News 80 Percent of Steam's Top 100 Games Run 'Nearly Flawlessly' on Linux

Well, I don't know if Razer gives Linux support for sure (I'll assume a big fat "no"), so I'm outside of that potential jump as I have an Orbweaver and a Tartarus, which I depend on (pretty much) for all my gaming needs; I moved away from using keyboards a long time ago. Also, does SteamVR work in Linux? What about other peripherals like game pads and specialized mice? I alos have a G27 that has unofficial Linux support, but Logitech hasn't made a Linux driver in ages from what I remember.

While this is encouraging, I personally can't be excited as I wouldn't be able to move away from Windows given my "gadgets" not being fully supported. I wonder if Valve will up their "peripherals" game. I'd love to get more hardware from them. I have the game pad they cancelled and it's good. The Index has been excellent and they just need to get into the mice and keyboard market :D

Regards.

azcn2503

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Well, I don't know if Razer gives Linux support for sure (I'll assume a big fat "no"), so I'm outside of that potential jump as I have an Orbweaver and a Tartarus, which I depend on (pretty much) for all my gaming needs; I moved away from using keyboards a long time ago. Also, does SteamVR work in Linux? What about other peripherals like game pads and specialized mice? I alos have a G27 that has unofficial Linux support, but Logitech hasn't made a Linux driver in ages from what I remember.

While this is encouraging, I personally can't be excited as I wouldn't be able to move away from Windows given my "gadgets" not being fully supported. I wonder if Valve will up their "peripherals" game. I'd love to get more hardware from them. I have the game pad they cancelled and it's good. The Index has been excellent and they just need to get into the mice and keyboard market :D

Regards.

I’m unsure of the Orbweaver or Tartarus, but the Razer mouse I had worked flawlessly under Linux. OpenRazer was pretty good for controlling the RGB settings via a GUI. SteamVR also works under Linux.

Reactions: -Fran-
Linux needs all games to be on linux partitions so you can't just use your already downloaded games library.
Re downloading Tb of games or even just finding enough storage space (and the time) to copy them over is going to keep most people with established libraries away from linux for a good long while.
Steam deck is good to go since it's going to be a new device so no baggage for them.

Unless it's a right click option within steam with 100% everything working correctly it might as well not exists, only linux veterans are going to mess with something like that.

You can do it with the file manager. And alternatively the command line is ln -s [path to target] [target name]

First : ProtonDB is, as its name implies, a DATABASE of games running on Proton. It's based directly on WineDB and serves the exact same purpose - this is logical, as proton (the name of the project) is a fork of wine - wine itself is more than 20 years old and proton does commit back several of its improvements.
Second : it's perfectly possible to run games from the Windows install, but many will require reinstalling because registry entries, extra components etc. need to be recovered. However, Steam does include tools to "repair" such an install and not re-download the whole shebang. Worse comes to worst, you can also backup your Windows game install and restore from backup on your Linux install.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Second : it's perfectly possible to run games from the Windows install, but many will require reinstalling because registry entries, extra components etc. need to be recovered. However, Steam does include tools to "repair" such an install and not re-download the whole shebang. Worse comes to worst, you can also backup your Windows game install and restore from backup on your Linux install.
I still don't get why you'd need to install a game on Windows and on Linux. If it is installed on Windows where it is native, why run it on Linux? The point of Proton is to allow people to not install Windows in the first place, using Linux as their only system, right?

DemonicSky

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
I'd say that headline is quite misleading or false. First of all it would depend a lot on which distro. I tried Linux Mint a month ago and can straight away say that majority of the games do not run flawlessly at all. DotA2, does run, but it's similar to running in 60hz rather than 144 (input delay, general lag, 2 min to start the game itself and so on).

In regards to gaming hardware, it's support is virtually nonexistent. OpenRazer at least makes some Razer devices usually, in particular the DPI settings but adjusting the sensitivity in some Linux distro's is just impossible and this is a vital component if you play FPS games as most of us that do tend to have a "set" configuration we run on (Mine's 800 DPI 1.29 sense in CS under a particular resolution and I mimic this on all FPS games)

And as a reply to Salgado18, I run it on Windows and Linux for the above issue. I've tried Linux several times the past years but it's generally a huge disappointment when it comes to gaming. Granted, it's taking steps forward but it's nowhere close as a replacement for Windows which I'm aiming for. Hopefully it will keep improving .