[SOLVED] 9700k and Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition?

johnsoner13

Respectable
I currently have a 2600 with this cooler and since the 9700k+a decent z390 mobo are at an awesome price at microcenter right now I want to upgrade. I don’t like spending lots of money at once though and would like to keep my current cooler for a bit until I get an arctic liquid freezer ii later. Will my current hyper 212 rgb black edition be sufficient for 9700k stock speeds? Just gaming

Solution
It's going to depend.

If you were talking base speed, then sure, not a problem. But you're referring to stock operation instead.
Theoretically, it should be OK, except in titles that use AVX - that's when the lil' Hyper 212 starts sweating bullets.
AVX, while not widely used in games yet, it is still there, and I believe it should be accounted for.

Another thing that's problematic is that the information on games that do use AVX isn't readily available.
Just last week there was this thread about temperature concerns. It was through that I found out that Battlefield V uses AVX; the cpu ran hotter in that game than it did in Prime 95, Small FFT, AVX off...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's going to depend.

If you were talking base speed, then sure, not a problem. But you're referring to stock operation instead.
Theoretically, it should be OK, except in titles that use AVX - that's when the lil' Hyper 212 starts sweating bullets.
AVX, while not widely used in games yet, it is still there, and I believe it should be accounted for.

Another thing that's problematic is that the information on games that do use AVX isn't readily available.
Just last week there was this thread about temperature concerns. It was through that I found out that Battlefield V uses AVX; the cpu ran hotter in that game than it did in Prime 95, Small FFT, AVX off...

Solution