7850 supposed to have Two 6 pin power connectors?

twelve25

Distinguished
So I can't find a second 6 pin power connector anywhere on my XFX Ghost 7850, but the box and documentation says it needs "Two 75W PCI Express power connectors". There is only the one on the rear. It's been working great even overclocked, so I assume it is fine, but I just wanted to make sure I am not crazy.

Are there supposed to be two for 7850's? Google search shows a different version (with 2 fans) and two 6 pins on the top, but mine just has one at the rear.

qbsinfo

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
no, it is to have only one 6 pin power connection
The AMD Radeon HD 7850
Below we have an overall look at the AMD Radeon HD 7850 reference model. It requires one six-pin auxiliary power connector.

however looking at the XFX the ghost should have two:
http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Products/Graphics-Cards/AMD/AMD-Radeon-HD-7000/AMD-Radeon-HD-7850/FX-785A-CNBC.aspx
External Power - 6-Pins:2
does it look like this?
ThumbS3.ashx

if not . .well then you don't have that.

now this is crazy . .here is a review that shows on 6 pin . . .
XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Core Edition Video Card Review
7850-power.jpg

twelve25

Distinguished
Probably. It's the "Core" edition, whatever that means.

Looks like there is also an overclocked version with 2 fans and two power connectors:

card_top.jpg

I guess they decided to confuse us by using the same documentation for both?

qbsinfo

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

blame marketing . . trying to use the same "ghost" name on a cut down version.

btw, glad you are at least getting a good overclock, making what you paid for it worth it. ;)

twelve25

Distinguished

It didn't overclock very far (1050Mhz) but I am getting within 5% of 7870 and GTX660 benchmarks that I find online. Not bad for $140! :)