8700k Heating Issues with GOOD AIO

Hey all,

Normally I'm the one of the ones answering questions instead of asking them, but this time need some help from the community.

I know all about 8700ks running hot and delidding blah blah blah, but that should only be required with a pretty decent OC. Especially if you are running a good AIO, it shouldn't even be required.

I'm running a Z370 MSI Gaming 5 board and 8700k with a mild OC. The OC is applied from the XMP profile and thats it. Nothing additional. Should be running XMP 3600mhz on ram and CPU OC to 4.35ghz. Not really a crazy overclock, its basically stock speed which can be reached with turbo enabled.

My idle temps appear to be 10c above normal (from what I see with others that own the 8700k and similar AIO cooler, should be around 35c idle) and when I run Prime95 for even 3 seconds the temps get to 100c and cap out (thermal throttle is at 90c and TJmax I believe is 100c). I'm trying to narrow down the root cause of the issue. I'm trying to avoid delidding if possible and I suspect the issue isnt that, as the CPU worked fine when I first installed it.

I have troubleshooted the general system, including AIO. The pump appears to be working and fans as well. There is no alerts in Corsair link indicating issue either. (see pics below).

I also recently updated the BIOS as I saw a lot of patches improvements for TPM and CPU overclocking voltages etc... However the update didn't change much.

I suspect issue could be with AIO cooler but I'm not seeing any indication of that, and this is an expensive cooler. I'd hate to order a replace and it not fix anything. (and no, dont have a spare cooler efficient enough for a 8700k to test with on hand)

Aside for a cooler issue. I remember in the recent past watching a video about an issue with ACE (All Core Enhancement) option on ASUS mobos that added way more heat to the system due to core enhancement being applied to all CPU cores. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this maybe applying to MSI boards as well? Anyone know of any BIOS settings I may need to check to keep it running at the normal speeds (or with mild OC) while reducing the heat? (any known issues with specific BIOS settings that could be causing this?) The power of google failed me on this aspect.

I believe after ruling out BIOS I may just order another AIO cooler. I currently have an H115i and only had it for just barely 2 years.

Thoughts?

P.S.
Please dont reply with basics. They have been checked like replacing the thermal compound etc.. I'm asking for expert advise on specifically the MSI mobo and 8700k.

My System Specs:
MSI Z370 Gaming 5 Mobo
MSI GTX 1080 TI
8700k with mild OC from XMP @ 4.35GHz
16GB Vengeance Ram @ 3600mhz with XMP OC
Windows 10 Pro x64

Stock Results
1z2d3mh.png

[b]Prime95 Results[/b]
23k2gyd.png

Prime95 with HWMointor
3150nxi.png

Solution
I have had a problem with that same cooler and had to do an RMA. Your pump speed is a little high at 3200rpm. It should be around 2900rpm in performance mode. My H115i was pushing similarly high pump rpm (3200+) and I did some digging and found some other forums that had similar issues. I never found out what was wrong with the cooler or why it was running higher pump rpm (some forums said it was clogged, but I don't know why that would make higher pump rpm), but Corsair took the RAM and sent me another cooler and I did not have any problems after that.

1. I did kill it after 3 secs.. this isn't my first rodeo.
2. No, believe it was only a one year warranty. But thats the reason for this post. To ensure it is the AIO before I go ordering an expensive replacement...
3. Case is a Fractal R5 with 6 Fans in a neutral configuration with a custom fan curve via fan controller. Obviously not related as you can see temps from all other items in the case and its perfect. Been running this setup for years.

I have had a problem with that same cooler and had to do an RMA. Your pump speed is a little high at 3200rpm. It should be around 2900rpm in performance mode. My H115i was pushing similarly high pump rpm (3200+) and I did some digging and found some other forums that had similar issues. I never found out what was wrong with the cooler or why it was running higher pump rpm (some forums said it was clogged, but I don't know why that would make higher pump rpm), but Corsair took the RAM and sent me another cooler and I did not have any problems after that.

Solution

I think Corsair has a 5 year warranty for the AIO. I had mine for more than a year and they took the RMA.

first of all,

what's the temperature of prime95 with stock settings? you also need to make sure that you stress the AIO for at least 10 minutes or more to get the coolant inside to a steady state.

did you leave your cpu voltage to auto? I didn't see where mentioning the voltage. 1.34V seems a bit high for almost 50mhz oc on the CPU.
usually, if you leave the option to auto, voltages tends to be quite high, way more than you will need. I would suggest you to manually tune the cpu voltage to 1.25, it should be fine since you are running stock and try again.

the thing you are looking is enhanced turbo I believe, check the setting. see if disabling this does anything. ASUS calls it MCE or multi core enhancement (something like that)

Awesome thanks man. I did notice that as well but pump seemed to jump down to normal speeds after a bit on idle so thought that was just performance mode doing its thing. I had it on balanced mode for two years without problems and moved it to performance mode during troubleshooting.

And you might be right about RMA. I bought it from newegg.com and newegg's warranty is only a year but I'll give Corsair a call because it might be a 5 year with them directly.

Thats sad thats its an issue with these AIOs they are expensive and a beast of AIO. I used it for first two years and nothing could get it even close to 90c even while under full load and in balanced mode... Thats one reason why I was hoping it was a BIOS settings (since this is a fairly new mobo) and not the AIO : (

But since no one chimed in about the BIOS stuff. Guess I'll try RMA first. Thanks again.

Even on stock (I tried manually setting it and also factory resetted the BIOS to recommended defaults) the results were exactly the same as images above.

And yes you are right, enhanced turbo is what I was looking for. I'll try that a try, thanks.

Yes... that much I know. The point is that software is reporting the pump to be working and physically I can feel it to be working also.

Like I stated earlier. I rather be sure then just go running out buying a $100+ AIO again if its not needed.

Its also not the first time power issues due to a mobo settings to be the cause of overheating as well...

SOftware only knows that the pump appears to be at X rpm, it has no idea of actual proper fluid flow, however...

If your case is wide enough for the Noctua NH-D15, they are now about $89 on Amazon, and whisper quiet. (requires 165 mm mounting height clearance, however)