[SOLVED] 9400f or 2600x

Solution
If your main usage is to run multithreaded batch apps, then the extra threads of the 2600x will be better.
Extra threads can be useful if your gaming is multiplayer with many participants.

Otherwise it is a draw for gaming.

As to ram, a single stick on ryzen is not good.
Intel does not depend much on ram speed or dual channel(assuming a discrete graphics card)

I think I would plan on a 2 x 4gb ram kit regardless.
If you buy a intel motherboard with 4 ram slots, there is a decent chance that your odd 4gb stick will play nice, giving you 12gb.
That is called flex mode where 8gb will be dual channel, 4gb will be single channel.
Flex mode is not supported on ryzen.
Right now on a typical mid level GPU these two processors would be used with like a Vega 56 or 2070 GPUs they are very similar in game performance with a massive advantage going to the 2600x in everything else like streaming or video work. Add in the upgrade path available with the AM4 socket and I wouldn't hesitate to grab the 2600x over the 9400f.

If your main usage is to run multithreaded batch apps, then the extra threads of the 2600x will be better.
Extra threads can be useful if your gaming is multiplayer with many participants.

Otherwise it is a draw for gaming.

As to ram, a single stick on ryzen is not good.
Intel does not depend much on ram speed or dual channel(assuming a discrete graphics card)

I think I would plan on a 2 x 4gb ram kit regardless.
If you buy a intel motherboard with 4 ram slots, there is a decent chance that your odd 4gb stick will play nice, giving you 12gb.
That is called flex mode where 8gb will be dual channel, 4gb will be single channel.
Flex mode is not supported on ryzen.

Solution