Question 8gb vs 16gb gpu?

BillWiTheScienceFi

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
Is it worth it to go for 16gb? Do i even need it? I want to be able to play newer/next gen games. I'm already planning on upgrading my cpu and gpu to rtx 4060 ti but not sure if i should spend the extra for 16gb or is 8 just fine?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends a lot on your resolution and the settings you like to configure.

Plenty of games out there that can exceed 8GB of VRAM, but that is only a matter of turning down some settings to make it run more efficiently at the cost of some image quality.

If you like to run at max graphics settings and don't care too much about FPS, then 16GB is better. But for $100 premium it kind of still sucks. 7800XT blows it out of the water in performance for the same price.

If you are sticking with Nvidia, RTX 4070 Super is worth the investment as an decent 1080p ultra/ 1440p high card.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Is it worth it to go for 16gb? Do i even need it? I want to be able to play newer/next gen games. I'm already planning on upgrading my cpu and gpu to rtx 4060 ti but not sure if i should spend the extra for 16gb or is 8 just fine?
Hey there,

If you're gonna buy new, and not have any regrets, I'd say straight away go for a 16gb card. It will play newer titles with higher graphical detail and higher resolutions (obviously depending on which exact card you get).

I would not get though, the 4060ti 16gb. IMO, that cards is a waste of space. It's abutchered hardware set up, and every time I think about it, I get annoyed! :ROFLMAO: I'm currently playing Immortals Of Aveum , with a 3060ti 8gb. My card is only sufficient for 1080p 60 FPS at all low settings. (There is only low and high, no medium). With only texture details increased to high the 8gb vram goes from about 5.5gb to 7.8gb usage, and it's starts to stutter here and there. GOing 16gb is a no brainer.

I wouldn't even recommend a 4070 12gb. It won't cut it at 1080p in a year or two, unless dialing back some settings. New game engines like Unreal 5 are resource hogs.

Edit: If you don't mind last gen, then you could go for something like a RX 6800 16gb. Still a very good card in pure raster performance, but falls behind a little in Ray Tracing then the newer cards. It could be reasonably priced depending on where you shop.

logainofhades

Titan

8gb is quickly becoming not enough, even at 1080p. That said, the 4060ti 16gb is a terrible buy. An RX 6800 is cheaper and faster. The 7800xt is close in price, and faster yet.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: MSI VENTUS 2X BLACK OC GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB Video Card ($432.81 @ B&H)
Video Card: PowerColor Fighter OC Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($449.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Core Radeon RX 6800 16 GB Video Card ($339.99 @ Newegg)

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-07-16 12:32 EDT-0400

1080p-p.webp

1440p.png