8600K Overclock 4.7GHz. Confused with results.

AMDSY3D

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
This is my first time overclocking a CPU and am a bit confused. I have a 8600K on a Aorus 5 Z370 board, with a CLC 280 liquid cooler.

For my overclock, I have it at 1.285V, LLC set to Turbo, multiplier set to 47 and uncore set to 42. However, my temps seem really high, especially with a liquid cooler while running Prime95 small FFTs. HWMonitor is also showing me a different voltage than what I have it set on, around 1.2V. But if it's at 1.2V my temps shouldn't be that high correct? Here is a screenshot: https://imgur.com/uI7jPeQ

I am not sure what is wrong. First thing I'm confused about is why is the voltage different from what I have it set to. Second thing is why am I getting higher temps compared to air coolers. Thermal paste? Faulty pump? I am running this in a P400S, however even with that case it shouldn't be performing worse than an air cooler right? When I take the front off, temp drops between 1 and 5 degrees under load. My airflow is I have a 120mm static pressure exhaust fan at the back, PSU facing up (doesn't really matter but kind of an exhaust), and a push/pull configuration with the radiator, where I have the 120mm fans with the case pulling air in, with the CLC 280's fans on the inside pushing. Last thing is if I should have Speed Shift on or off?

Thanks

I think your results are nominal.
The important thing is to monitor vcore being used, not what you think you set it at.
CPU-Z seems to me to be the most reasonable way.

If speed shift is the same as speed step, that is a good thing.
You will see the multiplier in cpu-z reduce from 47 to a lower number as well as the vcore voltage reduce when not under load.

While stress testing, I would not be alarmed at 85c.
Under normal usage, it will be less.

Prime95 is a nasty test. It uses AVX instructions which are uncommon in normal use.
AVX greatly increases heat so look for a setting called AVX offset, setting it to -2 will reduce the multiplier and consequent heat generation when avx instructions are present.

I would set up your case with two 140mm front intakes. They move more air quietly than 3 120mm fans.
Mount the radiator up top with intake from the inside the case.
Not quite as efficient cpu cooling, but your motherboard and graphics card will do better.
Best to get generated heat out of the case faster.

Any cooler, liquid or air depends on a good source of fresh air. Pay attention to the intake capabilities or your cooler.
With liquid, you can't win.
If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.

AMDSY3D

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

Unfortunately the P400S cannot mount the rad at the top, so I'm forced to use the front. Here is CPU-Z Aorus edition https://imgur.com/ASIsrsN . So I should put on Speedshift and set AVX offset to 2? Maybe also get 2 140s to replace the front pull fans and use those fans for exhaust at the top?

Thanks