9590 Stability issue at stock speed

• Thread starter Deleted member 1679688
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1679688

I'm trying to run Prime95 on my FX-9590 but within only a few minutes into the blend test my computer freezes. This chip is not overclocked. My temps never go over 58C despite having an air cooler (230W). My memory is rated for 2400 Mhz but have underclocked it to 1866 Mhz. I've had this build for around six months thought I would eventually find a solution for this situation but haven't

D

Deleted member 1679688

CPU: AMD FX-9590 Clocked at 4.7 Ghz (turbo disabled) 1.5v (220 TDP)
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 GTS (230w)
Memory: 32GB AMD R9 2400 Clocked at 1866 Mhz
Gpu: Asus R9 290x DirectCuII
Storage: 1 500GB Samsung 840 Pro and 2 1TB WD Velociraptors (Raid 0)
PSU: Cooler Master 1200W Silent Gold Pro

D

Deleted member 1679688

I actually am going to be swapping power supplies next week because the one I'm using is a used model, also it didn't come with all the cables, it's semi-modular, and the sleeved cables are ugly.

This is very telling about the CPU:

"The FX-9590 is a hot running processor and we don’t mean hot in any conventional meaning of the word either. This thing is like having a miniature nuclear reactor strapped to your motherboard; it will thoroughly overwhelm mid-tier heatsinks and AIO water coolers alike. Since it doesn’t come with an included heatsink we’re told that retailers will endeavor to bundle the FX-9590 with high end Corsair, Cooler Master or NZXT water cooling units in an effort to ensure customers won’t damage their new processors with sub-par cooling solutions.

With the potential for astronomical heat output, one would hope for an adequate way to measure temperatures. That just didn’t happen. RealTemp and CoreTemp routinely showed overly low readings and even AMD’s vaunted Overdrive utility was completely out to lunch. It claimed the chip idled at 19°C (ambient temperature was 23°) while load temperatures supposedly hit 46.7°C under load even though our Noctua NH-U14S was hot to the touch."

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/62166-amd-fx-9590-review-piledriver-5ghz-17.html

D

Deleted member 1679688

Damn good research

The only question is now what motherboard supports 220w then this is the highest tier board from Asus I know there's other brands but seriously.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Your choices for the 9590:

ASRock 990FX Extreme9
ASRock 990FX Extreme6
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7
MSI 990FXA-GD80V2

AMD.COM

Warning: This power draw of this CPU is almost twice that of the average CPU. Due to this, AMD recommends using at minimum a 1000W power supply. For cooling, AMD recommends using either either closed loop liquid cooling or full system liquid cooling.

D

Deleted member 1679688

The thing is my computer is freezing with the temp below what the thermal limit is for AMD chips (60) I've gotten 65 before without it freezing but I did shutdown Prime95. My temp when freezing is usually 57-58.

D

Deleted member 1679688

I really don't want to buy another motherboard, but understand that my board isn't well suited for this chip (even though a lot of people told me it was). When they mean "Watts" do they mean Power or Heat. Because if all I need to do is just make the Motherboard cooler by getting a better CPU cooling system I'm fine with that. But if it's electrical power and the only way to this CPU to work with the board is to underclock it then... well I really don't want to do that either.

D

Deleted member 1679688

So even though the board is rated for 140w, if I water cool my processor it will be able to run stable on blend (P95)?

D

Deleted member 1679688

I was originally going to do a custom loop but wanted to stabilize my cpu first before I spend over $300 for custom loop supplies. I'll see if I can borrows someones closed loop to see if I can run Prime95 before I do a custom.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

That board is probably the best board for running the 9590 there is. It is also on the approved list of boards from AMD to run the 9370 and 9590.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

You have absolutely the best board there is for the 9590. The best AMD overclockers in the world all seem to use your board. Including the Stilt.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

To be honest. If you undervolted the 9590 a bit. Run it at like 4.5 GHz on all 8 cores. Turn Turbo off. You would basically have a 8350. But still a really fast cpu till you upgrade your cooling and power supply.