News 90s instant messaging service shuts down after 28 years — ICQ will stop working from June 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see it becoming Russia's "official" IM client, like QQ to China, especially if they develop their own OS. Between Telegram and Discord, as well as social media oriented things like Whatsapp, I don't see another service breaking through worldwide unless they do something very different

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yup, I had a pretty low ICQ number back in the day (153167). Used it a lot to talk to other friends in college in 1996 and 1997, though AOLIM kinda surpassed that in my usage. Logged in last month out of curiosity and I can still get in, but my contact list was all gone. I had been curious to see if it had been queueing up any unread messages for the last 25 years or so.

Reactions: 35below0

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yup, I had a pretty low ICQ number back in the day (153167). Used it a lot to talk to other friends in college in 1996 and 1997, though AOLIM kinda surpassed that in my usage. Logged in last month out of curiosity and I can still get in, but my contact list was all gone. I had been curious to see if it had been queueing up any unread messages for the last 25 years or so.
Thinking back, I remember being introduced to it by a friend who had a 5-digit ICQ number (in the 58,xxx range if I recall correctly), and mine was a 1xx,xxx number, I wanna say in a rough ballpark of yours, though I am not 100% sure.

Can't recall when I last logged in, though. Nor am I even 100% sure of my username. I know that the email I was using at the time no longer exists, so even if I were of a mind to log back in/password recovery/whatever, I probably couldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.