 0.8GHz.

unclewebb

Sep 11, 2007
Can you upgrade the version of ThrottleStop you are using? I forgot that TS 8.40 does not correctly report the 7th Gen CPUs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0dpSo9k93jDZHZZQVBkREh2dGM/view?usp=sharing

If you want ThrottleStop to help, you need to click on the Turn On button to take it out of Monitoring mode and put it into active mode so it can actively try to adjust your CPU.

The main screen of ThrottleStop shows that the Set Multiplier value is adjusted to 29. In the FIVR window, adjust the Non Turbo Ratio to 0 and then come back to the main screen and adjust the Set Multiplier value to its maximum. I am pretty sure this is why your multiplier is max at 29. Post a screen shot of the new version of ThrottleStop while it is in the middle of running a single thread of the TS Bench so there is a load on the CPU.

The 44 multiplier might be too high. If the higher multipliers start working, your computer might crash if you immediately go up to 44.

BIOB

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017

Oh. Sorry about the 29 multiplier. They were on 41. I will update the ThrottleStop, and sc my overclock profile. Thanks.

unclewebb

Sep 11, 2007
The Set Multiplier feature of ThrottleStop adjusts the multiplier request register in the CPU. You definitely do not want 29 in that register or it will limit your CPU speed. ThrottleStop needs to be turned on so it can start writing the correct value to that register.

I would also be using the Windows High Performance power profile until you get things figured out. The Min and Max processor state should be set to 100% in this profile.

Solution

BIOB

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017

Okay......... I AM SO STUPID. I was using power saver all the time!! After I switched to Performance, the clock speed went to 4.3....Well, thank you for the help.

Nino LS

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
I had this problem as well, especially after changing my CPU clock speed in the BIOS. Whatever your windows power plan, go into the advanced settings under CPU and set all 4 values once again - usually the clock speed will still be set at your previous max speed, confusing the algorithm windows uses to limit the speed.

My point and reason for necro bump - i'm still under power saving setting, but just needed to go in and readjust the CPU settings - now my CPU is hitting 3700mhz routinely (and staying cool too woohoo!! :) )