[SOLVED] 92 degrees on Stock cooler- Ryzen 5 3600

dsdani352

Commendable
Apr 7, 2018
Hi. I bought a Ryzen 5 3600 today and paired it with my MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC motherboard. The voltages seem to be fine at around 1.1V, but my temperature under load seems a bit high. It idles at around 45-50 degrees and I tried playing some games for a while ( Half an hour or so ) and the peak temperature hit 92 degrees. I guess the CPU was clocking around 4 GHz+ then. Is it normal for the stock cooler to hit these temperatures? Or does my cooler needs reseating? I didn't apply any extra thermal paste. It's just running on the factory applied paste, if that changes anything. If this is normal for the stock cooler, I really must get an aftermarket cooler. So please help me sort this out.

Solution
Use Ryzen Master and turn off PBO.

Ryzens work just fine with stock coolers under normal conditions, but gaming and pbo are not normal, they are extreme and stock cooling may or may not be sufficient.

Also the MB511 with stock fan setup isn't good for airflow. With a single rear exhaust, and 2x huge fan ports in the top, the rear exhaust really doesn't do much but suck in fresh air from the top. If you want better airflow and actually have the fan remove the heat, take some card stock, cut it to size and fit it underneath the magnetic filter. This'll mean the air from the front fans will supply the exhaust, in-out, and take the heat with it.

Or get at least 1 fan in top/rear position, which is almost directly above the socket, and...

dsdani352

Commendable
Apr 7, 2018
What is your case?
How many fans?
How's the airflow set up?
It's a coolermaster Mb511 case with front grill and 3 intake fans. There's an exhaust fan at the back. All the fans seem to be working, and I'm a bit confused because many people on online forums report similar temperatures on stock cooler, yet many of the reviews that I went through says temperatures are decent on stock cooler.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

Ryzens work just fine with stock coolers under normal conditions, but gaming and pbo are not normal, they are extreme and stock cooling may or may not be sufficient.

Also the MB511 with stock fan setup isn't good for airflow. With a single rear exhaust, and 2x huge fan ports in the top, the rear exhaust really doesn't do much but suck in fresh air from the top. If you want better airflow and actually have the fan remove the heat, take some card stock, cut it to size and fit it underneath the magnetic filter. This'll mean the air from the front fans will supply the exhaust, in-out, and take the heat with it.

Or get at least 1 fan in top/rear position, which is almost directly above the socket, and provide enough suction at the back to compensate for air gap losses.

Reactions: dsdani352
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm a bit confused because many people on online forums report similar temperatures on stock cooler, yet many of the reviews that I went through says temperatures are decent on stock cooler.
They are, but cooler efficiency also depends on case airflow.

Do you have either HWINFO or Ryzen Master? I need you to check what the max frequency your cpu hits in game? This is important, as the cooler it runs, the higher the cpu tends to boost.

Next, do the case airflow test: play your games again, but with both front and side panels removed. Check the cpu's max frequency again.
Also, what's the temperature difference between panels on and off, if any?

devinascension

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
In addition, or as a substitute, you can also use the latest version of Dragon Center (because you have a MSI board). I have had this issue with my 3600 and was able to clock down my CPU to assist my cooler in cooling.

Here is the link to their website: https://www.msi.com/Landing/dragon-center-download
Ryzen Master might be a better plan of action for you, I just use Dragon Center because of my MSI mobo and gpu.

dsdani352

Commendable
Apr 7, 2018

Or get at least 1 fan in top/rear position, which is almost directly above the socket, and provide enough suction at the back to compensate for air gap losses.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try out Ryzen master and update the results. And for the fan, yes I'll try adding one more fan to the top rear.

dsdani352

Commendable
Apr 7, 2018
They are, but cooler efficiency also depends on case airflow.

Do you have either HWINFO or Ryzen Master? I need you to check what the max frequency your cpu hits in game? This is important, as the cooler it runs, the higher the cpu tends to boost.

Next, do the case airflow test: play your games again, but with both front and side panels removed. Check the cpu's max frequency again.
Also, what's the temperature difference between panels on and off, if any?
I'll definitely do the testing today and update the results. By the way, I read the 92 C in HW monitor. I believe it was around 4 GHz. It was pretty late night yesterday so I couldn't test much. I'll do it today and update.

dsdani352

Commendable
Apr 7, 2018
In addition, or as a substitute, you can also use the latest version of Dragon Center (because you have a MSI board). I have had this issue with my 3600 and was able to clock down my CPU to assist my cooler in cooling.

Here is the link to their website: https://www.msi.com/Landing/dragon-center-download
Ryzen Master might be a better plan of action for you, I just use Dragon Center because of my MSI mobo and gpu.
Thanks. I do have dragon centre installed. I'll look at the applied settings and see if changing it helps in any way.

Reactions: devinascension

dsdani352

Commendable
Apr 7, 2018
Okay. So I looked at the clock speeds and found that my CPU was clocked at 4.2 GHz all the time with a core voltage of 1.43v. So I tried disabling PBO in the BIOS, but nothing changed. I'm not exactly sure what PBO does, could someone explain please?
Since disabling PBO didn't help I went into dragon center and changed the profile to Balanced (It was set to Gaming mode in dragon center) which brought down my clock speed to 3.6 GHz and core voltage to 1.08v. Now the temperatures seem to be fine. Around 50 degrees idle and max 85 degrees. I ran Prime 95 for a while and temperatures never went beyond 85. And Intel burn test hit nothing beyond 75 degrees. So I guess the issue is solved for now. But to utilise the CPU's full potential (Boost frequency upto 4.2 GHz), I do need an aftermarket cooler right?

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So it sounds like the problem wasn't PBO, but Dragon Center's Gaming mode. It was most likely applying a manual overclock to the cpu, which the stock cooler isn't good enough for.
Oh well, you're better off without manual overclocks on that cpu anyways.

Just leave the cpu running on the bios defaults and upgrade the cooler if you want to use PBO.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sorta everything really. Dragon Center gaming mode is like taking a Ryzen and setting PBO level 1, which is a slight OC, locking cores and pushing the cpu kinda hard. With that enabled, disabling PBO did nothing, the PBO was overridden anyways. Then add Hwmonitor into the mix and everything is wonky.

Ok, PBO is Precision Boost Overdrive, it's AMD's version of uber Turbo. It works with the temps, voltages and current uses to maximize performance of the cpu, either raising or lowering the boost depending on its built in safety limits. Auto setting is normal PBO, then there's usually 3-4 more additional levels which relax current limits and allow for a higher boost, as long as the VRM's can handle the stress. Not all VRM's or their cooling is the same, so I'd suggest not using the advanced levels.

In windows power plan, it should be set for balanced, this allows the cpu to boost or relax as needed.

Use Ryzen Master for temps, don't bother with Hwmonitor, it's unreliable for Ryzen. Use HWInfo (sensors only) if you need other voltages, but RM is pretty much enough.

dsdani352

Commendable
Apr 7, 2018
Thanks for the clarifications. I'll switch back to default BIOS settings and think about getting an aftermarket cooler. I'm looking at the coolermaster 240 RBG AIO. Is it good? Or should I go for an air cooler?