[SOLVED] 80C Temps on CPU safe?

Lt_Apex

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
Typically just doing a CPU stress test the CPU will set at 63-68C with the highest spike being 68C. Whenever playing games I see the CPU sit around 65-73C with spikes up to 80C which I'm sure only lasts for a few seconds at a time. Is this okay and safe? I know that a GPU can contribute to warmer temps but I just wanna be on the safe side. I have an 8600K OC to 4.9 GHz and a top mounted rad.

Solution

Those temperatures don't make sense ... the stress and game values don't match those type of workloads.

Almost any "stress" tests will result in higher Core temperatures than any "games".

It's a little known fact that the most deceiving (but very popular) "stress" test is AIDA64's individual CPU test selection, which is less than 70% workload, giving the user a false sense of security because Core temperatures are seemingly low.

So the obvious question is ... which "stress" test did you run?

CT :sol:

Lt_Apex

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

Uhh idk lol. Asus made it easy so i assume it pulls what it needs with asus' preset auto

WildCard999

Titan

Don't use auto overclocking software....even if it's in the BIOS, it almost always gives too much voltage to the CPU which can ruin the CPU later on (electromigration).

CompuTronix

Intel Master

Those temperatures don't make sense ... the stress and game values don't match those type of workloads.

Almost any "stress" tests will result in higher Core temperatures than any "games".

It's a little known fact that the most deceiving (but very popular) "stress" test is AIDA64's individual CPU test selection, which is less than 70% workload, giving the user a false sense of security because Core temperatures are seemingly low.

So the obvious question is ... which "stress" test did you run?

CT :sol:

Solution