[SOLVED] 8+4pin CPU power - Do I need it? (B560M + 11400f)

tiat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Hi everyone

I have a question about the 8 + 4 pin 12v cpu power connector.

I have read some threads on this topic, but I want to make sure before I spend my hard earned money.

I am looking to buy the MSI B560M Mortar motherboard, with an I5 11400f CPU (perhaps sometime in the future this will be upgraded to an 11600)
(link to product here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B560M-MORTAR/Specification)

I notice that the motherboard has 8+4 pin 12v power connection, and my "old" Corsair RM650X PSU only has a 2*4 (8pin) CPU cable.
Which means I won't be able to plug in the "extra" 4 pin connection to this motherboard, only the 8pin 12v.

Will this be any issue at all.

I do not plan to do any OC or run anything out of stock settings.

I have looked at the MSI B560M Bazooka, which only has the 8pin, but it is much more expensive right now and I would rather have the Mortar model.

Can anyone give me some solid advice, pre purchase :)

Thanks a lot!

Solution
The reason is pretty much that I am sitting on some old tech, and right now the 11th gen 11400f is on sale + the Mortar motherboard.
Perhaps the 11600f is cheaper used in a few years, might prove a lil upgrade, but I am not buying it from new right now, the 11400f looks fine for my use.
Out of curiosity can I ask what your coming from? As for the 11400F it's a perfectly capable CPU and the Mortar boards are very good, it's exactly the board I would pair with it myself. If your buying a new 11400F I would not upgrade it to a used 11600 at a later date, the performance difference is very small as they are essentially the same CPU. The reason I asked why you were looking at 11th gen is because 12th gen is available and AMD's Ryzen...

tiat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
You will be fine with just the 8 pin.

A complete waste of time, stick with the 11400F. Is there any particular reason you are looking at 11th gen? The Mortar is a better board than the Bazooka.

The reason is pretty much that I am sitting on some old tech, and right now the 11th gen 11400f is on sale + the Mortar motherboard.
Perhaps the 11600f is cheaper used in a few years, might prove a lil upgrade, but I am not buying it from new right now, the 11400f looks fine for my use.

I have no interest in OC models etc. Just going with a good upgrade, along with some 3200mhz ddr4 corsair ram.

The mortar from MSI looked quite good, but I was afraid my "old" 2018 model 650watt PSU would not meet the demands with this added 4pin cpu power connection.

Yeah the mortar looks better, from MSI specs etc.

So the added 4pin, is for OC? or what it is meant for?
These boards don't really do OC on cpu, so...why?

Thanks for helping out :)

Last edited:
Out of curiosity can I ask what your coming from? As for the 11400F it's a perfectly capable CPU and the Mortar boards are very good, it's exactly the board I would pair with it myself. If your buying a new 11400F I would not upgrade it to a used 11600 at a later date, the performance difference is very small as they are essentially the same CPU. The reason I asked why you were looking at 11th gen is because 12th gen is available and AMD's Ryzen 5000 CPU's like the 5600X have been discounted.

Yeah the mortar looks better, from MSI specs etc.
The Bazooka is the entry level Mag board, don't know why it's more expensive.

Are you saying I can go ahead and buy the Mortar and not worry about that 4pin connection?
The 8 pin will provide sufficient power for an 11400F, the extra 4 pin is not needed.

Reactions: tiat
Solution

tiat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Out of curiosity can I ask what your coming from? As for the 11400F it's a perfectly capable CPU and the Mortar boards are very good, it's exactly the board I would pair with it myself. If your buying a new 11400F I would not upgrade it to a used 11600 at a later date, the performance difference is very small as they are essentially the same CPU. The reason I asked why you were looking at 11th gen is because 12th gen is available and AMD's Ryzen 5000 CPU's like the 5600X have been discounted.

The Bazooka is the entry level Mag board, don't know why it's more expensive.

The 8 pin will provide sufficient power for an 11400F, the extra 4 pin is not needed.

Thanks for the reply on this!
Greatly appreciated.

Yeah I am on an Asus z270 prime p with i7 7700k right now.
Bought used, nearly 2 years ago.
It works fine of course, but I would really like something new and shiny.

I am on a very, very tight budget so I have deemed the 11th gen the best value I could get right now.
Perhaps I am wrong?
I am not into amd, as I have not had great times with it in the past.

Thanks again 🙂

Thanks for the reply on this!
Greatly appreciated.

Yeah I am on an Asus z270 prime p with i7 7700k right now.
Bought used, nearly 2 years ago.
It works fine of course, but I would really like something new and shiny.

I am on a very, very tight budget so I have deemed the 11th gen the best value I could get right now.
Perhaps I am wrong?
I am not into amd, as I have not had great times with it in the past.

Thanks again 🙂
Oh ok, that's not a bad setup but more than 4 cores is nice to have these days. I've seen good deals on the 11400F and boards here in the UK making them a good budget pick. It might be too expensive but the 12400F has been discounted here making it not dissimilar in price to the 11400F.

I know you say you haven't had good experiences with AMD but the newer Ryzen is vastly better than what came before it. A Ryzen 5 5600 + a B550 Mag Mortar would be well worth considering if it's a similar price. The latter uses significantly less power than the 11400F and would be my recommended budget pick.

If you get the 11400F then I would get a decent after market cooler rather than using the stock cooler. Otherwise you won't be able to get the most out of it.

tiat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Oh ok, that's not a bad setup but more than 4 cores is nice to have these days. I've seen good deals on the 11400F and boards here in the UK making them a good budget pick. It might be too expensive but the 12400F has been discounted here making it not dissimilar in price to the 11400F.

I know you say you haven't had good experiences with AMD but the newer Ryzen is vastly better than what came before it. A Ryzen 5 5600 + a B550 Mag Mortar would be well worth considering if it's a similar price. The latter uses significantly less power than the 11400F and would be my recommended budget pick.

If you get the 11400F then I would get a decent after market cooler rather than using the stock cooler. Otherwise you won't be able to get the most out of it.

Thanks again for the follow up!

Having had a few AMD products, I have never really been as satisfied as with Intel and Nvidia (for GPUs). I guess i'm old and stubborn!

The 12th gen cpu's are still expensive, compared to the 11th gen. Like 50/60% more.
I could hold the purchase, seeing as my 7700k works, but for how long, and will it change that much in the near future? :)

I have a Mugen 5 Rev B and a Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, right now, brand new.
This is also why I look at the 11th gen, so I can "reuse" my aftermarket cooler, and not having to spend further money on coolers and PSU etc.

Having had a few AMD products, I have never really been as satisfied as with Intel and Nvidia (for GPUs). I guess i'm old and stubborn!
If you like Intel that's fine, I use Intel and Nvidia myself although I've used and built some of the Ryzen parts.

I could hold the purchase, seeing as my 7700k works, but for how long, and will it change that much in the near future? :)
If you hold off you will be able to get something better for a similar price at a later date. There are newer 13th gen chips coming on the 3rd of January such as the i5 13400 that may affect the price of 12th gen. There is always something better coming though and you have to buy at some point.

I have a Mugen 5 Rev B and a Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, right now, brand new.
This is also why I look at the 11th gen, so I can "reuse" my aftermarket cooler, and not having to spend further money on coolers and PSU etc.
Those are fine, I've seen some use the stock cooler with an 11400F and it's really not appropriate if you want to run without power limits in place. They are very good coolers though so no concerns there.

I could hold the purchase, seeing as my 7700k works, but for how long, and will it change that much in the near future?
This is probably way out of your budget but personally I'm waiting for 13400. 12400 was already very good budget CPU, now adding a couple of E-cores to it should make 13400 absolute beast in that segment. Paring it with medium range B660 board should give a system that will last multiple years. Though it will be something around 400+$ total for both.

tiat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
This is probably way out of your budget but personally I'm waiting for 13400. 12400 was already very good budget CPU, now adding a couple of E-cores to it should make 13400 absolute beast in that segment. Paring it with medium range B660 board should give a system that will last multiple years. Though it will be something around 400+$ total for both.

Yeah it probably will be out of my range, but if new 13th gen is coming out soon, it may just be worth the wait.

I will have to check out the different offers, having said that to myself for at least two months now though 😄.

tiat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
If you like Intel that's fine, I use Intel and Nvidia myself although I've used and built some of the Ryzen parts.

If you hold off you will be able to get something better for a similar price at a later date. There are newer 13th gen chips coming on the 3rd of January such as the i5 13400 that may affect the price of 12th gen. There is always something better coming though and you have to buy at some point.

Those are fine, I've seen some use the stock cooler with an 11400F and it's really not appropriate if you want to run without power limits in place. They are very good coolers though so no concerns there.

Solid reply and help, thanks a ton!

Yeah I did see the reviews of the vrm issues these b560 boards have. Weird, and along with those power limits, which I will will run without of course.
A descent air cooler is just mandatory, never could get into liquid, even though they are probably perfectly fine, safe and lasts for a long time.

Yeah I did see the reviews of the vrm issues these b560 boards have. Weird, and along with those power limits, which I will will run without of course.
That's why you want the Mag Mortar as the latter has very strong VRM's. The Bazooka wasn't bad either to be honest but you do have to be careful. I've seen time and again these chips paired with very entry level boards and they don't perform well and the VRM's run very hot.

A descent air cooler is just mandatory, never could get into liquid, even though they are probably perfectly fine, safe and lasts for a long time.
I've been using liquid for the past 8 years. My previous liquid cooler lasted 6 years without any trouble, I only replaced it because my new CPU needed a more powerful cooler.

tiat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
That's why you want the Mag Mortar as the latter has very strong VRM's. The Bazooka wasn't bad either to be honest but you do have to be careful. I've seen time and again these chips paired with very entry level boards and they don't perform well and the VRM's run very hot.

I've been using liquid for the past 8 years. My previous liquid cooler lasted 6 years without any trouble, I only replaced it because my new CPU needed a more powerful cooler.

Great I think I will be ordering that mortar motherboard from msi. Seems the best option.

As with liquid, if they actually do run for that long without issues, pump noise etc. I might actually try it out the next time I do a build.