Question 7900 XT vs 7800 XT

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Angel_13

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2016
So I'm planning on buying one of those two cards during Black Friday, but idk which one has more value (assume a $750 price for the 7900 XT).

The 7900 SHOULD be way more powerful, but I've seen some benchmarks that worry me. For example Starfield performs basically the same in both cards at 4K, not sure if it's worth paying for that 50% premium

Reactions: Order 66

Angel_13

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2016
It's not that Radeons aren't good with RT, it's just that they're a generation behind. My RX 7900 XTX's resilience to RT falls somewhere between the RTX 3090 and RTX 3090 Ti.

Now I ask you, when's the last time you heard someone refer to an RTX 3090 or 3090 Ti as "not great with RT"? I've never heard it. People just seem to move the goalposts when it comes to RT on a Radeon.
The point is that AMD rt is worse, which is fine by me if the trade off is an appropriate amount of VRAM for the asking price, I would be dead and buried before I pay $600 for 12 GB of VRAM

Reactions: Avro Arrow

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I think that Jayden is referring to the deal that I got on my ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC that I bought as an open-box item from Newegg in Canada for $1,148CAD ($849USD). Newegg's current price on it is $950 so that's more than $100USD off the price of a new one. Meanwhile, I still get ASRock's 3-year factory warranty and the card works flawlessly. It didn't include the Starfield bundle but I already had the standard game because of an RX 6600 that I purchased specifically to get the game.

Then I accidentally scammed Starfield Premium from Newegg so I got that too. I'm not joking about that, I really did scam the game by accident. I think that the standard code would be a good b-day present for one of my friends. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah I was totally thinking of that deal.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Basically he found what he thought was another 7900xtx (he already had one) but this one came with starfield, but as it turns out it was a 7900xt not an xtx, so he immediately returned it, however on Newegg's website it says that the free gift was non-returnable.
Yeah, I suppose that they don't worry about it because I never opened the RX 7900 XT and their way of thinking is problably something like:

"Well, if he never opened it, he won't have the eligible hardware for AMD to check and he won't be able to redeem it."

When it was clear to me that Newegg was just going to leave it as-is, I thought "Well, I may as well try." and since my card and the code both came from Newegg, AMD Rewards approved it.

So yeah, it was an accidental scamming. You might even say that Newegg pretty much forced me to take it.