[SOLVED] 9700k + 3080 underperforming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 8, 2022
Hey all- my pc is making me want to pull my hair out.

Specs:
i7 9700k
ID Cooling Auraflow
Zotac Trinity OC 3080 12gb
ASUS Prime z390-a
32gb of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @3200 mhz
EVGA 700 GD
PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YjFY8r
UserBenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/55765951

Basically, I've been playing Spider-Man Remastered and realized my frames are extremely low for my hardware. I'm getting anywhere from low 20s-low 40s depending on the scene, with and without Ray Tracing and DLSS doesn't make much of a difference. I also launched Elden Ring to see how it would perform, and it has a similar outcome, 30-45 fps depending on the scene. It's probably worth mentioning that I've just recently bought the 3080, less than a month ago. Upgraded from a 2070 Super. I've been going through tons of threads on here and found that many people have similar issues, but none of the fixes from those threads seem to help at all.
I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning, but in games like Valorant and Overwatch I get the expected 300-400 fps.
I noticed that in UserBenchmark(linked above) my gpu seems to be underperforming as a whole. My mobo only has PCIe 3.0, so maybe that's why? I don't think that would affect my in-game performance as much as it's lacking though. I do plan on upgrading to Ryzen 7000 series relatively soon but that will take a while to save the money since I have to basically build a new PC for it, so I'd like to get this PC performing as much as possible.
Temps seem relatively normal, CPU normally sitting around low-mid 70s(sometimes going to mid 80s but not for long), and GPU normally sitting high 60s-low 70s.
GPU Usage normally sits in the high 80s-90s while CPU is normally in the 70s.

What I've tried so far:
-Reinstalling drivers
-Uninstalling current drivers(using DDU) and running a previous set
-Uninstalling drivers and GeForce Experience and installed drivers directly from NVIDIA's website
-Fully uninstalling drivers and trying to run games like that(didn't expect much but I'm desperate)
-Updating BIOS
-Reseating GPU, reseating RAM, unplugging and replugging every power cable (8pin CPU, 6pins GPU, 24pin MOBO)
-I fully wiped my PC today as a last resort, and even that didn't affect anything.

I think I included most details but if you have any questions please ask, I've been trying different things for hours on end for 2 days now and am getting to my wits end.

Edit for people who may be having a similar issue, didnt find a proper fix unfortunately. The PCIe slot on my motherboard is locking at x1, rather than x16(to check this, run the render test on GPU-Z, and look at Bus Interface. Should look like 'PCIe x16 4.0 @ x16 4.0 or whatever your GPU supports.), and its happening across two different GPUs. I assume my motherboard is just faulty. Will be upgrading soon.

Last edited: