Question 800Mhz ram on 400Mhz supported MoBo

Aug 25, 2019
I have Gigabyte GA-945GZM-S2 - motherboard - micro ATX - LGA775 Socket - i945GZ Series and im planning to add 1 ram but base on https://www.cnet.com/products/gigab...rboard-micro-atx-lga775-socket-i945gz-series/

it says the Mobo supports Ram up to 400Mhz and While searching online to buy only 800mhz ram's are somehow Shows I wonder if its that alright. BDW this is my first post sorry if the format of my post is wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, DDR2 wasn't around long enough for there to be low and high density variants, so just about any DDR2 you can find will work provided it has 400MHz timings in its SPD table.

Unlike AMD, those early Intel chipsets were also not the least bit picky, so I have never seen randomly mismatched sticks not work, even a stick of 400/3200 mixed with 1066/8500! I've actually done this on purpose to keep the RAM of a Dell (no adjustments possible in the BIOS) at 400 instead of 533 or 667, because I measured lower latency there, + it already matched the bandwidth of the limiting FSB at the slower speed. So it's OK to give just one new stick a try.

At my local recycler, used 2GB DDR2 sticks are only US$4 each so I would strongly suggest getting used with a DOA warranty like that, as new really isn't worth it for such an old system. The best part of stores like that is you could actually lug your system there and test it before you buy, to avoid multiple trips.

Reactions: yourelose