7950 Randomly says no signal detected

mrcanadianaviator

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013
So recently I was playing the walking dead with my Sapphire Radeon 7950 Vapor-x. About a few hours in both my monitors said no signal detected. I checked all the connections and that didn't seem to change anything. I took the GPU out and put it back in and that did nothing.

So I switched it out with a GTX 550ti in the same slot and It worked and that is what I am using right now. I have no idea what the problem could be but I will be pissed if it turns out that the card isn't working. This has happened before but when I restarted the computer it fixed the problem.

BTW the card does run when plugged in. I can hear the fans and see the light off of it.

It is on the MSi Z77A-G41 MoBo. Any help is apreciated.

mjmacka

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Sounds like the card overheated.

Could be poor airflow, poorly designed card, or card is damaged.

It also might be that the thermal compound needs to be reapplied. Take the fan off of the card, clean the thermal compound connecting the fan to the card and then reapply thermal compound and re-attach the fan. It's a lot like what you would do with a CPU.

If nothing above works, check if it's under warranty and if so, contact the manufacturer and send it back.