80 PLUS Gold: Four Efficient 700-850 W Power Supplies

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I picked up a Seasonic X-750 on sale at newegg for $130 a while back. Easily the best PSU I've ever worked with. Dead quiet while surfing/working since the fan doesn't even spin. When gaming at max load you still can't hear it over my case fans (and my computer is not loud at all).

I have it in an Antec 902 v3 case and the cable management is a dream.

nerrawg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Hi Toms,

Nice review of some quality units. However there are hundreds of PSUs out there and of course several different ways that they vary such as:
- Maximum wattage
- Efficiency
- 12V rail capacity
- Number of PCI-e connectors and number of pins on these

To help more average consumers and first time builders navigate through the overpopulated horde of PSU suppliers accosting them for their hard earned cash I was wondering if you could guys could make TOMS list of recommended PSUs? Maybe even have a bi or tri-monthly article with it?

I understand that it will be a bit different and maybe more difficult for PSUs as brands and prices are very different simply between vendors, let alone internationally. Some PSU brand however like Corsair, Antec and Silverstone are nearly universal for quality so it can't be impossible.

One way to do this might be to have a recommended list for each typical wattage grouping (i.e 300-400W, 450-550W 600-750W 800-950W 1000W and up - just an example of potential groupings) might be more useful. The reader could then look at the list to find the models that reliable and efficient at the wattage (or 12V rail capacity and amount of 6/8 pin connectors if they want Tri/Quad SLI/CF) they require and then use this to find the best deal for them - or whatever, I'm sure you guys can figure this out

If Toms had a list like this I can guaranty it would become a must read new system builders. There already is kind of a list in the Forums thanks to the excellent work of Proximon and others, but an official TOMs list or article/resource would be great. (Would def be a sure-fire way of getting more site-hits and readers imho, just like your monthly CPU and Graphics card articles no doubt have...)

[citation][nom]flong[/nom]"Corsair don't build there own PSU:s the are mostly Seasonic built, some CWT. For example the Corsair AX series are nearly identical to the Seasonic X series, the only difference is the fan."Actually, this isn't true anymore. Corsair does have other manufacturers build its PSUs but it has its own specs and it tweaks them. But even if the Corsair PSUs are similar to the Seasonic, they deserve to be in this lineup.[/citation]

Actually you can see here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-5.html

that most of Corsair's PSU's in this size range are built by Channelwell. Corsair's 1st tier HX lines and 2nd tier TX lines for all PSU's above 650 watts (the range covered by this article) are all built by Channelwell. Seasonic builds the smaller size units, 650 watts and below, as well as the new AX series 750 and 850. The AX1200 is built by neither but a company that I have little knowledge or experience with called Flextronics.

Antec's high end PSU's are built by Delta and their mid tier units by Seasonic. A Seasonic and FSP are OEM's themselves.

As far as "selection" goes, especially of late it does not appear that THG's goal is to provide a review or "roundup" or broad spectrum of what's available on the marketplace. I expect it's a "we are doing this kinda article in mid May and if ya want your unit included, send us one by April 1st" kinda thing. Whatever shows up gets reviewed.

I am a bit surprised at the focus on efficiency and the lack of attention given to the PSU's ability to deliver stable voltages across varying loads. To me this is of primary importance in selecting a PSU. If voltages are wavering all over the place as load increases it becomes more and more difficult for the system to maintain a stable overclock.

I don't like spending hours tweaking my BIOS to maintain stability under a high overclock under P95 only to find that when a GPU load is added (which doesn't happen under P95) my supply voltages to the 3.3 / 5.0 / 12.0 drop 2, 3 or even 5 %. To me, that's the difference between a 1st tier and lower tier PSU....1% I will pay $200+ for. I don't care beans about whether it's 89 or 91% at load or what the % is at 25 watt load.

technoidgit

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I got a Corsair HX850 onsale last week. I know it is marked a Silver but the HX750 and HX 850 was awarded Gold but Corsair changed it to silver due to being close to standards. I paid $135 for the HX850 which is a steal. Since 80 Plus awarded it a Gold and you pay silver prices it cant be beat.

It is very important to notice that Corsair HX750W, HX850W and HX1000W have nothing to do with other models from this same series. They use a complete different (and better, by the way) design using a DC-DC converter to generate their +5 V and +3.3 V outputs,

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
The HX750 and HX850 are very different from the older HX1000. The newer HX650 is also of the same design as the 750 and 850

Just a heads up ;)

jaghpanther

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
I've got the Seasonic, and it is probably the best PSU I've ever had (though I haven't bought many).

Those asking why this or that PSU wasn't included, just remember TH asked who would be interested in participating and if they don't respond....

I'm pretty sure "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war" should relate to a connotation of kick-assery. And since none of the smoking cheap PSUs can be said to kick-ass, I don't think this phrase is appropriate. Although I guess you're computer's getting kicked pretty hard.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]compton[/nom]Every now and again you can catch the Seasonic X series on sale. I picked up a X-650 for about $110 with shipping. For that price, there isn't really anything better. With out a sale, I still say full modular and 80+ Gold is worth the premium over less auspicious contenders.Thanks for an excellent review.[/citation]

I picked up that same PSU and must have gotten a lemon. That thing squealed just ever so slightly to drive any sane person mad. Eveidently this isn't that rare either as going by reviews on the egg. Getting in touch with tech support was impossible so I vowed to never buy seasonic anything, not even rebranded items like the XFX/Corsair stuff.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bildo123[/nom]I picked up that same PSU and must have gotten a lemon. That thing squealed just ever so slightly to drive any sane person mad. Eveidently this isn't that rare either as going by reviews on the egg. Getting in touch with tech support was impossible so I vowed to never buy seasonic anything, not even rebranded items like the XFX/Corsair stuff.[/citation]

I have one and its fantastic -- completely silent, almost never needs the fan.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]nerrawg[/nom]Some PSU brand however like Corsair, Antec and Silverstone are nearly universal for quality[/citation]

Not an accurate statement at all. You might want to check out Tomshardware's previous article about how to get a clue whether or not a PSU is good or not. One thing interesting you'll find is that Silverstone has various manufacturers make their power supplies, which probably accounts for their up and down quality across the models. Corsair's past PSUs haven't been all that wonderful, though they've stepped up their game.

Thinking any company, and certainly thinking a well-known brand, is a guarantee of quality is a sure-fire way to buy a weak PSU thinking it is a good one. I speak from experience; I strongly recommend you buy a specific model PSU that you've read at least one thorough review of that is very favorable.

;)

phaedrus2129

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

The Corsair AX750 is just a rebranded SeaSonic X760, so rest easy.

Also:
"On the other hand, its rectification of ripple is exemplary. "
Ripple isn't rectified, it's filtered. By capacitors and/or inductors. Alternating current is rectified. By diodes, or synchronous transistors.

phaedrus2129

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
It's true that Corsair and other PSU companies will sometimes make changes to a base model. If it's something like a different fan or housing, that's fine, the OEM expects that. Changes at the component level like different capacitors or transistors are often seen too. Each customer has their own specs. But if a customer's change increases performance or reliability without impacting cost, there's absolutely nothing to stop the OEM from implementing those changes into their base model. If a customer makes a change at the PCB or controller level, that introduces retooling costs and practically requires those changes to be adopted across the entire series of products based on that design, unless the customer wants to foot the entire cost of that retooling themselves.

Take a recent case. SeaSonic made the SS-***AT design for 650-850W PSUs. XFX picked that series for their Core Edition units. They performed pretty well. Then Corsair picked the same series for their TXv2 line of PSUs. However they came up with a few tweaks including a PCB revision and some component changes that slightly improved efficiency and ripple suppression without significantly increasing cost (aside from retooling costs). SeaSonic made the new PCBs and built the units for Corsair. Once they used up the old PCBs, they used the new design for their own units and the XFX ones. After all, otherwise Corsair would have had to foot the entire bill for the retooling, which may have caused them to order a smaller volume or cancel the sale entirely. This way everyone has a slight increase in cost on their next batch, but a better product in the long-term. Incidentally including Corsair's competition; but you can't have everything your way.

How do I know this? I have contacts.

truchonic

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
i just bought a psu but is 80 bronze is the Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W and only cost me $62 if you are building a ultimate rig yes go for gold but is is a normal rig is not necessary to spent that much but of course i want gold one but money is the boss like i always say and i will like to have a 1250w 80 gold maybe on the future

sLOVEnec

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2004
Fairly good article, but for my taste, its missing something. I'd like to see how much electric power does one save by purchasing 80+ gold or even 80+ Platinum over a generic PSU. Surely it must come to measurable differences.

phaedrus2129

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

It's a piece of garbage.

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 W is, according to our methodology, a flawed product that must be avoided at all costs. It can’t deliver its labeled wattage at high temperatures, but this is not the worst of it: ripple and noise level are way above the maximum allowed when you pull 80% or more from the unit’s labeled capacity (i.e., 600 W and above), overloading your components (especially electrolytic capacitors from the motherboard and video cards), which can cause your PC to present an erratic behavior (crashes and random resets) and, under extreme conditions, damage components.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-RX-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/902/9

You seriously expect to get a quality 750W PSU for $62? The highest wattage decent PSU you can get for that price is the Rosewill RG-630 (an ATNG APL unit). Cheapest decent 700-750W unit is the OCZ StealthXStream II 700W, usually around $70-$80.

Excluding products having a major sale or clearance, of course.

G

"On the other hand, its rectification of ripple is exemplary. "
Ripple isn't rectified, it's filtered. By capacitors and/or inductors. Alternating current is rectified. By diodes, or synchronous transistors.

In fact ripple is the VERY RESULT of rectification.

PS. Tom's got a lot lower ripple results for Aurum than Hardwaresecrets did.

phaedrus2129

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

I wouldn't say that. Tom's ripple results look off, and its voltage regulation is weaker as well. And the build quality is much cheaper than the other units used.

However it does come out ahead on the price/performance scale. FSP spent over three years developing this design, taking a rarely-used, "sub-par" topology (active clamp reset forward) and did the math and research needed to get the controller timing 100% right. With the right timing reset forward nearly attains zero voltage switching (ZVS), and allows the use of very cheap silicon components, allowing it to be made cheaper than an equivalent double transistor forward design (as used in the Silverstone tested here). Additionally it doesn't have the two costly inductors and extra transformer needed for LLC resonant half bridge, and so comes out cheaper than that as well (SeaSonic X is half bridge). However ripple with this design is much higher than with the other topologies used in 80PLUS Gold units, so even with very well designed output filters the ripple is still a little too high for an enthusiast/overclocker grade part--at least according to the testing done by HardwareSecrets. As I said, the results Tom's got look a little different from Gabe's, and Gabe has much more experience, so I'd trust his results more. Additionally, FSP had to sacrifice voltage regulation somewhat to keep the duty cycle timed for ZVS, so it doesn't have the awesome 1-2% regulation of SeaSonic X.

FSP Aurum: good 80PLUS Gold unit on a budget, but if you're building a really high end system I'd go with the established SeaSonic X platform and its rebrands.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Why doesn't this article talk about the Power Factor and the importance of devices being the least Inductive as possible (power factor as close to 1.0 as possible, with th possible rang from being close to 0 to close to 1 (usually .99 being best possible)).

While 85%+ PSUs are important, what makes the real difference is if they all have Active Power Factor Control, which I see all the Gold Plus PSUs do have this.

phaedrus2129

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

APFC isn't very important for non-enterprise users. It's standard in everything but crappy units anyway. It's difficult to find a modern unit over $50 that can't do .98+ PF (garbage like Apevia, Ultra, Raidmax, Logisys, etc. don't count since they typically just falsely label pre-2005 units, so aren't modern).

[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]lol. 200 dollar psu's!are you guys complete noobs! do you think we need this ...?[/citation]

Yes, if one wants a top o the line PSU and spending at least $130 it pays to read reviews. And yes, there are plenty of enthusiasts who visit Tom's who want an 80+ gold power supply between 700 and 1000 watts.

Retaliator

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
I also have an AX1200 very solid PSU, decided to future proof powerwise my PC for the next several years, Lots of reviews stated it was a good multi gpu PSU for enthusiasts, Very happy with it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.