8GB vs. 16GB RAM for Retina MacBook Pro

raphaem

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
I'm planning on buying a new rMBP, 13in, 3.0GHz Haswell processor, 512GB SSD flash storage, and... 8 or 16GB of RAM?

I use my Mac for normal school stuff (Pages, Keynotes, etc..), browsing the Web (Google Chrome, 5-15 tabs open) and most importantly, gaming and video editing.

For gaming, it ranges from Super Hexagon-like simple games to TES5 Skyrim, and don't forget Borderlands The Pre Sequel.

Video editing is in 720p HD, often 30m-2h of raw footage, and I use Final Cut Pro X.

My Mac now (2.4GHz, 512GB HDD, 4GB RAM, Late 2011) is starting to choke and die on optimizing media and using FCPX, and even Borderlands is sluggish.

So for my new rMBP, should I go with 8GB or 16GB of RAM?

Thanks in advance

Solution
So checking apples website, the rMBA 13 with the 3.0 GHz i5 CPU upgrade and 16 GB of RAM runs about $2200. I think you're money is better spent buying the rMBA 15 with the 2.5 GHz i7 (better for multi-tasking), comes with 16 GB of RAM starting (yay?) and has a video card (if you want to play games). The base 13" rMBA ONLY has the Intel IRIS, which really isn't all that suitable for gaming. the 15" rMBA with the video card runs for just a bit more at $2500.

btw, are you REALLY dead set on a MacBook? for that money, you can buy a REALLY REALLY amazing Gaming laptop that has windows and it can play more games. (Since most games on Steam don't support Mac OS X, and the only way to play them would be to use a Windows Emulator or Boot Camp...
I'd go with 16GB if you plan to use an external monitor with it, 8GB if not. 16GB will certainly be beneficial with extremely large files but it probably isn't essential. It likely isn't needed for gaming at all, with the exception of a very few titles like Star Citizen that is currently recommending 16GB but for the most part 8GB is plenty for gaming.

And actually, Final Cut Pro X only recommends 8GB for editing 4k video so you'd probably be ok with 8GB but if you can afford the 16GB it still might be a good option to go with.

Warukyure

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
So checking apples website, the rMBA 13 with the 3.0 GHz i5 CPU upgrade and 16 GB of RAM runs about $2200. I think you're money is better spent buying the rMBA 15 with the 2.5 GHz i7 (better for multi-tasking), comes with 16 GB of RAM starting (yay?) and has a video card (if you want to play games). The base 13" rMBA ONLY has the Intel IRIS, which really isn't all that suitable for gaming. the 15" rMBA with the video card runs for just a bit more at $2500.

btw, are you REALLY dead set on a MacBook? for that money, you can buy a REALLY REALLY amazing Gaming laptop that has windows and it can play more games. (Since most games on Steam don't support Mac OS X, and the only way to play them would be to use a Windows Emulator or Boot Camp into windows which would cost more since additional software)

Solution

+1, this is good advice, pay attention.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
More memory helps with multi-tasking and multi tabs. I agree with Windows machine over Apple. The main reason you have many more options in configurations. Get a good gaming machine like Asus, MSI, Alienware and you can upgrade memory (up to 32 GB) , add multiple drives SSD or/and HD's , upgrade graphics cards (ATI or Nvidia) if you wish.

Hyde244

Reputable
Jan 11, 2015
Since the RAM is soldered into the motherboard on the new Macbook Pro Retinas - Max out your RAM! Otherwise, there will never be an opportunity to increase your RAM during the life of the laptop.

TRENDING THREADS