[SOLVED] 9600k vs 7600k worth upgrade?

silverz

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
Hi, I'm not up to date with the latest hardware and haven't been able to keep up to date with benchmarks for some time now.

For the purpose of gaming, is the i5 9600k a worthwhile upgrade over the i5 7600k?
I don't want a few extra fps, I'd like to see a significant difference to performance to justify the cost of the upgrade.

The gpu paired with it is the rtx 2080.

Thanks!

Solution
You'd get 2 more cores (50% more) and a slight bit more clock (300MHz on all-core, around 7.5%) plus the minor improvements in architecture.

Assuming both aren't overclocked. If your games use the cores, then you can see maybe 60-70% better performance (which I'd call significant) , if not you get maybe 10-15% more (which you can get by oc'ing the 7600k ).
So not really worth it, and for the 2080 both might be the limiting factor anyway.

But since you need a new board anyway, looking at something else might be a better option. Lot's of relatively cheap 4c/8t and 6c/12t chips that would give better value for money.
You realise you need a new motherboard? I personally wouldn’t but a 6 core 6 thread cpu as an upgrade from a 4 core 4 thread cpu. As you are going to need a new motherboard I would be looking at 6 core 12 thread options at least. What RAM do you have? It’s common that RAM paired with a 7600k is often slow by today standards.

silverz

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
You realise you need a new motherboard? I personally wouldn’t but a 6 core 6 thread cpu as an upgrade from a 4 core 4 thread cpu. As you are going to need a new motherboard I would be looking at 6 core 12 thread options at least. What RAM do you have? It’s common that RAM paired with a 7600k is often slow by today standards.

ram is corsair vengeance 3000mhz.
if I upgrade the motherboard what would be the best performance/value cpu to go for?
Happy to switch away from intel if needed.

Am I looking at needing new ram too?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Put simply, no.

I would not spend significant money upgrading a 7th gen unless you stumble across a 7700K for super cheap. This would also be dependent on your having purchased a motherboard that has VRM/power delivery strong enough to run the i7.
Keep in mind that several of the 3xxx Ryzen 3 made the i7 7700 functionally obsolete for FAR less money.

Where I hate to be that "wait and see" guy, there are imminent releases from Intel and AMD on completely new socket/platform which will make everything on the current CPU/mobo market yesterday's news. Even if you aren't looking at those, you should see a glut of used bits being sold off by those who wish to stay on the bleeding edge of consumer tech.

You'd get 2 more cores (50% more) and a slight bit more clock (300MHz on all-core, around 7.5%) plus the minor improvements in architecture.

Assuming both aren't overclocked. If your games use the cores, then you can see maybe 60-70% better performance (which I'd call significant) , if not you get maybe 10-15% more (which you can get by oc'ing the 7600k ).
So not really worth it, and for the 2080 both might be the limiting factor anyway.

But since you need a new board anyway, looking at something else might be a better option. Lot's of relatively cheap 4c/8t and 6c/12t chips that would give better value for money.

Solution