Question 7950x does not boot. Please help !

Jan 15, 2023
Dear gents and ladies.

I just received all the components for my new PC and I assempled everything.
To my great surprise it does not boot. The fans go on full blast and it goes on like that for hours. Even the power button only works to turn it on and I can only turn it off by unpluging the thing.

So, I tried all the usual stuff:
* unplugged and re-plugged in all the components
* blew some air to make sure there is no durst
* I swapped the ram and I even tried to boot with only one ram stick
* I tried to boot without the 4090
* I tried Assus' BIOS wipe feature on their hive / external sound dongle. It does not do a damn thing (I hold the button for 3 seconds with the PC turned off, it blinks for 5 seconds and after that it simply stays on without the light ever going off).

I'm out of ideas and really pissed off after having spent 3800$ on this thing. Pleeeeaaaase help !

PC config:.
  • Ryzen 7950x,
  • ROG STRIX X670E-I GAMING WIFI,
  • G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo, DDR5-6000-Kit, AMD optimized, 64GB, CL30, Cuda
  • Fire 530 m.2 4tb
  • MSI Suprim X 4090
  • and the Coolermaster nr200p max case (with CPU cooling included)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023
No luck so far. After another day with the whole thing running like mad for 2 hours, it shut down and now the PC no longer stars. I was so hopeful for this AMD setup. :(

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Where'd ya buy the rig at? Can you RMA the mainboard?
That's where I'd start. Unfortunately I know your pain, the first MSI board I got was DOA but the 2nd one worked fine. Having that excitement extinguished sucks but don't let it get you down.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Does the mobo have a clear cmos button ??
Long shot but worth a try !!
Also has the computer ever ran?
maybe try ( need another computer ) making a separate bios update usb from the website and trying a bios flash ..

Jan 15, 2023
Does the mobo have a clear cmos button ??
Long shot but worth a try !!
Also has the computer ever ran?
maybe try ( need another computer ) making a separate bios update usb from the website and trying a bios flash ..
I tried the cmos clearing button on the sound dongle and nothing happens.
I also tried removing the battery and no result.
The system never ran as it is all brand new. I just received all the components.

I guess the only thing left is to mail the components back to warranty and hope they fix whatever was wrong with the CPU, motherboard or case as the ram I could test in a nearby computer shop.

CeltPC

Honorable
Jun 8, 2017
The MB does not have any alert LEDs and nothing is ever displayed on the screen as the boot process never makes it to the BIOS
According to the specs for the ROG STRIX X670E-I GAMING WIFI on the Asus website the motherboard does have:

Q-LED (CPU [red], DRAM [yellow], VGA [white], Boot Device [yellow green])

As you know this is a tiny ITX form factor MB, so the diagnostic LEDs are actually located on the "ROG Strix Hive":
25121255288l.JPG

Codes are nicer of course, but at least those might give you a clue as to what what is going on.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023
According to the specs for the ROG STRIX X670E-I GAMING WIFI on the Asus website the motherboard does have:

Q-LED (CPU [red], DRAM [yellow], VGA [white], Boot Device [yellow green])

As you know this is a tiny ITX form factor MB, so the diagnostic LEDs are actually located on the "ROG Strix Hive":
25121255288l.JPG

Codes are nicer of course, but at least those might give you a clue as to what what is going on.
Thanks for the tip. I did not know the diagnostics LEDs are there. I will give it a try in 2 weeks. I just sent the motherboard to warranty. Hopefully afterwards it will work.

Reactions: CeltPC