970 GTX fan question

agitation88

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017
Hi guys, after about a year one of the fans on my 970 strix is making a weird clicking noise which I believe is the bearing, cant do anything about it at the moment so just wondering if its alright to just use 1 fan? ive disconnected the one so only one fan spins.
I did a gpu benchmark and the temps were around 70-73 with 50% fan spin
Could I keep it like this without damaging the card for the time being until I upgrade or order a new fan for it.
Thanks

Solution
Did you buy the card new? If so, I'd suggest contacting ASUS as it should still be under warranty:
http://www.commercialsupport.asus.com/graphics-card-warranty

While they may simply replace the fan, they may choose to 'upgrade' you to a newer, comparable (or better card).

To answer your question though, provided temps are in 'safe' ranges with just the one fan (and you're not having to run the one working fan @ 100% to ensure that's the case), it's completely safe to do so.

Saying that, I'd be very surprised if a Strix 970 can truly perform to it's best while running with only one fan.
If one fan could let the 970 do it's thing fully..... at only 50% fan speed, you'd have to question why it would ship with two to begin with.
if the 70-73 are at full load then yes its safe if possible mount one Case fan on the bottom or the side of the case to improve the airflow so that one of the case fan blows air directly to the GPU
there is not need to worry about tho you can keep it that way without damaging the card even if the temp reaches too much it wont damage the card its just shutdown the system:)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Did you buy the card new? If so, I'd suggest contacting ASUS as it should still be under warranty:
http://www.commercialsupport.asus.com/graphics-card-warranty

While they may simply replace the fan, they may choose to 'upgrade' you to a newer, comparable (or better card).

To answer your question though, provided temps are in 'safe' ranges with just the one fan (and you're not having to run the one working fan @ 100% to ensure that's the case), it's completely safe to do so.

Saying that, I'd be very surprised if a Strix 970 can truly perform to it's best while running with only one fan.
If one fan could let the 970 do it's thing fully..... at only 50% fan speed, you'd have to question why it would ship with two to begin with.

Solution

agitation88

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

Yeah thats full load
I just played Mad Max for about 3 hours and temps were at 54d which is still good so I guess it'll be okay combined with my case and inhouse fans. Thanks!