95dpi 29in monitor or 82dpi 34in monitor?

gamingwoop

Honorable
Apr 29, 2015
I've decided to buy a 21:9 monitor - not the 1440p ones because my GPU would struggle slightly (and dat price doe), but the 2560x1080p versions.

From LG, there's 29in options:
- 95 dots/pixels per inch
- £240

And there's also 34in options:
- 82 dots/pixels per inch
- £400

I have at the moment a 100dpi screen and it's sharpness is fine. My brother has a 95dpi screen and it's sharpness is also fine. So I know the 29in would be okay. But the 34in has nearly 20 less pixels per inch....would this be noticeable? I'm leaning towards yes, it will be. And I can't seem to justify the nearly 2x price range compared to the 29in...the only advantage of the 34in is that it has FreeSync and it's bigger.

Thoughts/advice/experience?

Thanks for all responses :)

Solution
How far away from the monitor will you be? That determines the "arc degrees" (or something like that that determines whether you can observe individual pixels. This became big when Apple started with "retina" displays, but has always been around.

Here is a good read: http://jaredjared.com/2012/10/visual-acuity-dpi/

Freesync is a big deal if you run AMD graphics cards and is IMHO a more user-friendly alternative than the Nvidia G-Synch that is licensed and costs additional on each monitor.

More than that I don't have, I don't personally like those ultra-wide aspect monitors. :) I prefer two side-by-side monitors. But then I don't really game much on my monitors. If I do, I use only one monitor and have other things open on the 2nd...
How far away from the monitor will you be? That determines the "arc degrees" (or something like that that determines whether you can observe individual pixels. This became big when Apple started with "retina" displays, but has always been around.

Here is a good read: http://jaredjared.com/2012/10/visual-acuity-dpi/

Freesync is a big deal if you run AMD graphics cards and is IMHO a more user-friendly alternative than the Nvidia G-Synch that is licensed and costs additional on each monitor.

More than that I don't have, I don't personally like those ultra-wide aspect monitors. :) I prefer two side-by-side monitors. But then I don't really game much on my monitors. If I do, I use only one monitor and have other things open on the 2nd monitor.

Solution

Johnny Downgrief

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
It depends. For gaming and movies the 34" 2560*1080 is a great choice. For overall productivity (word, excel, web browsing) I would recommend either 29" 2560*1080 or 34" 3440*1440. 34" 3440*1440 is a great choice for productivity and gaming and size, but you would need a really powerful graphics card (in a range of 980ti or Titan X).

gamingwoop

Honorable
Apr 29, 2015

I would need to sit 42inches, over a metre, to achieve "Retina" quality with the 34in. Which is a bit excessive. I think the 29in is the one I'll get, especially with the £150 savings..

How effective is FreeSync?

I've loved the 21:9 ratio since I heard about it. In my opinion its the sweet spot for monitors :)

gamingwoop

Honorable
Apr 29, 2015

Yeah I agree. I think the 29" for now, and the 34" 3440x1440 when I upgrade my build in the future (to a 980Ti or CrossFire 290x)

Hmm 42 inches. Maybe apply the same calculation to your current monitors and adjust for that. One does not really need "retina" quality, it's a little OTT. :)

Freesync and G-Sync are the next big things in gaming. Adaptive frame rates promise a huge increase in visual quality and load on GPUs. However, it's up for debate whether Nvidia with 75% of the market will win with their licensing model of if AMD with 25% will win with a free model that has been adopted as a standard.

It's like one of those standards wars all over again and one can just as easily end up with obsolete technology, Anyone remember HD-DVD? ha ha . left in the dust of the Blu-ray standard.

gamingwoop

Honorable
Apr 29, 2015
My current screen is 34 inches for retina, the 29in LG will be 36 inches so I think it's the optimal option for me.

Haha yes, I believe Nvidia will continue to dominate as they seem to do so well already, kind of like Apple in a way...but I have a Radeon so the FreeSync should benefit me some.

Thanks for all your help :)