8gb RAM installed only 4gb usable.

Synikx

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
Hello all, Happy New Year!

So I am using a window 7 64 bit HP prebuilt with a gt 440, 1 optical drive and a 1tb HDD.

I switched out the HP prebuilt case for a coolermaster and am now running a GTX 660 along with a new 500w Corsair PSU.

I am getting a issue with the ram. The system had 3 DIMM cards installed, 2gb each, it was running 6 gb RAM before i did the upgrades. Currently It is unable to run the remaining 2 gb. In system information it was showing 4gb.

So I took each stick of DIMM and put it in each slot and was able to boot it every time, so the RAM and the slots both seem fine.
I then took my old DIMM from my old PC(4 sticks of 2GB) and put it in just for the hell of it and cause I was getting tired of working on it.

Now Windows system information is showing 8GB installed and 4GB usable. I am confused.

CPU-Z shows 8gb installed, even the BIO's shows 8gb installed but still only 4 gb usable.

I have confirmed my BIOs shows 4 slots are being used, msconfig > boot boxes are all unchecked and I have gone so far as to number the DIMM sticks 1-4 and attempt different number combinations of placement into the motherboard.

It is also worth mentioning I originally placed the motherboard in with no risers. The rear audio jack was not working. I then placed risers and the audio jack started to work. So I am not certain if this created a short somehow, but it seems unlikely since all DIMM slots work.

I was just going to buy 2 new 4GB ram sticks and throw them in there, but now I am not sure if for some reason the system cannot use over 4gb RAM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Synikx

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
Yes it is listed as dual channel in CPU-Z. I also cannot find a BIOs for the motherboard, which i believe might relate to the problem. Prebuilt model is: manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
product HPE-410t
motherboard is: vendor MSI
model 2A9C

Synikx

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
Understandable. Honestly, I am running into a wall at every angle I try. I think it might just be best to invest in a new motherboard to bypass the problem. Unless someone else has a solution.

These memory options were available from HP on a new Pavilion Elite HPE-410t:
•4 GB (2 x 2 GB) DDR3 PC3-10600
•6 GB (3 x 2 GB) DDR3 PC3-10600
•8 GB (4 x 2 GB) DDR3 PC3-10600
•9 GB (2 x 4 GB, 1 x 1 GB) DDR3 PC3-10600
•12 GB (2 x 4 GB, 2 x 2 GB) DDR3 PC3-10600
•16 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR3 PC3-10600

It is not a good idea to mix additional RAM modules with these because they have never been tested for compatibility together. If you want to buy a new kit, that is fine, but don't combine it with another memory kit. If you want to mix memory you are free to do so, but you are doing your own testing for compatibility.

From memory manufacturer G.Skill FAQs:
Q:
I want to install more memory, in addition to my existing memory kit. What are my options?

A:
We do not recommend mixing memory kits, regardless of brand or model.

By mixing memory kits together, there may be compatibility issues such as unable to boot or unable to operate at rated specifications.

Each of our memory kit are thoroughly tested to ensure compatibility within each memory kit. And because we have not tested our memory kit with your existing memory kit, we cannot guarantee compatibility when multiple kits are used.

Synikx

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015

I am not mixing memory. The prebuilt came with 3x 2GB DIMMS for 6gb total. I took all 3 of those and replaced them with 4x 2GB DIMMS that are the same make/model and PC3 that the old ones were from my old prebuilt HP.

Both instances have the same exact DIMM sticks, just the later has an additional for 8gb. over 6gb.

This also wouldnt explain while using the original 3x 2GB DIMMS for 6gb RAM how it still would leave me with 4gb usable.