[SOLVED] 90+ FPS but the game doesn't feel smooth (1080p 60hz monitor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2019
I play BFV on ultra settings, the game runs at 90+ FPS, but it feels laggy and the gameplay is not smooth. I am not talking about screen tearing, but about stuttering. And I don't understand why. I am not an expert by any means, but if I run the game at 90 fps why does it feel exactly like if it was at 45fps?

These are my specs:

• Ryzen 7 2700x
    Asus prime x470 pro
    16GB ram (DDR4 3200 mhz)
    RTX 2060 Founder's edition (6GB Vram)
    PSU Thermaltake Berlin 630w bronze
    1080p monitor (60hz)

I also run MSI afterburner while in game to check if the 2060 vram was the cause and here are the results:

• GPU temp around 70°
    GPU Usage around 95%
    Vram used: From 4.8 GB to 5.2 GB
    RAM: 9GB to 11GB
    CPU Usage: 60%
    CPU temp: also around 70°
    Avg FPS: 90+

At some point I switched everything to low, capped 120 fps and the gameplay finally felt smooth. But on ultra the game stutters, feels laggy and the gameplay is not smooth at all, even if I have 90 fps?

What could be the cause?

Solution

You CPU temps are fine. You should get a 144hz monitor. I would also suggest a 144hz monitor with freesync. That way it will be tear free with no lag.
You have a 60hz monitor, it can only show a maximum of 60fps. So you could pump out 200fps from the GPU, but the monitor will only be able to show 60fps because the monitor can only change the pixels 60 times per second.

You really should get a nice monitor to pair with that rig.

Jan 23, 2019

If that was the case, why does the game feel better at 120 fps than at 90? There should be no difference, according to what you said. Why does it stutter at 90fps but not at 120fps, if it can only show 60 fps and I get more than them out at both low and ultra?

Also, I am considering buying a 1080p 144hz monitor. I'm doing my research on the topic right now, since I dont even know what gsync is.

Jan 23, 2019
If I turn on Vsync there's no more stuttering, but there's ton of input lag. Is it a sign I should get a 144hz monitor asap?

Also yeah, I am using the stock cooler. Is 70° not safe? Should I disassemble my cpu and apply more thermal paste?

You CPU temps are fine. You should get a 144hz monitor. I would also suggest a 144hz monitor with freesync. That way it will be tear free with no lag.

Solution
Feb 19, 2019
The problem can be in your frametime
If there's not stable frametimes for 60 fps (16.6 miliseconds between frames) your fps will not match with your monitor refresh rate (that refresh an image every 16.6 ms) and you will not see "real 60 fps". Better see this to help:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yeROJQR_qE

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.