noeth2

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
I am way beyond my limited knowledge in computers. I was sold a 'white' box"
nFORCE 680iLT SLI Motherboard
- Intel Pentium D Dual Core 3.0 GHz Processor
- 2 x 160 GB SATA Hard Drives- 1 GB DDR2 RAM
- DVD +/- RW Dual Layer burner
- Cooler Master X Dream 4 CPU Cooling Fan - Socket 775, Copper Core, Aluminum Fins
- 1 Gbit built in LAN Adapter
- PowerUp Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB and Audio Ports and 450-Watt Power Supply

not knowing it needed a video (duh) and
So, I bought what was recommended: a nVidia 8800GT 5123 MB, then 2 1TB Green WD drives, 2 sticks of 1GB OCZ Reaper ram (had to pull the 1GB that was in the box)

Now...I Finally have it up and running with a pci vdeo card, and the 1TB drives unhooked. I have read and read some more with no help in sight about what to do about this video card or drives.

I am guessing that the Video card I bought bare, needs an auxilary power cable, and of course, all I have is the card...I cannot find any installation instructions for this card, so I don't even know what I am missing out of a new box.

Win XPro doesn't load with the 2 TB drives hooked up and I can't get the video card to do anything but beeeeeep..

Can some one help me PLEASE???

noeth2

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
this psu unit doesn't have anything like that 'left over' the only cables I have left are those that can be hooked up to peripherals like DVD drives and/or floppies and/or SATA/IDE drives...I would guess I need an adapter of some kind.

I know this mobo has other 'spots' for power to be hooked into for the SLI configuation, but I am not trying to do that, just get ONE video card to work!

So, where would I find a description, name, part number or whatever I need to hook this big guy up to the psu and make it work?

Thanks so much for such a fast reply...
I have been trying to get this fixed for over 3 weeks and finally just tore down one of my very Old units and pulled the pci video out of it to use as a stop gap measure.

Thanks again for your help

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Looks like the you got a generic 450W PSU (or a really old one) if it doesn't even have a PCI-E 6pin connector. I would suggest against running such a nice system on a weak PSU, you will definitely live to regret it. I understand that you might not want to put more money given that you just bought a lot of new stuff to your PC, but a quality PSU is the most important component that you can add to your PC.

Here you have two very nice deals for top quality PSUs with free shipping:

Antec Neo Power 500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply 100Vac to 240Vac +/- 10% UL, CUL, TUV, CE, FCC, CCC, CB, C-tick - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103940

Antec NeoPower 650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371011

I own the 500W version on another PC and I love that unit, will definitely buy another Antec unit for my next build in a year or so.

noeth2

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
ok, Ryan, I see the picture, but my video car has 6 pins coming out of the side slot, not 2 or 4 as this looks.
also, I am close as far as the wattage is concerned...I have a 450 watt, but don't plan on adding a second card.

I collect PC games and some programs; I have them starting back in the Atari days, on thru to Crysis, but of all of the hundreds I own, I have finished 4 in 20+ years. I am fascinated with the technology, but have never gotten into the gaming end...I might if this computer does what it is supposed to, though ;)

back to topic...if I get this cable, will it work, even tho it has 4 prongs instead of 6?
Thanks again for your time

ryanthesav

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
The connector that I showed you was a profile view of the connector. It is really a six pin connector made up of two four pin connectors. I dont understand how you do not have any four pin connectors. I pretty sure all do. If you have a 450 watt psu I would look at another psu. Check out www.newegg.com. Hope this helps.

noeth2

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
I DO have 4 pin connnectors...It is the other end that doesn't look like it matches the card's interface. I would give you a picture of the plug if I knew how to insert a jpeg in this...sorry...really ignorant about this :(

Thanks for your help

noeth2

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
that's exactly what I need!! Thank you so much!

And then this card will work??? or is there a support page somewhere I haven't found yet for it?

It will work if your PSU is up to the task. Your PSU should have a sticker on it that states the ampers on the different voltage rails the most important one today is the +12volt rail and for that GPU I would not recommend anything less that 25amps. If you could post either that raiding or what brand and model your PSU is we can find that information on the internet
In any system the PSU is the most important component, if it goes bad it can take the rest of the system with it.

If your psu is a PowerUp that came with the case it has enough amps but is a low quality unit that can cause a lot of problems in the future anywhere from instability to burnt parts (I just read some customer reviews on a vendor site). One of the best deals on the market now for quality units is at buy.com see links both will run your system and have all the connectors you need.
http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-vx-550w-atx-power-supply/q/loc/101/205852646.html
http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-vx-450w-power-supply/q/loc/101/205466485.html

noeth2

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
PowerUp Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB and Audio Ports and 450-Watt Power Supply

It's a model: 450W and I took a picture of it, but don't know how to import it to my reply. If you all can walk me through this, I would really appreciate it. I could put it up on a webspace or?

This has become a monster, because as some of you have commented, the parts are not low end, and I thought the box, being new, wasn't either, but I have been corrected by you experts. I spent quite a bit on added peripherals, and I can't even get XPro to recognize the TB Drives.

Just tell me what to do and I will do it! I am not stupid, just obviously ignorant. Up until now, I have built and maintained everything I have ever owned, computer wise...thought I had been doing pretty well by myself as a 'senior' citizen type gramma, but, alas, :( , I 've become part of the 'problem', instead of part of the solution...

noeth2

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
yes, the drives show up in the BIOS and also in the systems properties, but I haven't figured out how to partition them and/or format them for Windows to recognize. I thought that the XP disk had the exe to do that, but my brain is fried right now from all of this I can't remember my DOS commands and figure out the right one. Gawd!!

hesskia

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
install the HDD's, go into WIndows -> Control Panel-> administrative tools -> Computer management -> pick Disk managment under storage. Right click on your drive and pick "create volume" or something of that nature and follow throught he prompts.

I am not sure if I have misunderstood what has been discussed. My impression is that you don't have Windows installed on this machine and you are presently using a PCI video card so that you can get into your BIOS. Is this correct? If it is correct and you have attempted to boot from your Win XP CD and you don't see your drives, you probably have AHCI (aka NCQ) turned on for the SATA controller in the BIOS. If this is the case just go into the BIOS and set it to Native (or whatever it's called). This should allow the drives to be seen from the installation CD. If all the above assumptions are correct, then you should be able to partition and format the partition from there.

Of course if Windows XP is already installed (apparently on an HDD that hasn't been discussed), then follow what hesskia said and you should be fine.

P.S. iluvgillgill, that's not called for, this is someone's grandma.

noeth2

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
I have a line on this power supply..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103941

Also, have found a cable for the 8800GT as was suggested...waiting on it to install.

I may have resolved the hard drive issues, too...will keep you all posted...What an experience!!!

I am now in the process of resolving the "!" marks in the DEVICE Manager of XP...There is one beside PCI Device, SM Bus Controller and Other PCI Device Bridge.
I have been to the Intel downloads fo an update to resolve the SM Bus Controller, but it still pops up as not working.

THANK YOU for all of your input...You are greatly appreciated by this floundering newbie :}

noeth2

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
btw, techgeek...thanks for sticking up for 'grammas'...my grandkids think I know everything about computers, because I can keep theirs running...I just got tech-greedy here and knew what I wanted, just not how to use it...like iluvgillgill said. But I WILL learn, thanks you guys!
Gramma huggs!

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
sorry noeth2 im not to offend you but just in a difficult situation.
mayby you should(if they are old enough) say to your grandson say "its time for you to learn!try problem solving!"

and you can free youself from this sticky situation.:D

noeth2

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
iluvgillgill,
no offense taken...my 5 grandkids are all under 12 and my 2 daughters are computer-phobic...not their fortes and obviously, not mine any more.

so, since you are a wizard at this stuff, how about this power supply? I am trying to get this unit up and running asap, with a PSU locally found....this is the model:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371002&Tpk=TP3-550

Also, if I have a 'seller' who has
OCZ Reaper 2GB DDR2 Memory PC2 9200 6400 2 x 1GB (new) available

will these sticks be compatible with PC2 6400 2 x 1GB OCZ Reapers I have in there now?

If I am going to be called a 'noob', at least you all will feel like experts giving me advice on this system...By the time I get done putting all the bell and whistles in it, I should have a 'dream machine', right? ;)