8600 GTS on sale now?

pseudopeon

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Just like "premium" overclocked 320MB GTS' are a bad buy over a stock 640MB GTS, a 8600 doesn't seem like a smart purchase over a 8800...

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Just like "premium" overclocked 320MB GTS' are a bad buy over a stock 640MB GTS, a 8600 doesn't seem like a smart purchase over a 8800...

I am sorry sir but they are NOT !!! They are amazing buys , the overclocked version from EVGA has its stream processors overclocked , which gives it a advantage over the stock or vanilla card.

Also another thing the overclocked cards from EVGA come with better ram, so you can overclock them even higher .

"The graphics core on the Superclocked cards runs at 576MHz (76MHz faster than a stock 8800 GTS), while the stream processors are overclocked to 1.35GHz (that’s 150MHz higher than the reference GTS card). These are the same speeds as a stock GeForce 8800 GTX by the way, ensuring that both Superclocked boards will be terrific performers". Firingsquad
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/evga_e-geforce_8800_gts_superclocked_320mb/page2.asp

Please let me know if i am misinformed on any points :?

Also the price difference between a 640 and a 320 is pretty significant .

almost a 100$ http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=38&name=Video-Cards-Video-Devices

that is a lot of money between 2 graphic cards 8O

pseudopeon

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
At lower resolutions, I would agree that an overclocked 320MB GTS is a good buy, but no amount of ramping up clock speeds will give you an advantage over the extra memory once you start bumping up the resolution / AA / AS.

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
At lower resolutions, I would agree that an overclocked 320MB GTS is a good buy, but no amount of ramping up clock speeds will give you an advantage over the extra memory once you start bumping up the resolution / AA / AS.

Okay first of all i play at 1600x1200 which is perfect and i don't consider this a low resolution by any standards.

Secondly i run games at 8aa and 16af with all settings a GO :D THIS card rocks for the money .

IT absolutely screams in all my games i play NFMW 16aa 16af with everything and it is well above 60 fps .

Smoooth , a real good buy . Another thing if you are going to game higher then this then you may as well get a GTX .

Its all about spoiling yourself , if you get used to 19x 12 resolution , you are always going to be wanting to play at that resolution . So Come crysis you will need the GTX at that resolution .

As for me ill just bump it down a res, plus i am not a huge fan of FPS , although in my position i would get more than acceptable frame rates. 8)

pseudopeon

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
8O Fair enough! lol
I thought the 320MB GTS would hold its own against 1950XT cards and the 640MB GTS took it one stage further... but you can't complain if it does exactly what you want.

lx_flier

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Wait a minute slash, The 320mb gts is a great buy but the overclocked version is in no way better then a 640mb gts in the hands of an experienced overclocker.

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I wonder what the prices between these two cards are going to look like when the 8900 drops...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the 320 phased out very shortly. That's a LOT of 8800s to worry about.... especially when you include the stock OCed ones. I could see them dropping the 320 by pricing the 640 w/in $30/$50 of it.

I know it isn't out yet, but are the mid-range cards really gonna cost this much? Seems a bit high. Any idea on actual pricing and when it will actually be out, I hear April 17

Pre-launch pricing is always higher than what you will find elsewhere. That MSRP is still below that of the GTS-320, however you can find it cheaper elsewhere, which will be the case when the GF8600s hit. Although at $252, it's going to be a tough launch at places like NewEgg; but likely their main concerns are the big box anyways, where the GTS-320 is not that cheap.

As for it actually being out on April 17th, you're gonna have to look for the latest rumours.

Perhaps you should wait until you can actually buy the card before getting your panties in a bunch about pricing. Hmmm. :tongue:

As for the 320 vs 640 GTS discussion; the main thing is whether the ~$90 difference is worth the few situations where 640MB matters over 320MB. And really that's not the majority of current situations except for rare cases like texture mods.
The big concern is the unknown future applications especially for dual load apps like graphics and physics on the same card, situations like that may get memory starved quickly. But conversely the core load may be higher in future games where AA and ultra high resolutions don't play as heavy a role, and potentially the impact of 640vs320 compared to more/less core power or even memory sthroughput might be less important. Of course that also depends on the effciciency of the titles.