Question 80 degree CPU on 50% load

Nov 4, 2019
So basically, a year ago I bought a GTX 1080 ti and to save money I got a better CPU for my current motherboard. I got an i7 4790 (non K) which I know bottlenecks my 1080 ti, but it was a bad decision and I have to live with it now cause I have very limited money. I got worried today cause my FPS wasn't as good as it should be and my friend pointed it out. Basically at max settings while gaming, I'm barely scraping 60 fps most of the time at all settings while VSync is disabled. (The game is Destiny 2) I downloaded HWMonitor to see that the temps on my CPU was very close and sometimes reaching 80 degrees and I was only getting 50 percent usage from my CPU and 70 percent of my GPU when gaming.

My idle temps are between 50-60 degrees. I have a stock cooler and ALSO my load never reaches 100% on my CPU, rarely going past 70% (when gaming). I don't know how long my CPU has been going like this for, having it run for possibly a year or less, I don't know. On top of temperatures which I am very wary about, gaming performance is DEFINITELY not up there even for these specs. I have tried also to bring up my resolution in games, increasing my GPU load and my CPU stayed the same (degrees again at 80 degrees too aswell as usage being the same). I have tried all of the variations of graphics settings to resolutions to put less strain on my CPU and more on my GPU but nothing is working and I'm scared I may have damaged my CPU but I have no clue. Any advice?