$800USD gaming pc (South Africa)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chiefomatic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: Withing 1-2 weeks

Budget Range: <R11000 (about $800 USD)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, browsing, very little coding, rendering, potential streaming definitely not priority

Parts Not Required: Optical Drive, Harddrives, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse

Case: Coolermaster Haf X

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.wootware.co.za ; www.Evetech.co.za ; www.landmarkpc.co.za www.takealot.com

Parts Preferences: Really don't care about brands. Just want the best for my price range.

Overclocking: Maybe, within safety, Very light.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Since I live in South Africa product prcing are somewhat diffrent than some other countries.

I have the following choices so far.

Wootware:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Video Card: GALAX - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB EX OC Video Card

Evetech: (They sell what they call upgrade bundles which includes CPU, RAM and Mobo)

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 OC OVERCLOCKED Edition 6GB (Should get stock soon)

I don't mind buying from different shops.

If think of anything else I would edit this post.

Thank you so much in advance. I am by no means a hardware expert so would love to know what the experts have to say.

Solution
Nice build options and good advice on the PSU's.

See the memory QVL PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard my advice would be to pick a kit that is marked as SS in the SS/DS column as Ryzen performs better with single sided modules. Tons of options on the QVL for SS kits Im sure many of the 2400 speed kits are in your budget just not sure which ones you can come by.

If your budget was higher I would say look into the memory kits built using Samsung B-die integrated circuits but these don't come cheap.
Easily fixed by saying something like "You've put the 88R in with an ATX motherboard, might want to change that".
Fixed now, don't worry.
Was never given an initial notice, 'again' is a bit unnecessary, just copied the links over and changed a few bits, that's all.

I'm on mobile , I cannot read the whole thread with quotes as its making my eyes bleed :-/

My advice
Stick with the ryzen 1600 - its by far the best CPU available at it's pricepoint ,
The 1500x isn't good value comparitively .
The 1400 is good value but needs to be overclocked fairly substantially & the stealth cooler isn't really good enough for that.

The Asus prime board is fine , you'll run just about any ram at 2666 on then latest bios update now.
People keep droning on about ram speeds , 2666 1t is absolutely fast enough , 3000/3200mhz 'may' get you an extra 10fps in some instances.
When your already hitting 90fps + its unimportant IMO.
Buy a 16gb kit from the word go, I'd take 16gb 2400 over 8gb 3000/3200 if they were the choices I had.

580 vs 1060 ? No favouritism here , its about bang for buck , from where Im looking the RX cards are overpriced badly in SA , THE GALAX 1060 is very very well priced , stick with it.Galax cards are very very good.

If you have to keep one PSU keep the corsair vs , its better than the Hec built thunder.

Screenshot_2017-05-13-09-10-10.png

To me no matter where he buys from it's just over budget.
As Chugalug says , getting a slightly cheaper 4gb 580 would do the job.
The 1060 3gb is not a card I'd buy personally though , it is good value but 2 years down the line you may find the performance lacking.

Final list.
16GB DDR4, RX 580, Ryzen 1600, B350 Plus motherbard.

http://www.wootware.co.za/amd-ryzen-5-1600-hex-core-3-2ghz-3-6ghz-turbo-socket-am4-desktop-cpu.html
http://www.wootware.co.za/g-skill-f4-2400c15d-16gvs-ripjaws-16gb-2-x8gb-ddr4-2400mhz-cl15-1-20v-desktop-memory.html
http://www.wootware.co.za/corsair-cp-9020102-cx550m-550w-80-plus-bronze-certified-semi-modular-desktop-power-supply.html
http://www.wootware.co.za/gigabyte-radeon-rx-580-gaming-gv-rx580gaming-4gd-4gb-gddr5-256-bit-pci-e-3-0-desktop-graphics-card.html
http://www.wootware.co.za/asus-prime-b350-plus-amd-ryzen-socket-am4-atx-desktop-motherboard.html

Chiefomatic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

1) Sorry forgot to change that during my drafts. I might do some youtube videos now and then and MIGHT try streaming if my internet improves, but gaming is still my #1 priority.

2) Not really looking to downscale since I love the big Haf X I have now

All prices on Wootware are VAT inclusive. Shipping will be free since I can collect at the offices, if they don't include free shipping. They are on average cheaper than landmarkpc.

That works out @ R13126, which is above my pricelist. So I had this in mind let me know if this is OK:

Ryzen 5 1600 @R3499
Asus prime b350- plus @R1871
Galax GTX 1060 EX OC @R4199
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR4 3200mhz 1.35v black @R1367
EVGA 210-GQ-0650-V1 650W @R1492 (Might be an issue to get this since they don't currently have stock.)

Total:R12 426

I'll keep both these build in mind.

Thanks so much for the effort <3

Chiefomatic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

Thanks! So many posts to respond to :)

I cannot tell everyone how much I appreciate all this help. Great community. Thanks to everyone that have posted. I'll update my above post with latest builds.

I am still open to other ideas.

As an update I sold my VS650 and have a buyer for my other PSU. So I'll have a look if I can up my budget, but might not happen.

Chiefomatic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

I'm in Australia, but the majority are from the US. :)

Multicultural :D as it should be

Not to sound derogatory to our american members but you will generally get a better understanding of pricing & budget from people outside the USA.

The US dollar seems to be a global comparison currency & a lot of USA members will generally assume the price of components comparatively will be in line.

As one of the 'outsiders' I known it's not.
Same as Lucky above , India has it far far worse on component choice & pricing than 95% of the rest of the world.
Pricing on the rx cards in india is just nonsensical generally

Can't do newegg in the UK , prices are great then you get hit with +40% tax & import duty :-/

Once we're out of the European Union proper its going to get worse for us as that'll get added onto European purchases too :-/

Luckily small island + abundance of online retailers = competition & decent prices overall .
Not as cheap as the USA still but manageable.