8700k temps with Kraken x62

Sep 5, 2018
Intel 8700k stock with no OCs. Kraken x62 cooler. Getting idle temps 35-42c and load temps spiking to 85c+. My previous system was a 6700k with H110i GTX cooler and idled at 20-25c... basically slightly above ambient house temps. Is it normal for the 8700k to run that hot under the Kraken x62??

Solution
Pretty high for stock clocks. Motherboards tend to be a bit liberal with voltage on stock settings. I would try 1.2-1.25v for stock clocks, possibly even lower.

With the balanced power setting enabled clocks should drop to around 800mhz with no load. But only with no load, windows still does stuff when idling that can increase CPU usage. Look in task manager.

poopflinger

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
The 8700k is a nuclear reactor in terms of thermals. If you're sure you mounted the cooler properly, then you may need to consider a delid or possibly return it to Intel under warranty. If that CPU was on a budget air cooler, it'd be at least 10 degrees warmer. That's worthy of a return under warranty to Intel. If that CPU isn't overclocked, it shouldn't even matter what settings (Performance or Silent) are used on the Kraken. It should be under 80 degrees Celcius at stock clocks.

Sep 5, 2018
To clarify, my 85+ load temps at AIDA64 and Cinebench give 80+. My biggest concern is fresh boot at idle and I’m getting average of 38c at idle. All fans and pump is at performance settings based on CPU temp. If I crank everything to max I still can’t achieve below 30c at idle. My next step was to remount cooler and re-apply thermal paste.

Sep 5, 2018
Dunlop0078 - I believe your on to something with the core voltage. I am looking into this further now. Anyways, using CPU-Z at idle: core speed fluctuates from 800Mhz to 4400MHz but tends to hang around the 4000-4400 90% of the time. This is leaving core voltage at 1.344-1.360V which seems unusually high for me considering I am running no overclocks. I am unsure of why the system is constantly pushing 4400MHz at 1.36V. It down clocks but only for a second or two. Thank you all for you quick replies.

Sep 5, 2018

Dunlop0078 - I believe your on to something with the core voltage. I am looking into this further now. Anyways, using CPU-Z at idle: core speed fluctuates from 800Mhz to 4400MHz but tends to hang around the 4000-4400 90% of the time. This is leaving core voltage at 1.344-1.360V which seems unusually high for me considering I am running no overclocks. I am unsure of why the system is constantly pushing 4400MHz at 1.36V. It down clocks but only for a second or two. Thank you all for you quick replies.

Sep 5, 2018

Also, if this info is helpful I will add it as well.
In BIOS CPU stats are reading 3700MHz - 37c - 100MHz BCLK - 1.344 Core Voltage - 37x ratio

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Pretty high for stock clocks. Motherboards tend to be a bit liberal with voltage on stock settings. I would try 1.2-1.25v for stock clocks, possibly even lower.

With the balanced power setting enabled clocks should drop to around 800mhz with no load. But only with no load, windows still does stuff when idling that can increase CPU usage. Look in task manager.

Solution
Sep 5, 2018

I will give that a try. This is a new build with Windows 10 Pro and all updates. I noticed the temps slightly abnormal from the start and have not put much in the way of programs and applications, so I wouldn't think there would be much of anything running in the background to cause this "abnormal" of temps. I will defiantly try adjusting voltages.

Sep 5, 2018

Yes, core voltage is set to auto and is setting it to 1.344. Which sounds a little high to me but not entirely familiar with the 8th gen lineup.

Sep 5, 2018
I believe I have found my problem. I have overestimated the airflow of my case. I went with the H500i from NZXT. I removed side panel and gave fans a little boost. Temps perfect... average 60c under AIDA64 load. I chalk this up to my overestimation of the airflow performance of this case. Thanks for all who replied to this thread.

Nov 22, 2018
Did removing the case panels fix your problem entirely?? I have the same cpu and case as you and a 1080 and I get temps around 85 right now while playing rainbow six siege

Sep 5, 2018

Slightly. If I crank up the fans with the back panel off I got close to the temps I was wanting to see. I plan to check to make sure I mounted the cooling block properly and that the thermal paste was spread evenly. I went with the stock paste that was pre-applied. My system never "over heats," but with my previous system I was expecting a lot lower. In assuming I mounted everything properly, I just summed up that the elevated temps were either due to the different cooler, or lack of airflow in this case. I have yet to test anything further.