Question 8+4pin connector on MB- Do I need a 750w PSU?

Jan 30, 2019
I recently got a z390 board. It has a 8+4pin connector. Staying within the Seasonic line of PSU, mainly Prime or SeaSilent models (based on current costs) I really only need a 550/650W PSU - but would getting the 750W size be my only option to get the correct input and cable or can I simply add an extra cable to an available port on a 650W model??

It wouldnt be a bad option to have the 750 for if I ever add second GPU but didnt want to spend the extra 50$ on a 750 if not needed, but I do want to use the 8+4 pin connection.. I know some will say it is not needed.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Which PRIME model are you talking about? Since there are several; regular, Ultra, SnowSilent, Fanless, AirTouch.

For example, PRIME 650 (80+ Titanium) [SSR-650TD] has 2x +12VEPS 4/8-pin cables which is enough for your needs. I know this first hand since my Skylake build is powered by the very same PSU, full specs with pics in my sig.

Jan 30, 2019
Which PRIME model are you talking about? Since there are several; regular, Ultra, SnowSilent, Fanless, AirTouch.

For example, PRIME 650 (80+ Titanium) [SSR-650TD] has 2x +12VEPS 4/8-pin cables which is enough for your needs. I know this first hand since my Skylake build is powered by the very same PSU, full specs with pics in my sig.

I did look at that one but it was a bit over what I was hoping to spend. Sorry for the lack of info on models. I will drop a few links below. Mainly the Ultra Gold line.

550W Snow Silent. - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BX7RZ3H/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
650W Snow Silent - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BYF9S3N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3IW5ONJKFFCRN&psc=1
750 W Prime Gold - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075M3N212/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
650W Focus Plus Platinum - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074N8RG74/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I see on SeaSonic site the cables included, most of the 550w and 650w non Titanium versions are 1 cable. The 750W model adds the second cable. Does that mean the 550w or 650w dont even have the input for it, or is it as simple as buying the one extra cable to use the complete 8+4 pin port on the Motherboard.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Only the PRIME Ultra 750 Gold has 2x 4/8-pin +12VEPS cables, other 3x listed Seasonic units come with 1x cable only. Though, you can buy additional +12VEPS 4/8-pin cable for Seasonic PSU since unit itself has place for additional +12VEPS cable(s). E.g image of Focus+ 650 (80+ Platinum),
(note the CPU/PCI-E lettering on PSU)
image:
psusea750pxfocus_02_2_1.jpg

If you get the additional cable then make sure that you'll buy the EPS cable and not PCI-E cable since EPS cable has +12V and ground pins flipped compared to the PCI-E cable.

For good quality PSU cables, you can look towards CableMod, and since you're going with Seasonic unit, you'll need CableMod SE-series power cables,
link: https://cablemod.com/products/?filter_series=se-series&show_products=48

I have CableMod SE-series custom sleeved power cables in use with all 3x of my PCs.
Oh, full cable kit also comes with 2x +12VEPS cables if you want to match the color theme with your build.

Jan 30, 2019
Only the PRIME Ultra 750 Gold has 2x 4/8-pin +12VEPS cables, other 3x listed Seasonic units come with 1x cable only. Though, you can buy additional +12VEPS 4/8-pin cable for Seasonic PSU since unit itself has place for additional +12VEPS cable(s). E.g image of Focus+ 650 (80+ Platinum),
(note the CPU/PCI-E lettering on PSU)
image:
psusea750pxfocus_02_2_1.jpg

If you get the additional cable then make sure that you'll buy the EPS cable and not PCI-E cable since EPS cable has +12V and ground pins flipped compared to the PCI-E cable.

For good quality PSU cables, you can look towards CableMod, and since you're going with Seasonic unit, you'll need CableMod SE-series power cables,
link: https://cablemod.com/products/?filter_series=se-series&show_products=48

I have CableMod SE-series custom sleeved power cables in use with all 3x of my PCs.
Oh, full cable kit also comes with 2x +12VEPS cables if you want to match the color theme with your build.

Thank you for this info, I was just confused on if the 550 and 650w units even had a port to plug into it. The backs do look different from the 550/650 to the 750/850 so didnt want to order a 550 and realize it wont work with my board. Now to decide if its easier to just get the 750w that includes all I will need or get the 550w and then a cable mod kit. I do love the custom wiring to really complete the build. Unsure if I need a whole kit or just the basic smaller package they offer.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
CableMod SE-series basic cable kit contains:
1x 24-pin ATX
1x 4/8-pin EPS
2x 6/8-pin PCI-E

With it, you'd still need to use one EPS cable from the PSU's stock cables. Full cable kit offers plethora of different cables, including molex and SATA. I have full cable kits with all of my PCs.

Reactions: threat
Jan 30, 2019
I think I will go with the Prime Ultra Gold 750W
Pretty sure you can just leave the 4 pin disconnected and it'll work fine. Don't need both power connectors unless you're doing extreme overclocking.

I have read that a few places and appreciate your input.

I just dont like the idea of leaving it empty. If I had a psu already and it was a matter of wasting money on a new psu- i get it. Being this is all brand new why not get what is available-getting a 750w will also ensure I can add a second GPU if I ever decide as well. I think I will go with the Focus Plus 750w.

Now to decide between the Gold and Platinum models. Close in price but not seeing a single difference comparing them side by side on the seasonic site. just the efficiency by 1-2% - I did like the Ulta Gold but seeing a lot of reviews on bad fan noise.

Jan 30, 2019
CableMod SE-series basic cable kit contains:
1x 24-pin ATX
1x 4/8-pin EPS
2x 6/8-pin PCI-E

With it, you'd still need to use one EPS cable from the PSU's stock cables. Full cable kit offers plethora of different cables, including molex and SATA. I have full cable kits with all of my PCs.

After a little more digging I think the 750 is the way to go, ensures I can add any PCI spots in future, can add a second GPU, and it comes with all cables and ports I need. It is about 120$ right now which seems fair. A 650w unit will run me 100$ most likely at this time. I may still do the cable mod upgrade as it just looks so nice and being 4,000 in so far, whats another 100$ right!
Very much appreciate your help and guidance with such a minimal question, my first build so just being over cautious with every part.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I have read that a few places and appreciate your input.

I just dont like the idea of leaving it empty. If I had a psu already and it was a matter of wasting money on a new psu- i get it. Being this is all brand new why not get what is available-getting a 750w will also ensure I can add a second GPU if I ever decide as well. I think I will go with the Focus Plus 750w.
Fair enough, I understand that. Although I wouldn't use the prospect of adding a second card in the future to try to justify the larger PSU. Multi GPU gaming is dead/dying, you'd be better off just upgrading to whatever the current most powerful card you can afford is at that time.

Reactions: threat
Jan 30, 2019
Fair enough, I understand that. Although I wouldn't use the prospect of adding a second card in the future to try to justify the larger PSU. Multi GPU gaming is dead/dying, you'd be better off just upgrading to whatever the current most powerful card you can afford is at that time.

Very good point. I am not a gamer, if anything I would add a quadro card for 10bit color. My main use is editing photos and videos for my media outlet. I am also using it to store years of coverage so will be setting up a few 12tb hard drives in raid format (m2 will have OS and SSD will be work/active drive).
Just want to make smart purchases so I am not having to upgrade items if I add on ever. This is my first computer build so doing research as I go. The 750 is for sure overkill for my current equipment. I just really didnt want to leave that one plug on the Motherboard empty!

The 750 focus plus is 114$
The 650 Focus plus is 100$

for 14$ it may be worth it alone. I could see if the 650 was $30 or more less.

Reactions: TJ Hooker