8X DVD Burner only reliable at 4X

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AnthonyR

"Steve Guidry" <steveguidry@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I don't have the tech reasons for the questions you ask. I'm too much of a
> practician to take the time to investigate. I just know that 2X and 4X
> works, and over the long haul, higher doesn't work, IF your goal is for
> the
> disks to be playable in a maximum number of customers' machines.
>
>> I'm not sure about what you said about higher bite rates being more
> densely
>> packed?
>
> OK, maybe I said that wrong. But you're right - - a higher bit-rate will
> overload the input buffer on some cheaper and some older players. Usually
> it just gets progressively worse, and then freezes.
>

>> I also want to ask, do you verify the data directly after the dvd has
>> been
>> burned? I know this slows things down somewhat . . .
>
> No, I just burn at 2X, and enjoy life. It's not scientific, but I don't
> trust teh error-detection on a computer to find an error it made. If it's
> important enough of a project, I do try it on each of a bank of players to
> make sure it will work on a wide variety of players.
>
> That's my process. And it works for me . . . and my customers.
>
> Steve

Hey Steve,
That stepping progression Z-CLV allows for faster than 16x and can cause
data problems when the motor changes speeds, CAV..Constant is better to use.
When I tested a batch of Verbatim dvd's recently I noticed they burned in
Z-CLV mode, and the graph during tests looks like steps.
I burn at 16x with the TY02 dvd's at CAV, so no interuptions at all to data
stream to mess up the dvd player, the tests show a curve of data increase.
I prefer than mode. Maybe the dvd's you tried at 8x and 16x used Z-CLV mode?
It's likely that or bad dye and burn errors.

When checking a few dvd burn quality test discs a while back I noticed
different brands burned in a different mode on the same machine.
I thought that odd, I thought it was machine dependant not disc, but it did.
Anyway, as the disc spins at a constant speed the inner part will part will
hold less info than the outer parts so burn speed needs to be slower
in the inner part and faster in the outerpart, that's if disc speed is
constant, that's one burn method, the other is when the disc speed itself
starts to speed
up while it gets further in the dvd, that's what you're talking about,
right?
Here is an explanation:
http://www.best16xburn.com/7.asp

As far as not trusting the computer to find errors? It's simple, the nero
burn program, has a file to burn in it's cache, it burns it to dvd. then
before ending the operation, it reads back off the dvd what it has burned
and compared the data to what it was suppose to burn, that's called
verification.
It has nothing to do with disc scans or material testing, that's another
thing.

Anyway I've had many bad verifications even while burning on 1x with a bad
batch of cheap dvd's. Maybe 1 out of 5 verified ok. The others would have 1
or 2 errors sometimes so many it was unplayable. Like I said, now even at
16x, if they verify ok, It's a 100% perfect copy of the original file, bit
for bit, exact!
The dvd burner is going to read the dvd at 1x (realtime) so burning it
slower and not verying is chancing it if you ever get a bad disc in there,
it will not play properly at the clients home or it might?
I never chance it anymore, I verify every dvd, burn at 16x and had not one
return (that was tried on a fairly new dvd player) Most people upgrade to
new players when they can't read dvd-r's their friends make, so it's no big
deal explaining to people their machine is 15 years old and can't read dvd-r
discs. :)

So come on, move up to 16x man. Are you ready for dual layer, blu-ray, high
speed burning isn't always the problem you make it out to be. You just had
lots of bad discs in the begining that only burned well at 2x and 4x and it
taught you to be careful, but new dye formulations are used now and it
reacts at faster speed with no burn errors. :)
And if you only burn in CAV mode and not Z-CLV then no possibility for speed
shift errors. :)

Then once it's data, 1 or 0, on or off, the read speed can't tell what speed
it was burned at! If it burns sucessful, and 100% exact, that's it! As long
as the burn speed is constant you'll be ok to 16x but maybe not higher. By
the way, the Verbatim dvd's burned with Z-CLV for some strange reason on my
machine when I tried them, still no errors but you can even hear the
spinning up and down noise while burning that you don't with the Taiyo Yuden
which burn linear at up to 16x.

AnthonyR.

AnthonyR

"Steve Guidry" <steveguidry@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I don't have the tech reasons for the questions you ask. I'm too much of a
> practician to take the time to investigate. I just know that 2X and 4X
> works, and over the long haul, higher doesn't work, IF your goal is for
> the
> disks to be playable in a maximum number of customers' machines.
>
>> I'm not sure about what you said about higher bite rates being more
> densely
>> packed?
>
> OK, maybe I said that wrong. But you're right - - a higher bit-rate will
> overload the input buffer on some cheaper and some older players. Usually
> it just gets progressively worse, and then freezes.
>

>> I also want to ask, do you verify the data directly after the dvd has
>> been
>> burned? I know this slows things down somewhat . . .
>
> No, I just burn at 2X, and enjoy life. It's not scientific, but I don't
> trust teh error-detection on a computer to find an error it made. If it's
> important enough of a project, I do try it on each of a bank of players to
> make sure it will work on a wide variety of players.
>
> That's my process. And it works for me . . . and my customers.
>
> Steve

Steve,
This like explains the two burning methods more. :)
But if 4x is ok for you, don't let me sound like I have to convert you, we
all do what we feel is acceptable for ourselves.
We are all adults and make informed decisions :)
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=118784

Thanks for reading,
AnthonyR.

rod

I am posting a followup to my original post regarding my problems with DVD
compatability.

1. I have found that varied brands and manufacturers of DVD media +-R/+-RW
burned at 8X in my 8X Samsung TS-H552B DVD burner do not function reliably
in many standalone DVD players. The same media burned at 4X worked in
everything that I tested
2. I purchased and installed a new 16X NEC ND-3540A burner and found that I
could burn the same 8X media mentioned above at 8X and it would work
reliably in nearly everything I tested. One example was an old Pioneer 5
disc DVD changer that would either lock up or spit out most DVD's burned at
8X on my old Samsung. When I burned an 8X Maxell DVD+R (Ritek) and a Tayo
Yuden 8X DVD-R on the NEC at 8X, the Pioneer DVD player played them without
flaw.

My unscientific conclusions:
1. I have learned from others who have posted replies to this thread that
for the sake of greater compatability with more players, it would probably
be better to burn DVD's at 4X if you are unsure of what type of DVD player
the media will be used.

2. The DVD burner itself can make a big difference. There may be some media
that works better in a particular burner and some burners although rated at
a particular speed, may not be able to reliably burn at that rated speed. I
am also wondering in general if burners, such as my new NEC that is rated at
16X can do a better job at burning a DVD at 1/2 it's rated speed (8X) than a
dvd burner that is rated at only 8X. If anyone knows about this, I would
appreciate a comment.

3. Finally, I am sold on Tayo Yuden manufactured DVD's. Although I did have
some trouble burning them at 8X in my Samsung DVD burner at 8X, they seem to
have been the most reliable of anything that I have burned. My limited
experience with them seems to match up with the media guide at
http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm . I also noticed that the Tayo
Yuden 8X DVD-R that I purchased from http://www.supermediastore.com were
read by Nero as 12X DVD's on my NEC burner.

Rod

AnthonyR

"Rod" <thelanNOSPAMman@NOSPAMcox.net> wrote in message

> 3. Finally, I am sold on Tayo Yuden manufactured DVD's. Although I did
> have some trouble burning them at 8X in my Samsung DVD burner at 8X, they
> seem to have been the most reliable of anything that I have burned. My
> limited experience with them seems to match up with the media guide at
> http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm . I also noticed that the
> Tayo Yuden 8X DVD-R that I purchased from http://www.supermediastore.com
> were read by Nero as 12X DVD's on my NEC burner.
>
> Rod

Hey Rod,

Glad to hear you can burn 8x reliably now. :)
And that the 8x show up as 12x, that's cool.
I'm not sure as I had said earlier if the same dye is used on the Taiyo
Yuden 8x silver face as the 8x white ink jet face,
but if so, then you will even be able to burn relaible up to 16x when and if
you update your burner firmware to a modified
version that allows for faster burn speeds, like a maddog version.
Either way, 8x is double the 4x you were getting before. :)
Glad to hear it.

AnthonyR.

rod

I bought some 16X Tayo Yuden white printable DVD-R and was able to burn them
at 16X in the NEC. It worked on every DVD player that I put it in. I guess
that the title of my original post should have been "8X Samsung TS-H552B DVD
burner only reliable at 4X" .

Rod

AnthonyR

Rod, that's exactly what happenned to me but I went from a memorex to Nec
and now burn perfect at 16x using 8x discs. :)

Now, he's another puzzle for you, I have two computers and a Pioneer A06
burner in the second PC.
Sometimes i come across a dvd that either has a scratch or some other
problem that doesn't allow
it to be read or ripped correctly on my NEC but can play and rip perfectly
on the Pioneer.
But that doesn't prove the Pioneer is better cause just as many times, the
reverse is true. I have dvd's
that the Pioneer can't read well and I'm able to rip and make new copies
with the NEC.

So I got out of that to keep both and it increases my chances of being able
to read almost all dvd's using
the two machines, Must have to do with different lightwave freq of lasers or
something?
AnthonyR.