970 SLI not performing as well as it used to.

Danny314

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
Hello,

Over the last couple months my computer's performance had decreased significantly. Desktop taking ages to load, games having much lower FPS than before, crashes and just a non-smooth, buggy experience recently.

What really concerned me is that the SteamVR test has gone from a very high score down to a medium yellow (I know it isn't the most accurate test). Before creating this post, I decided to clean my desktop and downloads folder equaling around 60 GBs of data. Once everything was sorted into other hard drives and off my OS drive everything started to speed up. Decided to take the test again and still not what it used to be.

I've tried troubleshooting a lot of remedies found searching online but none seem to work. Another issue that seems to be a bit worry-some is that some programs aren't detecting my SLI even though the NVIDIA Control Panel says they are both activated. This current build is 3 weeks from a year old and it hasn't had any issues until recently.

The performance is quite noticeable though, for example, in League of Legends I would average around 400 FPS and now dips into the >80s. I had to recently return Watch_Dogs 2 due to crashes and extremely low fps. I just don't want to invest into a 1080 at the moment and want to get the most of my relatively new 970s.

I'll be more than happy to provide any information needed to help resolve this issue and optimize my computer back to its prime status. Thanks for any help provided! :D I'll provide some broad specs now (all at stock clocks):

CPU: Intel 5820k
GPU: EVGA SSC+ 970
EVGA SSC+ 970
Storage: Intel PCI-E 750 SSD

Sincerely,
Danny3142

Danny314

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014

It seems to be performing exactly the same once the decline started to happen.

CorsairSSC

Respectable
Aug 9, 2016

Hey Danny,

Please check what API you are using to play the newest games. Although the GTX 970 can support DX 12, it is not very good at it; I recommend playing everything in DX 11 for a Maxwell GPU.

ya, the way nivdia and developers are jacking around with it [sli] it's like there trying to do away with it

like the newer 10 series only support 2 way and the lower end cards don't support it at all anymore

next maybe only the top end card may support sli then no cards will ??

TRENDING THREADS