[SOLVED] 9600k OC Question

LowTier

Reputable
Dec 1, 2019
67-68C using real bench stress test.
4.8ghz
1.31V
uncore on auto.

Can I go up to 5ghz? what should I try setting vcore to?
What's a safe temp for daily use? I don't want to cause long term damage.

Additional info: I have 2 top intake fans, 1 intake on the bottom, 1 intake in the front and 1 exhaust on the rear.

Last edited:
Solution
That is not the right utility for thermal compliance testing. Please read this, specifically, at least the section on thermal and stabilty testing, which are two entirely different things. Reading the rest of it would probably be to your advantage as well.

That is not the right utility for thermal compliance testing. Please read this, specifically, at least the section on thermal and stabilty testing, which are two entirely different things. Reading the rest of it would probably be to your advantage as well.

Reactions: LowTier
Solution

LowTier

Reputable
Dec 1, 2019

Amazing guide, thank you so much. Read all of it and feel 100% more confident.

Bobbysix

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
If you are wanting to hit 5 GHz, it depends on a variety of factors such as your cooling setup and whether you won the silicon lottery or not. It also depends on what you class as being a stable overclock. Some will say that an overclock is not stable unless it can cope with 24 hours of Prime 95 with ATX enabled. Also consider how much difference you will see between 4.8 and 5.0 GHz - probably very little. I have a i7 9700 K and it can easily handle an overclock of 4.8 GHz but 5 GHz requires so much extra voltage and therefore heat it isn’t worth it.

Reactions: Darkbreeze

LowTier

Reputable
Dec 1, 2019
Yea I was considering that. I'm trying to find the percentage of an increase it would actually be. 2% isn't much and it isn't even 1:1. It would technically be lower than a 2% increase right. I'm going to work on lowering voltage and keep it at 4.8 for longevity. As far as ATX being enabled I feel it's overkill in prime95.

Actually, going from 4.8Ghz to 5Ghz would be a 4.16667% increase.

Going from a maximum boost of 4.6Ghz to 4.8Ghz would be about a 4.3% increase, but, it's really more than that because that 4.6Ghz is the single core boost speed (Without MCE enabled) so if you have a 4.8Ghz all core overclock then you actually are looking at comparing more like an all core boost of only 4.3Ghz to an all core of 4.8Ghz, which is more like a boost of 11.6% in performance.